King Lear advice (1 Viewer)

Morgues

I know my trial will basically ask how two scenes can be presented using 2 different readings

I am planning to use the Aristotelian and the feminist, apart from the last scene does anyone know what other scene can be interpreted using both a feminist and a aristotelian reading?

Got a feeling its a bad combination to use

Lee

don't really know what you are asking but one thing don't assume your trials are something, you may be dissappointed. i don;'t know what an aristotelian reading is but feminist views can be carried throughout the whoel play incl last scene. by changing a few things any view shoudl be able to be carried out through the whole play.

sif not 99

meh, u ppl with your new age readings.

my line up is,

dont think u can beat my marxist/redemtpive/traditonal reading
+ a nihilistic reading.

esther

HSC
well if ur gonna do the feminist reading it wont b a bad idea to do the scene that goneril and regan gang up on lear.... i read somewhere that the 2 sisters arent doin anything bad.. theyre just stickin up for themselves and in those times, females stickin up for themselves wasnt that something u c often and the 2 sis were portrayed as evil because of that reason....

Lozza_mc

king lear -femanist reading

hey all,
can anyone explain cordellia to me in relation to a femanist reading...she confuses me! thanx:confused:

ALF STEWART

can anyone give me a short simple summary in one paragraph of what actually goes on in king lear. cheers

Lee

hehe. ok alf. lets test myself and see if i know.

king lear decides to divide his kingdom and retire. he plans to give out his kjingdom according to how much his 3 daughters, cordelia, goneril and regan love him. cordelia can not express her love so Lear banishes her, along with banishing his faithful sidekick kent who gets in the way when lea is angry. lear plans to live wth his daugers on a monthly basis taking with him 100 knights. he lives with goneril and regan but both get pissed off at his knights being rowdy and cast him out into a storm. lear goes out into the storm talks to people and realises what a mistake he's made. cordelia who since married france brings lear back in and they end up having civil war aginst the evil sisters. lear and france and cordelia lose the battle and cordelia is hung. lear strikken with grief dies.

sorry this will be two paragraphs considering there are two plots...

so meanwhile back at the ranch......

edmond, bastard son of gloucestor and 1/2 brothor of edgar plans and evil plot to get all lthe inheritence from gloucestor, who would have initially given all the edgar becasue he is not a bastard. he tricks edmond into beliebeing gloucestor is after him and tricks gloucestor into believing edgar wants to kill him. so edgar goes off and dresses up as a mad guy and talks to lear and stuff in the storm...blah blah blah...gloucestor talks to cordelia or lear or someone on that side and goneril and regan punish him as being a traitor (talking to the enemy) and take out his eyes. edmond gets gloucestors title. now edmond wants more and goneril and regan (one married and the other widowed) both like him. he doe snot tell either to go away or either to come nearer, so he lets them fight it out and he plans that whoever wins he will be able to be with and end upo being king. regan and goneril and up killing each other - one by poisining the other and then killing herself. edmond is killed in a fight. meanwhile gloucestor decides to kill himself and asks a guy to guide him to the cliffs of dover where he can jumpo off. the guy is actually edgar. edgar makes glucestor believe that he has jumped off but was saved by the gods. nevertheless gloucestor realises how wrong he was and dies from emotinal pain. now kent edgar and albany (wife of goneril ro regan i forget which) are lerft to look afte rhet kingdom. the end blah blah blah....

so no, king lear can not be siummed up in one shport paragraph. )(after all is is a three hr long play)i'm sure some of this is wrong but that the general idea.

Lee

Re: king lear -femanist reading

Originally posted by Lozza_mc
hey all,
can anyone explain cordellia to me in relation to a femanist reading...she confuses me! thanx:confused:

i think i've read that she is seen as a mother figure overl lear....not too sure. go and read a feminist reading:)

Lozza_mc

Re: Re: king lear -femanist reading

Originally posted by Lee

i think i've read that she is seen as a mother figure overl lear....not too sure. go and read a feminist reading:)
thanx dude but the exam is in less than 13 hours! so i think im just gunna have to guess and hope im rite!

Zostarz

nebody who is lookin for an interesting reading of King Lear and has foxtel watch the movie "King Of Texas" on the Halmark chanel is a modern country version and an interesting take on the traditional version. Good Luck for the trials I have just finished my english ones!!!!

Confuzzled?!

HSC
that would be useful to those who don't have an exam in less than 12 hours! omg..it's in less than 12 hours!!!!!

lol......

texas of what? lol...

king lear...ZZZ......

everything...zzzz.......

|_wise_|

Re: Re: king lear -femanist reading

Originally posted by Lee

where do i obtain these ****** readings????

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Re: king lear -femanist reading

Originally posted by Lozza_mc
hey all,

I'd say (and I hope I'm right - exam tomorrow) that looking at Cordelia having her own opinion is what I'd consider to be the first sign of a feminist reading. Consider that she's been trapped within a patriarchal paradigm for her entire life (you'd have to say that Lear is the ultimate patriarchal figure in this play!) and she breaks out of that by refusing to play Lear's 'tell me how much you love me' game. That she accedes that her 'heart goes with it' is a sign that she is not being forced to bow to the dominant male figure in her life.. and that's feminist, yeah?

Hmm, I'd also say that emphasising Cordy as being more than simply a saint-like figure would also emphasise the feminist aspects of the play. You could say that she's more than the 'madonna' part of the madonna/whore dichotomy, again stressing her uniquity and avoidance of Lear's attempt to commodify/objectify her (by marrying her off). (other opinions on this one? still kind of confused myself.. ack.)

You can highlight the feminist reading by giving the daughters different reactions to the misogynistic comments that Lear, Edmond etc make (can't think of any off the top of my head) - outraged vs docile. Hmm.. and from something I read, don't confuse feminist with completely afeminine - like, Gonerill and Regan wearing army clothes wouldn't necessarily make it a feminist reading since it takes away their femininity entirely.

Hope any of that helped.
good luck. :)

Confuzzled?!

HSC
OMG!!!!

LEAR in section II was HORRIBLE!!!!!!

argh! arghh! arghhh!!

"QUOTE HERE" (i'm not telling it! Lol..incase u have the same question)
Is this the main preoccupation of the tradegey of King Lear? In ur answer, COVERED TO MAKE SURE U DON'T CHEAT IN UR ENGLISH TRIAL COZ I KNOW SOME HAVEN'T DONE IT YET...used by shakespeare to COVERED FOR SAME REASON the play.

and what bloody happens?!

it ends up we had to write about the other interpretations!!!

that's not fair! it wasn't clearly stated....
only in the bit where it said "you will be assessed on:
EVAULATE THE TEXT'S RECEPTION IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS
"
shooot! me and jimmy did that bit wrong, the other 3 guys in our class talked about Brook and Hynter and Kosky and stuff....i dunno about the rest of the girls in my class...omg! stuffed it up!!! arghh..arghh....canterbury Girls' High school UAI average..MARKED DOWN! LOL

it was horrible!!!

*CRIES*
horribleeee!!!! i only liked 50th gate...haven't finished reading the book..but i wrote a nice 2 and a half pages on history and memory crap..in 30minutes....my personal record ever! HAHAHHA :D

Alex

Some people still do not understand the trial system.

Everyone who does the catholic trials do it at the same time
Everyone who does the independent trials do it at the same time
and so on....
so if you are hiding something it doesnt matter cause people who have not yet done their trial are doing a different one

Confuzzled?!

HSC
ahhh......? u think?

better be safe than sorrie anywayz.
can't let people cheat! not good for HSC! lol.

Lee

Re: Re: Re: king lear -femanist reading

Originally posted by |_wise_|

where do i obtain these ****** readings????

you obtain these ****ing readings at your local or school libraries who usually keep a nice collection of english crap in file drawers. if not ask your english teachers who may be able to sqeeze some out for you.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by sar
If anyone saw the CUT Theatre production of Lear, the director's notes and stuff are up on their website (www.cuttheatre.com.au). It really helped me, so maybe you guys will find it useful too. :)
Just being picky, the director of that production (Megan Finlay) annoyed me (and most of my grade)! There was something way too pretentious about her "I cut the Fool because I felt his lines weren't relevant" - considering the Fool represents the theme of truth through the play, that's a bit steep.

A bit o/t, sorry :)

Lee

Originally posted by anti

Just being picky, the director of that production (Megan Finlay) annoyed me (and most of my grade)! There was something way too pretentious about her "I cut the Fool because I felt his lines weren't relevant" - considering the Fool represents the theme of truth through the play, that's a bit steep.

A bit o/t, sorry :)

also she didn't say why they wern;t relevent really. i haven't read he notes yet.does it say?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)