King Lear Productions : Reviews (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
i thought both productions had their flaws - queen lere merely changed gender roles and relied on the audiences interpretation. i did really enjoy this production though i thought some of the scenes were brillant e.g. the storm scene! the acting by edmund really made the play for me, she was brillant! but i honeslty dont think it was a feminist production at all.
Bondi pavillion had some great ideas but didnt expand them enough also the characterisation was poor but this might of been wat the director was looking for? to suggest that characters are not pure evil or pure good. maybe she was looking for a more realistic production?? i dunno
but the "storm" scene in this production was very poor. wat was suppose to be the climax of the play seemed more like King lear acting drunk! Ian roberts cast as Albany was terrible! one of my friends believed that the director must of had a few jack daniels before the casting session!! :p the theme of alcoholism was brillant and related well to a contempory audience but it wasnt developed as much! anyway ive already ranted about this enough and in other posts so i will leave it. i do believe that king lear (bondi production) was alot more successful - but thats my opinion.

urban-angel

20 yo! =)
HSC
hey..im going to watching a production of the play at parramatta tomorrow..im not sure what the theatre is called...but it better be good! paid freakin 35 bux for it! >=\

mishka

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I saw the one at Parra, at the Riverside Theatre. I also saw the Bondi one and I liked the Parra one better. There's this wheel thing happening, and, well, you'll understand when you see it. There's lots of symbolism especially the colours, and watch for the costuming. It also has cool sound effects, that accompany certain lines in the play. Overall, it gave me a better understanding of the characters and in particular how they use power to get what they want.

keladry

lady knight
HSC
there's a new bondi production - it just opened on the 7th of May.

its very minimalist with only 7 actors, but i thought it was quite good. except for some of the cutting of lines and the some performances of the actors, i liked it.

i won't spoil it for anyone who is going to watch it, but if u see it u may be surprised...

nicksta_40

HSC
WE have to write an essay on the 2003 HSC King LEar Q 'Every Text has its used by date". Any help with this would be much appreciated...

93LuVz56

HSC
yeh i went just this fri...

honestly i think the production at bondi enhanced my understanding of the play

some pplz fell asleep, and found it really boring, but a few pplz found that it helped

the play was very physical

there r reviews bout this one and the parra one, n apparentli the bondi 1 is much better

does ne1 no when or how i kn get tickets to go c the riverside production?? at parra? and the price?

apparentli theres goin 2 b anotha production at bondi afta dis 1, and there is no fool, instead they have a mum!!!

budj

HSC
The riversie production sucked big time

bengross42

HSC
Our class are actually going to the bondi this avo at 2 pm if anyone wantsto come and we might have a biff with the cast members

chardie2

I saw the Bondi production last night (tuesday) I thought it was very well done, I think the acting was fantastic. It was a little confusing at time as some actors played multiple characters. Overall it was good to see a directors interpretation of the piece and actually visualise it.

Although by the end I was very tired.

Did anyone else see it on Tuesday night? What did you think?

Charde.

keladry

lady knight
HSC
the multiple roles aren't supposed to be confusing as the actors change robes - its the whole point of the robes really, to make u less confused

nickw...

HSC
N/A
i saw parra. was orite. but high light of the day was a orite kebab. I've had better.

janey18

bondi pavillion tempest production -GREAT!

yeah, this production was pretty good

you can apply to a modern/comtemporary, feminist reading -theres a few others brought up during in-class discussions, but um, im not actually using it cos its not really relevant to my readings (aristotelian and existentialist)

and there's a Q&A session after the play, where the director chick basicaly said its primary aimed at high school students -so i mean, its gotta be pretty relevant (but im not using it)

everyone were drooling over Edmund -he's alright, but after being stuck in that room for a few hours, and hes got these tight leather pants on -fair enough, pretty damn hot!

also, i had a chat with the old dude that plays Lear at the end,
what a champ!

Ian Roberts -his pants were way too tight !! stick to footy
mate!

malkin86

HSC
Some notes on the Harlos production (at bondi)

Minimalistic set there is a box, some sticks (swords), some coathangers.

Costumes everyone in red pants, white shirts and no shoes, but with reversible robes for the main characters.

The fool has a technicolour patchwork robe with a hat with bells made out of the same materials.

Goneril has a plain pink robe

Regan has a red robe with gold designs.

Cordelia has a red robe with gold flowers.

Music some church music at the beginning and end, instruments used zither, cello, drums, tin sheet and hammer (for the storm), and some synthesised incidental e.g. in the blinding scene.

Lighting mainly white, well lit, except for in the storm (bluish), when the hunters come back like apes (orangish), during the war (orangish) and at the end (red).

The blinding scene

Whole stage used, glou in the middle. When glou is blinded, he falls onto the ground and the whole stage is darkened except for one light which only falls on glou.s face.

Unlike the Eyre production, Lear doesnt shout much until when he curses Goneril, and Regan and the storm, making it more effective.

French accents are used by all servants of France more effective, and reminds us of the war.

At one point, when Edgar (as the man at the bottom of the cliff) forgets to use his accent and adresses Glou as father, Glou seems to recognise his voice.

When kent is telling Lear of how he got in the stocks, there was an orange-lit flashback sequence with caricatures of the characters.

When Lear is holding the mock trial in the hovel (only found in some editions of the play), the actors playing Goneril and Regan stood in the background on each side of the stage when Lear anatomises Regans heart, she crumples.

When the three sisters die, again with the flashbacks onstage, first Regan crumpling, then Goneril stabbing herself, then Cordelia hanged. When cordelia is hanged, her robe is on one of the floating hangers in the stage when Lear takes her body down, she could be either Cordelia or the Fool. (as the actress played both parts, using the reversible robes)

Edgar does not try to use a sword in his battle scenes after some martial arts, he chokes Oswald, and turns Edmonds sword against Edmond.

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
Does anyone has notes on the Queen lere prodn?? Can u Plz post them up...

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
hook urself up, wanko.....can sumone post sum links up ?? ne notes on the prouduction of Queen Lere...??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)