Kerouac (1 Viewer)

fish fingers

HSC
I asked this in a comment, but I believe this may be more effective.

What do people think of Jack Kerouac's work? Do people like his work, and spontaneous prose in particular, or do they hate it? In particular what do people think of On The Road?

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
he is absolutely awesome <3 reminds me of jon foreman in many ways, they both have a way with words

walrusbear

HSC
he's pretty good

i enjoyed on the road anyway

AboveClevel

HSC
I personally didnt care for him but then again people tell me that I'm an ass when it comes to reviewing books and movies.

mugnet

HSC
i LOVE on the road..some of the descriptions of places, especially near the end of the book when they are in south america, just make me want to go there so badly!!
most of the musicians/writers/poets i like were heavily influenced by Kerouac so thats got account for something too..

ah to live in the times where you could be a proper rambling traveller, just "digging" everything and having wild times (sigh)...

mugnet

HSC
this is pretty non-related but what do you all think of T.S Eliot?
i just started reading his poetry and it's not "streams-of-conciousness" like Kerouac but in a way it's a similar style (written before Kerouac though) and im really enjoying it..especially the "Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

05er

HSC
I'm not an "ass to books" but when comparing Kerouac to a lot of the other (particularly Irish) stream-of-conc writers he seems to lack the repeated refrain which brightens the form. A technique found in my personal favourite: Joyce.

Kerouac's tendancy for nihilism also sets him down a rather cliche'd course of resolution and a sardonic misaprehension that because a book "is depressing that its message is more poignant."

Kerouac - 7/10.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
05er: you are a fucking retard. seriously.

and puh-leassse dont compare kerouac to t.s eliot. completely idiotic.

mugnet

HSC
it may be idiotic, thats why i said it was non-related. i figured i'd mention it because i assumed that maybe ppl who enjoy kerouac would enjoy eliot's work.
obviously i was wrong.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
just because two people seem to write in the same style, that does not mean that they are at all similar or that they were writing for the same audience. eliot was a modernist/structuralist the opposite of what the beats were trying to achieve. im not sure why one would assume that kerouac fans would enjoy eliot. even kerouac himself hated eliot.

mugnet

HSC
im not going to fight with you about it absolution.
i dont know enough about kerouac or eliot to keep debating so i'm officially letting go..

next time i wont make assumptions because as the wise david brent once said "it makes an 'ass' out of you and me"

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
mugnet said:
im not going to fight with you about it absolution.
i dont know enough about kerouac or eliot to keep debating so i'm officially letting go..

next time i wont make assumptions because as the wise david brent once said "it makes an 'ass' out of you and me"
when does he say that?

mugnet

HSC
its somewhere in series 2 or in the christmas specials..i cant remember.
a friend and i are having an office marathon on saturday night so i'll be sure to let you know just so you dont take to thinking i made it up or something!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)