KEY ASPECTS of Imaginative Journey Chosen Texts (1 Viewer)

amunce

HSC
I was reading over the ETA guide on "How to Compose a AOS Essay" - http://community.boredofstudies.org/44/english-area-study/44354/how-compose-essay-area-study.html,
and read this second piece of advice that is offered:

"2. Identify which aspects of the prescribed text will best assist you in exploring, analysising, questioning and articulating the ways in which perceptions of changed are outlined. Stick to this plan."

Basically i was wondering if anyone could explain to me and briefly overview the key aspects and quotes (including how they link + relate) for the Coleridge poems, Frost at Midnight, and Kubla Khan. And how they may relate to or have common links with ANY of the Stimulus booklet sources (as that will help me choose for good which Stim. Booklet text i will choose).

Also if possible - does anyone have any reccomendations for which Stimulus booklet text works best with the Coleridge poems (if there is one that does) and any recomendations for related texts.

Ok well thankyou i am just doing some last minute cramming study for my Paper 1 English Trial tomorrow and could use all the help i can get.

This website it so good btw. lol dont know what i'd do without it.

rachael.mcgee

HSC
I'm doing Lime Tree and Ancient Mariner as my coleridge poems, but I started off working with Kubla Khan -- I think 'Journey to The Interior' works quite well with it because it's about the amazing power/danger of the imagination. Both poems have very surreal/dreamlike qualities, thinks aren't quite how you'd expect them to be eg. Xanadu is full of contradictions "a sunny pleasure dome with caves of ice" and Atwood's mind "my shoe among the brambles under the chair where it shouldn't be", only 2 examples of many.
The poems also have a kind of inaccessible structure -- well, maybe not inaccessible, but Kubla Khan has this random little added on bit at the end ("a lady with a dulcimer i once saw" or whatever) and Journey to the Interior's structure follows the illogical wanderings of the imagination whist on the journey -- enjabment adds to the sense of disorientation and altered state of mind which has resulted.
hope that helps a little bit, sorry didn't answer first part of Q but that's all i got

em276

HSC
hey. i am doing this lime tree bower my prison and frost at midnight. i am using margaret atwoods journey to the interior from the stimulus booklet. the quotes which i use include the introduction and other various quotes which contain the techniques for example
"The roaring dell, o'erwooded, narrow, deep; and only speckled by the midday sun; where its slim trunk the ash from rock to rock flings arching like a bridge."
In that quote, the roaring dell is personafied and onomatopoeia is used to emphasise this. Colour imagery about the sun, and the simile "like a bridge".
these two poems contain vast amounts of techniques, but it is hard to remember as they don't have the rhyme schemes as kubla khan.
coleridge,atwood and my two other related texts have issues about the appreciation of nature, the experiences of the imaginative journey on the individuals and the need to return to reality from the imagination, which atwood covers in her final lines "what ever i do i must keep my head. i know it is easier for me to lose my way forever here, than in other landscapes."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)