King Lear (1 Viewer)

superfly

Can someone please help me out with King Lear? Ive been doing some practice questions and some say, and i think its a syllabus point, to discuss the variety of ways in which king lear has been received in different contexts.
Now i guess the contexts are the different perspectives (freudian, feminist, aristolean etc) or am i way off track?
Now i know we are meant to refer to 3 or so different productions of lear in an answer like this.........

but i seem to be having trouble sorting out perspectives of individual productions. Like the set text Cambridge Shakespear....what sort of perspectives does that follow? Also the BBC production.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
To discern what sort of perspective a director is attempting to put forward, look at the characters themselves and how they are portrayed, and the relationships between characters. Also look at props, scenery (what do you call it again?), costumes etc.

To accurately understand the vision of a particular production you really have to view some really outrageous ones - it really helps, I assure you. The BBC productions tend to be as stock dead standard as possible, and for some ungodly reason they're really long as well *groan* but they do give you a good idea of the Elizabethan ideas (ie what Shakespeare, God Rest His Soul, would have wanted his audience to see).

If you want me to go into further detail, just gimme a yell. I'm just too lazy to identify individual productions atm :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Oh. And from a non-mod ex-HSC point of view.. if you can't figure out the vision of a production.. make it up... heh.

*quickly runs away*

superfly

Yeah um go into more detail if ya can be bothered coz any info i can get on lear is useful coz ive got noooo idea! to me the different productions are the same just with diff actors and on a diff stage, and writing bout that inda hsc prolly wont get me above say 5 outa 20! lol. i thought we were sposed to talk about what the director? of each production was putting across as his/her ideas but like for me unless its written there in front of me i just dont see it.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yeah, you can talk about how the director created a representation of King Lear if you know it.. otherwise you just have to say how "a certain represntation" was implied, depending on the techniques used.

The set text, the play itself, and (I think, anyway) the BBC type productions are the Elizabethan/Jacobean readings. They're meant to be received by people who have the mindset and thinking of elizabethans.. well, obviously the BBC film isn't but that's the idea. What were those people going through in that time, how was society run, who were the 'good' guys and who were the 'bad' guys and why?

A familial reading examines the relationships between lear + his kids and Gloucester + his sons more closely than any other aspect of the play. This can be created through set (I believe one director used the house/dining table setting to emphasise this), costumes (it can be set in any time period or place, lear may be crownless, he may be portrayed more as a father than a monarch), emphasis or deemphasis on scenes (the land-splitting scene for instance) or.. umm... the way in which Edgar defeats Edmund.

Or you could view the play in a marxist light where Lear is the monarchy or feudal system which is being overthrown by the merchant class (edmund). Edmund here can be portrayed "positively", ie he can have the favour of the audience, and simply by watching a production you can tell if this is so. How is he seen, how are his emotions displayed, how does he speak his lines? How do gloucester and edgar treat him, is he doing his evil deeds out of revenge or because he wants to rise up in the world?

umm.. other readings...
power emphasises gonerill and regan, who have been subdued by their father for so long that they relish their newfound control over him, and edmund's power over everybody else in the play.
power is LOST by lear and he only realises this once his daughters start mistreating him. distribution of power causes chaos.

feminist (related to power) looks at how the females in the play (g, r, c) harness the freedom given to them. if it's a positive reading, g + r are symbols of freedom.. their clothes, their attitude, where they appear, how fawning they are over their father in the first act, etc, explores feminist theory. or something. i don't like feminism. note that the patriarchy reasserts itself at the end of the play.

you can use characters such as the fool, kent, edgar (two faced? backstabbing?) and cordelia to back up your responses.

you can use particular scenes, read in different lights, to demonstrate your understanding of different contexts.

you should mention the audience's reaction as well as the director's vision.

and i can't think of anything more, and i'm not getting paid to write this and i'm tired. :) hth.

The set text is historical/ traditional. It's the Elizabethan outlook (Jacobean if you're going to be pedantic).

You don't have to look at productions, realise. I'm looking at different readings, and productions I create. I'm looking at feminism, family drama, psychological... you name it)

superfly

ahhh i get it!! you should be a teacher then you will be paid to say that stuff. lol. Well thanx for taking the time coz you've given me more info in a few paragraphs than my teacher over about 8 weeks!

One other thing......i know sorta what an elizabethean thinks.... like it was just that era ay. But what is a Jacobean outlook? Never heard that one before!!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Jacobean is the period of King James, who was the monarch after Elizabeth. Pretty much the same as Elizabethan, it doesn't really matter. Look it up if you like, some people consider Lear to be a parody of James.

I'd be a teacher, but I'd like a decent job :D

superfly

hahaha yeah i couldnt handle being a teacher after all the crap ive given them in the past! lol

well trials next week and ill see how i go with Lear. eek.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Good luck :)
Don't stress, Lear is just another essay...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)