king lear help needed (1 Viewer)

jboyd

HSC
I have an assesment to do on king lear and the different interpretations. I have decided to write to show it as a family drama but i dont know how the play shows it as a family drama.
could anyone help me

lilmissjess06

HSC
no josh boyd.. no one will help u... EVER!!! do it yourself

lol.. nah i need help too :) arrggghhh...

Amyskiez

HSC
I need help too!
I'm doing a Psychoanalysis on the play.
and it's kind of a bit =|!

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I personally didn't do a Family/Psychological reading on the play so I'm unsure as to what it entails exactly. I've just Googled it, as anyone could.

Sir Richard Eyre: “The play is for me unambiguously a domestic play that has the metaphor of the state laid on top of it. Every family is a state in miniature that has a ruler and that’s the patriarchal ruler, the father.

“The Lears are the archetypal dysfunctional family – a widowed father with three daughters – Goneril, the oldest, bullied from birth, Regan the middle child with a kind of manipulative relationship with her father, and Cordelia, the youngest, bestowed with all Lear’s unqualified and unexamined love.

“When a parent is rejected by a child, or when a child is rejected by a parent, it’s the most profound rage and despair that human beings are capable of. The story of King Lear is the education of two tyrannous fathers, Lear and Gloucester. It’s a lesson in how to love your children and it’s the most brutal and painful form of education.”
Wikipedia said:
The Family Drama reading has also become prevalent in the 20th century; critics suggesting that the chaos was a result of the inevitable dynamics that can emerge in any family situation. Key issues include the relationship between Lear and Goneril/Regan, between Lear and Cordelia and the relationship between Gloucester and his sons.
This is from the Resources Section of this site regarding the different readings.

Also, the Richard Eyre production of "King Lear" supposedly applies a Family/Psychological drama reading so getting hold of that might prove useful.

mzduxx2006

HSC
jboyd said:
I have an assesment to do on king lear and the different interpretations. I have decided to write to show it as a family drama but i dont know how the play shows it as a family drama.
could anyone help me
Only cause i fukin hate Lear as well will i help you.

It is a psychological drama because it focuses on the collapse of a family rather than a king. It highlights the dysfunctionalities of a family (Sibling rivalry, competition for fathers love).

From an analysis of Eyres production the opening scene depicts it to be a opsychological drama because:
- the scene is so microcosmic and is set around a table instead of a court (emphasising where most family discussions occur).
- Both sisters are positioned at opposite ends (portraying sibling rivalry)
- Cordelia is at the head of the table (normally the position a queen would assume leading us to the notion that she is Lears favourite).
- Red backdrop emphasises the love, passion and anger of the family dynamics.
- As Lear speacks "which one of you shall say doth love us most" he prods Goneril, strokes Cordelia and kisses Regan -> this forces the idea that they are all competing for his love and affections.

Thats all the help i will give you :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)