king lear (1 Viewer)

mike-l

wat are some techniques you can develop 2 make a sophisticated crtical response 2 the text for top marks

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
good q.. i'm finding these essays hard

Dangar

critical analysis of King Lear

wat are some techniques you can develop 2 make a sophisticated crtical response 2 the text for top marks

Yeah i know, it's the first time i've ever had to do something like this in English. I just finished my assessment essay so i don't know if I got top marks or not (here's hoping) but this is what i did;
Lots of reading of critical analysis's done by actual critics, i went to Macquarie Uni and there is soo many books on King Lear. Our teacher made us a booklet of them too which was good and we also watched bits of the different types of productions on film.
So basically you have to know all the different types of interpretations like existentsial (however you spell it), family drama, feminist etc. and how these can be seen in King Lear e.g. all the references to 'nothing' can emphasise existentialism.
We had to quote different critics and discuss the different productions like Peter Brooks and how they staged it to emphasise a particular interpretation. So it was name dropping to prove you've read up on other critics whilst giving your own opinion.
Hope its helpful...my first post!:)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Remember that you can't just study and know different productions, you need to have an idea of how you would stage your own production of the play to bring out certain critical ideas.

there are so many threads on King Lear...one of these days I'll stick 'em all together...there's actually some good stuff/ideas from last year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)