King Arthur For Major Assignment (1 Viewer)

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Hey All
I've just started year 12 and Im doing extension history. I've decided, for my major assignment, to do Representations of History: King Arthur case study. I'm just wondering has anyone ever done a topic similar to this one and if this is the case what advice can you give me? Anything at all will be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well, I did Robert the Bruce (long ago), although that is fact with myth rather than myth with fact. It was interesting, and I would recommend it as a topic to anyone.
With King Arthur you should try and determine what type of representation you will be discussing prior to your actual research, as you are no doubt aware that there are numerous representations (from myth or fact, locality, modern adulation, etc) out there and you would not want to be side-tracked. However, one thing that I found with Robert the Bruce was that my original intention was lost once I began reading, which was great because it saved me from having to be overly critical of Braveheart with regards to Bruce's role in the Wars for Scottish Independence.
That wasn't much help, was it? It would be a great topic, though. It was my topic at one stage, but I can't remember why I changed my mind.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hey,
well i my class did this as a sample case study so...i suggest you look at how the myth is adapted at different pionts in history to suit political agenda's. look at the early british monk reports, than at geoffry monemoth who is french..who presents the french lamcelot as wonderful and arthur as a spineless wimp, and monemoth wrote during a period of rivalry between england and france = change in perspective. Get the idea? thats my advice anyway...its up to u what adaptations you use

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
That wasn't much help, was it? It would be a great topic, though. It was my topic at one stage, but I can't remember why I changed my mind.
Generator, thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. Yes, of course it helped. Any information is better than no information. I really like this topic; it should be really interesting to study. Once again thankyou.

Shelley thanks for that perspective, it helped out a lot. I didnt know about the French historian and what he wrote so Ill defiantly go have a look into that.

Thanks a lot
Any further suggestions or comments would be excellent thanks guys.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hey craig

Umm i don't know if these will come in handy but the 4 perpsectives of Arthur my class focused on where;

*Nennius - i have an excerpt but NO idea wher it came from! (sorry)
*Thomas Malory - Morte D'Arthur
*Geoffry of Monemouth - I think its called The Legend of King Arthur...but i could be wrong..either way hes famous so it shouldn't be hard to track down!
*First Knight - movie

I have notes on the context of these perspectives and why they came about and such...email or Pm if you'd like these....i hope this helps!!!!!

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Hey Shelley
I've recently been studying Geoffry of Monemouth however I have not heard about Nennuius and Thomas Malory. Your notes would be much appreciated though. I also personal messaged you.
Thanx a lot.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
the essay that came 3rd in the 2002 HTA competition was on king arthur... you should try and track it down...

jellicle

I did King arthur as my pip for extension history last year and my assessment was marked as a panel. I would recommend that you find something similar but not King Arthur himself as all the teachers etc who marked my assessment said it was a very hard topic choice as there is not enough controversy. I did where is he buried and a bit about who he was etc. If you decide to persevere with the topic, go to http://www.britannia.com/history/h12.html
This is by far the most extensive site on king arthur apart from arthuriana itself which you have to pay for access to and i no longer have the link. Goodluck and contact me if you need more help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)