King Lear practise essays (1 Viewer)

matt_a

Will_Sparky said:
Most of my interpreations are stuff i've read into the play myself, I only use other's interpretations like Historians, to back up my argument.
Word Up.
It's the best way to go, esp after looking at examiners comments for the last few years. They always say those that personally explored the play and its language and stuff did better. Like showing how scenes can be interpreted by changing certain aspects etc, rather than just saying what the interpretations are. If you know the text well like that, you can also answer any question with ease. So if it's about the sisters you dont sit there going "omg i forgot the feminist reading, im screwed", rather you go "hmm in this scene the sisters are portrayed bla bla bla"

Still, this module is a hell of a lot harder than Transformations and Telling the Truth!!

bextahunt

STEPH@NIE: hahah yeah its a dumb question, but hey the hsc is done for english now (YAY!) so you wont have to worry about kicking your teachers head in any more :p hahah

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Here are my practice questions for this week's upcoming assessment task, hope you find it useful. These three are kind of related to each other..
However, be cautious between Values and Issues in King Lear.

1. "King Lear has enjoyed tremendous success over time."
Account for this success by concentrating on a major character from
the play and outline two different repsonses to this character and the
values implied in these responses.

2. "Every new reading of King Lear implies a reconsideration of the
ways audiences value the play and respond to it."
Discuss this statement in relation to your understanding of King lear
and its reception.

3. "Every important text challenges the reader with complex ideas"
How does the composer use the language and conventions of drama to
challenge the audience with complex ideas?
In your response, you should consider your own reading of King lear as
well as two other interpretations (readings or productions) of the
play.

lilkatie

Well if you study chaos and order thats all you need
if they say discuss the transition from "random made up word" to "random made up word" just insert chos and order right

Entrance Girl

HSC
Help needed! King Lear Essay

hi guys...

i need your help...i have an essay dues this friday! the question is-

'Why do modern directors need to update Shakespeare's King Lear'
discuss this statement with reference to:
- reception in a range of contexts
- textual integrity
- language
- your own interpretation
Refer closely to TWO scenes in your response.

if you have any ideas can you please help...i have to have it finished!

byrnie

HSC
liddy said:
2003 HSC
Compose an argument for or against the topic: "That every text has its use-by date." Consider your prescribed text's ideas, language and form, and its reception in different contexts.

enjoy!!! and good thread, And. ta!
This essay is due on wednesyday for me as a practise... I'm choosing the negative. i.e. texts dont have a 'use-by date'. Here's my plan so far:
Talking about differing contexts - Now and then.
Exploring different ideas of the play, which have remained universally constant over the period of time between the two contexts, such as human suffering, morals, family breakdown, truth Vs deception.
Language - How shakespear has used language to convey the previous ideas.

Anything i'm missing or should talk about?
Should I have a paragraph for all three texts, or have them interwoven throughout?

--SnruB

*Fox*

HSC
About the personal interpretation, it's really quite easy to do. Just make sure you have an opinion. The whole point of King Lear is that you can completely change the meaning of the text by deciding how you think each character should be portrayed. With your interpretation you can say (for example):
There is a choice in King Lear as to whether Lear is "one of Blakes ruined giants" (Agate) or "just a stupid old fart" (Olivier). I believe that Lear is not a weak old man, because he has "that in [his] countenance which [Kent] would fain call master". I think that the Lear played by Ian Holmes in the Richard Eyre production comes closest to my vision of Lear, because he is old, but not weak.

Hahah pretty good after having six months off.. But that's what I mean. Every director of a production of Lear makes a choice of how to portray him, the daughters, the fool, Kent, edgar, edmond, gloucester etc, also things like the storm scene, the ending etc. Just make sure you say how YOU think they should be portrayed, because it shows are "engaged" with the text, which is always a good thing!!!

Also, don't always use productions as examples, use quotes from actors, authors etc, use feminist readings like the one by Kathleen Mcluskie etc. It shows you did more than just watch movies!

Last edited:

goldenfish

HSC
just adding to that comment about interpretations... at our school all of our responses have been based on our own ideas about the play. We critically analyse themes like chaos and order but are also told to put a lot of emphasise on our own readings.

for example i'm interpret the play as being about chaos and order and the mechanisms that create the chaos but then restore order. To do this i use both a jacobean christian and marxist reading of the play - do any other people do this?

annademello

HSC
Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place.

considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your critical interpretation of the prescribed text.

In your response, refer to two extracts from your presribed text.

miss random

HSC
I just have a quick question i asked my teacher but she gave the vaguest fucking answer ever. Do i have to refer to TWO productions of the play? i know i need 2 refer to other people's opinions of the play but do i need TWO productions? cz i agree with Nihilism so im using Peter Brooke's film but i also use the Aristoleian reading of the play the fatal flaw theory but i could only find an essay that back up my answer not a production.

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
yes u do, my teachers made us have atleast 2 productions, atleast 2 critics

Leosec

HSC
i hear that King Lear is moving away from the Interpretations and production/critics essay question type to move of the "THEMES AND IDEAS" issues

does any1 reckon this is true? coz by lookin at 2005 hsc question...it is still interpretation. but it is much less of interpretation rather it is more focusin on themes and ideas... any1 else agree?

Porcia

HSC
Leosec said:
i hear that King Lear is moving away from the Interpretations and production/critics essay question type to move of the "THEMES AND IDEAS" issues

does any1 reckon this is true? coz by lookin at 2005 hsc question...it is still interpretation. but it is much less of interpretation rather it is more focusin on themes and ideas... any1 else agree?
i heard that too... rumours are spreading like wildfire

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
my teacher as well as another teacher (who is a senior marker) at another school has said that they are now looking for responses that steer away from readings... and focus more on the actual play itself... and also it is advised to have your own interpretation of the play... http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/27/1096137168782.html?from=moreStories
this link... although it's in 2004.. says it all

insanerp

HSC
my teacher basically said that we should concentrate on the original more than we have been (in our previous essays). that's not to say we don't need to bring other productions in, but apparently the question this year will be more about the original somehow.

miss random

HSC
far out that's annoying! You have 40mins to write the essay talk about two different produtcions/ readings whatever but your focus should be on the original? How? I mean seriously, how do you focus on the original when you have to talk about so much else? It's ridiculous. Screw readings why isn't my own damn interpretation valid? arrrrrgh

Rant finished........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Now

schmoph

HSC
ur understanding of the play, wat u see shakespeare ment when he wrote it!

*miranda*

HSC
well i think you can link in productions to your own understanding - how a different interpretation led to your interpretation changing or growing, or even just how it challenged your interpretation....

Ditzy

HSC
We got this Q in our trial paper

"Despite differing responses to texts over time, ultimately the structure and style of a text is significant in evaluating its success"

Discuss this statement, evaluating the dramatic structure and dramatic technique of King Lear

everyone in my year did really bad because we only learnt about different productions and didnt study much abotu the original play ~

how would you attack this question ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)