King Lear (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i'm having a lot of trouble getting my ideas on king lear together. we've done the whole topic, i still don't get it.

right now i've got a structure of

Themes/Values (gender roles, social heirarchy etc), which are interpreted differently (so the different interpretations - new historicist, feminist etc) because of different contexts and this can be reflected in different productions.

but i'm not sure how to pull it together, what my essay is meant to be structured like, what i'm even expected to write in an essay.

could someone simplify this for me?

spangacrab

HSC
Aparently the feminist reading is pretty crappy because it has no other themes or ideas other than the reversal of genders.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
i disagree - there is A LOT to the feminist readings, you just need to do your research :)

reversal roles would be one of the more obvious arguments, which definitely would not separate you from the rest of the candidates

princesskt

HSC
hmm just a question i thought id throw in here... are we supposed to have a critical reading on kind lear (feminist, marxist..etc)? I dont get the whole concept on this module :( im so confuzzled :(

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
your signature says you're studying EE1?

. . .

the module is "Critical Study of Texts" so yes, it is expected you have a critical reading

i hope you're not so 'confuzzled' by the time your trials/HSC comes

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Probably to do with the 'subjectivity' involved in history, how it can never give one particular portrait due to the multiple interpretations involved = Classic Postmodernism.

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
spangacrab said:
Aparently the feminist reading is pretty crappy because it has no other themes or ideas other than the reversal of genders.
Not true. The feminist reading's about the tragedy in the suppression of the feminine and the consequences of women gaining power within the patriarchy. Its been made out in the reading that the text of Lear is misogynist in it showing that the overthrow of the patriarchal order would only result in death and chaos, a Saturnalian inversion of sorts where all law would be replaced by death and destruction. In making his daughters his servants however, Lear is equally culpable and it could also be another interpretation of the king's character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)