King Lear: NEED HELP DESPERATELY PLEASE!!! (1 Viewer)

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
does anyone have notes on Act One, Scene One of King Lear in relation to techniques and themes??

i have a listening task on this friday and have been crammed in between all the mid-term assessments... any help would be really appreciated

freakcore

HSC
Ummm.....
plot and subplot...one used to highlight the other...two fathers who don't know their children at all...depends largely on how you like to read the play(interpretation wise) as act one scene one can show lear as a misogonistic (sorry i cant spell) old man.. or a foolish and tending towards senile old man. The words that he uses to curse cordelia are particularly pointed and brutal, (in shakespearean terms) as he was pretty much telling her i hope you dont ever breed(the only thing women were thought to be good for)
Regans words at goneril (she comes to short) emphasises the manipulative nature of the family...neither one of the older daughters afraid to say whats neccesary to get what they 'deserve'. Cordelia and kent are the only two characters unafraid to stand up to lear
If its for a listening task...look at how gloucster treats the subject of edmund...if its treated as a bit of a joke...a wink nudge type of boys club you should have seen the sheila type thing or whether he acknowledges him openly without makeing a big thing of his station. Also when cordelia says her answer (nothing) many lears treat it largely as a joke...misreading her words...some try to prompt her quietly to mend their words some are already enraged, others are simply baffled this allows another insight into how lear rules his family/kindom with an iron fist/playing favourites/or confused and doteing old man.?
dont know if that helps or if its too late.....good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)