King Richard III (1 Viewer)

yeah.josie

HSC
Does anyone know anything about King Richard III?
anything will help
i know nothing
thanks

adamcg

HSC
A horse a horse, my kingdom for a horse!

sorry... thats all i know...

mr2yen

HSC
This is hard to do because Looking for Richard is more of supplement rather than a rendition of Richard III. Our class is having difficulties trying to draw connections but our teacher assumes that through the use of devices such as interviews with scholars we as the audience develop connections and an understanding of the play.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well im frikkin SHITE at english however wat i garnered from studying these two was:....SHIT ALL

...but seriously:

basically the connection to be made between the two texts is that Looking for Richard examines values and themes explored by Richard III .....=S

simplyyme

HSC
god my english class did this and we found hardly anything, i only remember 1 or 2 connections, the play is so ugh and looking for richard is just as bad.

Even now i still don't know nothing and my class even went to watch the play, hoping it was going to help our interpretations of it, but nearly fell everyone asleep 30-60 minutes into it, even my english teacher said she almost fell asleep.

Yomo

HSC
the sunne in splendour by Sharon Penman is a pretty good fictional interpretation of Richard III...i have no idea of its accuracy or anything, but i thought it was a good read if you could be bothered

zaefr

HSC
try and focus on how shakespeare's play relates to elizabethan values, and then for the film talk about how pacino is challenging the modern attitude of shakespeare as "boring, irrelevant" and stuff like that.

edit: don't forget to draw links between the two contexts!!

Last edited:

iiinsane02

HSC
This is hard to do because Looking for Richard is more of supplement rather than a rendition of Richard III. Our class is having difficulties trying to draw connections but our teacher assumes that through the use of devices such as interviews with scholars we as the audience develop connections and an understanding of the play.
Yes, that is right. Al Pacino is basically making Shakespeare more accessible to a modern audience. Even though in some scenes dialogue from the play have been omitted, Pacino does still effectively convey the themes as seen in the original. i.e. the antithesis of appearance vs reality (verisimilitude), power vs corruption etc.

rohanpur

HSC
I remember reading somewhere that Pacino's Looking for Richard is very hard to find resources for. But this might help you:
Both texts are portrayals of Richard and are affected by contextualistion (societical, historical and cultural), in what way does the context affect how Shakespeare and Pacino in their portrayal.
What changes in context lead to the changes values reflected in the texts?
How do the meanings of these pair of texts be shaped by looking at the connections between them both similarites and differences. Make both implicit and explicit through your thesis and make sure you also emplore them through the context, values, ideas, language features and characterisation.

Personally I think Pacino shaped our knowledge of Richard (and shakespeare) of the American context in through the interview with the people . Shakespeare doesn't do it directly, but we can find these value through looking at the real context and comparing it to how shakespeare has portrayed it. (I might have repeated myself a couple of times, sorry)
Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)