Key Questions/Issues (1 Viewer)

Blue View

HSC
Hey ppl, does anyone have answers/points regarding the key questions and issues at the end of the syllabus? I've had a look over them and seeming as though this is my worst topic in the legal syllabus I think I'm screwed!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

cassdogazz

HSC
heres the first 2

1. A) what are the familial arrangements recognised by law?

the law recognizes many types of family arrangements including:
· nuclear families
· extended families
· blended families
· single parent families
· aboriginal and Torres strait islander customary law marriages
· de facto relationships
· same sex relationships
· polygamous marriages

B) why does the law respond differently to different family arrangements?
The law responds differently to different family relationships because it recognizes the acceptance of society of such relationships and the individual rights of those who enter into such relationships. Society places laws upon different family arrangements to ensure that all families have legal protection, in particular children.

C) WHAT CHANGES HAVE TAKEN PLACE
· 1984-de facto relationships act - gave rights regarding property, maintenance and children to people living in a de facto relationship for 2 years
· status of children act 1996(NSW)
· de facto relationships act amended in 1999 to include same sex couples

2. why is marriage a legal institution
as the family is seen to provide the base on which society operates, responsibilities exist between the partners and the law is involved. marriage is a legal institution because it is both a private commitment between two people and a public contract. it is a legally binding document so it protects the members of, and children of, that marriage.

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
changes to the law... for family....

this one just came into effect this year in july... the Family (shared Parental Responsibility) Act 2006... basically care of the child should be 50/50... trying to meet outcomes that are in "the best interests of the child" and has a paramount consideration which is derived from UNCROC....

revhead.meg

HSC
thanks for the answers to the questions on the syllabus.
what else do you think has been the major adjustments made to family legislation that has been an improvement on past legislation?
apart from the one that was already mentioned by Mr. Sabuncuoglu.

=)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)