King Lear at Bondi Pavillion? (1 Viewer)

Kutay

University
HSC
hey i was wondering what type of interpretation this king lear production showed and examples of it etc and details of like the director and other stuff thankyou

praise897

Alcoholic
HSC
i saw it last week...it was the worst

the oriental theme didnt play a big enough role...its as if instead of wearing normal clothes they just slapped on robes..chucked in some wooden sticks and decided to bow every 2 seconds

i didnt feel the play really concentrated on a particular issue as such...it was pretty much a basic lear interpretation with robes thrown in so it wouldnt be as boring...but it was *yawn*

dont see it if youre considering it, consider instead queen lear

juicebox12

HSC
did anyone recognise the tall guy?

he was the dude off the smiths chips commercial, the one where a guy and his girlfriend go to a fortune teller in Chinatown, and the fortune teller tells him that she sees kids. He runs off, but comes running back for the chips.

I cant believe this hasn't been mentioned before! well I though it was a good observation...

voodoo_748

HSC
oh my gosh juicebox12 ur right he is the chip guy, i thought he looked familiar but couldnt remember where from.

the oriental theme was a bit wierd and the costumes were very confusing but overall wasnt too bad although i almost fell asleep before the intermission

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
juicebox12 said:
did anyone recognise the tall guy?

he was the dude off the smiths chips commercial, the one where a guy and his girlfriend go to a fortune teller in Chinatown, and the fortune teller tells him that she sees kids. He runs off, but comes running back for the chips.

I cant believe this hasn't been mentioned before! well I though it was a good observation...
When we watched it last year, one of the chicks in it was the chick off the ad on tv, where the guy goes to the video shop and she says "would you like something to put that in, that clogs up or drains and streams etc."

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
Danni07 said:
I went to see it today, the 2:30 one i think.Was anyone else there? the guy that played lear really scared me, he stopped mid-sentence and yelled at the audience, he even swore...
why did he sware??? i must have missed that part if it was meant to happen?

HSC
i thought it wasnt tht bad...after reading all this, it put me off but its actually good...
jst gotta have an open mind to things ppl...

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
i mean i saw the supposed lesbian kiss, the tall guy kiss the asian lady yeha but no swearing when we saw it...then again they probably saw my old english teachers face and just wanted to get off the stage as fast as possible.

OutOfOrder

HSC
HEY
btw, anyone who went on the 19th... Everyone i was with reckons King Lear got a boner near the end of the play, even the people from other schools i talked to. I really didnt notice. Anyone go on the 19th and notice this?

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
that is wrong.....

i just found out the play is in Japanese Kabuki Theatre style which is why it was boring to some of you.

bugs

yeh ,
i saw it on the 28th- missed my saturday!!!
it was good though- despite its minimalist set it carried off the main concepts well

Edmond was my favourite- kinda cute lol :p however he wasn't 'evil' enough i would have liked to see him really seeming with malevolence!! mwahahaha!!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i hated it... though i have to admit that the seating was much more desirable than at queen lere.

though i thought that it was quite bring unlike queen lere.

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
Was a shit production, learnt nothing from it except how boring King Lear is too watch....good job morons!
I dont know how they could expect people to pay $22 for that peice of worthless human garbage, we've reached the second millenium, how much longer will people have to continue hearing about this usless trash?
Shakespear is nothing more than a pirate!
Ive learnt nothing from the whole module, oh sorry...i learnt how to bullshit answers for homework....

"...poor acting, poor costuming. Bad job guys!"

HSC
im suprised u all didnt like it... i enjoyed it. seeing that, helped me to understand the play more...

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
I fell asleep. Which was hard, considering how uncomfortable the seats were.

The constant costume change was a interesting production technique.

Meli_the_Pink

Pretty in Pink
HSC
Well i don't know what you're all whinging about but i enjoyed it...would have helped if we had studied it before we went and saw it, but i think they did it well. Their physicalisation was great; i liked the japanese theme, thought it suited it well; it was quite cleverly stylised; oh and the sound guy was really good, i found it very effective. And his use of instruments was clever. I liked the bow on the gong.

Basically I enjoyed it particularly since im really over realism. It's so old. And people compare everything to it. Honestly, move into the 21st century.

xand

HSC U LATER
HSC
saw it with my school a few months ago, heaps of us left in the intermission, my teacher even understood...
I was crying with laughter when i started talking to some girls from newcastle that said they had to travel all the way here just to watch it, people can try and see some kind of avantages in it by saying that Edmond was funny, he was a lanky gronk, and despite that, its a fucken tragedy, not just the production but the play itsself, i don't see the necessity in trying to introduce comedic aspects into a shakespearian play - the monkey scene has been done in many productions, and the doubling up of cordelia and the fool isn't uncommon in many productions, however the oriental undertones and the use of sticks as the only props left me tempted to demand my money back.

utterly shithouse, even my psuedo-intellect, elitest teacher agreed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)