Kmart Casual Job (1 Viewer)

ChiK

HSC
N/A
Hi Guys,

I have a problem that has been bothering me. You see I got an offer from Kmart to work as a Casual but I also got another Part-time offer in the city working in retail.

I am not sure which one to pick.

I was just wondering whether a Casual stint in Kmart would be just temporary shit?

Has anyone here worked for Kmart or Target before? Can you guys share some information about the
- wage rates for those over 21
- number of hours you may get each week (during non-sales or non-Xmas weeks)
- job security - are Casual positions in Kmart ot Target temporary (e.g. 3 months) or permanent?

hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Last edited:

Scanorama

HSC
I worked as a Christmas casual at Kmart back in 2004. It was simply shit. Shit staff with shit customers, bot extremely rude. It was a hell hole.

As a casual and given the nature of Kmart, if sales drop for whatever reasons, you can expect you are the first one to go. They can stop giving you shift for a number of weeks - you don't really get job security. When you start, you will be on a 3 month probation, they can let you go at the end of the 3 months.

Number of hours you get? That varies depends on your store. They don't have to give your any hour if they don't need you.

Is your city job permanent part time?

Personally I would avoid Kmart like plagues. I now work at Woolies as a permanent part time. It is way way better. Good staff and good customers. Not to mention nice managers too.

rozymisty

HSC
Well i used to work for Coles, and hmm once your over like 20, your hours are limited as they naturaly want to get the cheaper employees, and theis would be the same with the other coles group stores. i used to be getting a lot during the day, but since we were a small store, they'd only have like 2 of us on at hte most, which was ridiculous. Eventually they cut everyone down to like 4hrs a wk, and so i just quit naturally.

haha lano and woodley have a joke about kmart lol.

CieL

HSC
I work at Coles [checkouts/supervisor], and this is what I think:

Since you're getting employed outside the xmas/stocktake period, you should receive a decent amount of hours if you are good at what you do.
Like for example, some Indian lady and I got hired at the same time.. On my first week, my scanrate was faster than store average, and I have gotten all the hours I have wanted plus a promotion.. but she's still the slowest in the store and she only gets 4hrs a week because they nearly make a loss on her. Performance matters if you want hours.

Wage rates, casual, for over 21 should be around the $19-20/hr mark [but dont quote me on it since I haven't hit that age yet lol]

Hours.. depends on what type of worker you are [as above]. I'm a casual because I have full time uni.. so I personally requested for Monday, Friday, Sat and/or Sunday.. most hours I've gotten in a week was 26, lowest being 8 but that was my 1st week, and it was training, other than that, lowest was 16.

For me, I work in a relatively small store.. and I think I have high job security.. because I'm cheap [just turned 19], legal [can sell cigarettes], and rack up about twice as much [They print out stats, and I average $1000-1500 per HOUR]..

I never had probation [nor was it in my contract], so I have no idea what Scanorama is talking about.. all I had was 2wks training, in which pay was a tad crappier, but most of it was just watching videos anyway..

Rozy: You think 2 on the registers is bad? My store does cost cutting to the MAX.. I'm their cheapest service assistant there, and I get stuck doing open [which is insanely bad, even at 5:30am] AND close by myself.. And we usually have two on anyway.. sometimes 3, but that happens at transition time.. so I'd see 3 people on for half an hour, then I'd see the other person leave, then I'm stuck by myself for 2-3hrs..

CieL

HSC
But then again, I'm not 100% sure how Kmart functions, nor what position you're applying for...... or if you guys do a few things and are not stuck onto one specific job

Edit:
Oh btw, at Coles for my position, legally, they can only give you max 32hrs/wk [which a few people in the store hit].. lenient up to 38hrs/wk.. and you're supposed to have 10hrs between shifts.. meaning you can't close at 10pm or 12am whatever, then work at 6am the next day..

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Scanorama said:
As a casual and given the nature of Kmart, if sales drop for whatever reasons, you can expect you are the first one to go. They can stop giving you shift for a number of weeks - you don't really get job security.

Number of hours you get? That varies depends on your store. They don't have to give your any hour if they don't need you.
As above, it is true for all casual positions, especially those in a store as big as kmart, target and so on. It depends on the job security at your other job, the positives of your other job and the position you will be given at kmart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)