King Lear Production Contexts (1 Viewer)

Toranaman

HSC
I was wondering whether anyone knew the contexts of the Eyre Production and the Kozintsev production. It would be a HUGE help because it was my key downfall in trial and i am battling to work it out.:)

Thanks

Toranaman

morganforrest

HSC
Kozintsev's Korol Lir was a Marxist production set in the anachronistic world of Russia. The production makes comment on 1971 Russia but was set way back when. Scene's such as the opening one where the castle kinda looks like it was on fire is an allusion to the Kremlin and an attack on the Stalinist regime. (Since his death they could now kind of criticise him). Kozintsev filling the hovel with the naked wretches and Lear's comment of "O I have ta'en too little care of this" is an allusion to the hunger and poverty of Russia at the timeand is supposed to satirise the Communist society.

Obviously, acts such as the gravitation towards Dover is a little ironic considering the Cold War but that probably doesn't need to be mentioned.

Hope that helps, I haven't seen the Eyre production

Stib

HSC
RICHARD EYRE’S 1997 FILM
• Chooses to focus almost entirely upon family dynamics and relationships. Lear is positioned at the head of the table which is a strong symbol of the family.
• The close confined sets are more like a family home than a castle. Even the few scenes shot outside are very intimate, with the camera never venturing far back from the actors.
• The performances are very emotional; the affection that Lear lavishes on his daughters prior to the love test is a testament to this.
• Lear’ power is established in Act 1, Scene 1 through his formal and rhythmic language as well as elaborate costuming which contrasts well with the dull robes worn by the other characters. When Lear feels his power slipping due to the words of Cordelia he jumps onto the table so he is looking down upon the others.
• Slowly Lear’s rooms become empty and his dress becomes almost identical to that of the Fool, accentuating his deterioration.

Hope that helps a bit.

HSC
I'm confused on "King Lear" and its "context" too, so I'd really appreciate someone answering it for King Lear generally, and Eyre and Jonathon Miller's productions.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)