Kitsch (1 Viewer)

ildgeesethatfly

HSC
Hello!
I've got an idea for my major work that I am happy with/like/should enjoy making etc. The problem is, though, that it is really, really kitsch. And I mean REALLY kitsch.
I intend it to be ironic and a social-criticism type-of-thing, but I'm still worried that the markers will look at it and think "ohmygod its horrible". And then maybe assume I'm being trivial, etc.etc.etc.
Any opinions?
it would be really helpful!
While I'm at it: our teacher says that we don't submit any explanation with our major work, just the work. No writing. Is this true?

ParanoidAndroid

you don't have to submit an Artists statement if you don't want to, my Art teacher advises us not to.

I would suggest that you go and further explore the idea e.g take some notes, research, sketch, just put pencil to paper!.
If the idea doesn't work out, you will know.
Also ask people for their opinions, fellow art students can be some help in that area.

I don't know what other advice I could give, you are pretty vague with you're description, so I can't tell you if it's pretentious or not.

Have you tried talking to your art teacher, I think they would know best (If they have marked the H.S.C artworks before, I'm sure they would have a better understanding on what markers are looking for. They'll be honest with you).

tunat

I dont think that there is any need for you to worry...these markers are artists themselves and know what they are doing so im sure they will understand what your trying to convey and not be offended. So just relax and do what you want to do....dont make it less expressive than you want it to be'!!

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
hmm. if it's going to be kitsch, then why not play on this aspect. make it outrageously kitsch, so that the tackiness of it all forms a way of expressing what you wanted to say. if it's a serious social commentary type theme you're after, you could make it really kitsch, tacky, and inappropriate, so that the only angle any reasonable person could interpret it from is that the work was heavily sarcastic, and you mean to say the opposite of the initial message.

but then again, this might not work at all for you... just a thought.

the most kitsch, hackneyed themes and ideas can be made into really fresh, original and innovative artworks if you approach the theme from an innovative angle. (woah, way too many buzzwords in that sentence)

ildgeesethatfly

HSC
Thanks for your help!
I'm fealing better about it all now.
And yes, I think I'm well and truely already in "outrageously kitsh" territory (think fake jewelery, bad puns, and the American pie movies- now do you see why I was worried?!)
I won't describe it anymore, because it sounds truely horrible.
But thanks.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
you might want to check out ben frost (at http://www.benfrostisdead.com), a young australian artist who seems to be getting more and more exposure recently. his stuff is often outrageously kitsch -- 21st century pop art, i suppose, but often deeply moving/disturbing at the same time.

and i just found this (in the feb issue of Desktop:, an australian graphic design magazine) which may be of interest to you. it's a poster designed by Cameron Suttie, a graphic design graduate from the university of ballarat, vic, about child prostitution. i think it's a really clever, powerful piece of communication. sorry about the poor image quality, the print in the magazine was pretty small.

http://www.somnambulist.org/crap/prostitutionposter.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)