• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

"Knowledge is the one true form of power." (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
He was frustrated by Lenin and supplanted by Stalin, neither of which were any near as sharp as he was economically or otherwise. I won't go so far as to call it fate, but I think timing is the biggest factor in deciding if someone with potential, (of whom there are tens of thousands) goes on to become powerful. One question I will ask until the cows come home is whether or not six million jews lives might have been spared had Adolf hitler been accepted into the vienna school of arts?
Lenin was dead or incapacitated by the time the power struggle started. And Stalin was a far smarter politician than Trotsky. Trotsky just liked the ideological work. The politics he couldn't stand.
I will conceed that fate and dumb luck does play a large part in any man's ascension to power. But surely you cannot deny the link that knowledge plays either. Perhaps we can agree to both, and that it is a combination of knowledge and luck/fate which leads to power?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Hawking = less powerful than other reputable (mobile) academics. The difference is not knowledge.

Lentern

HSC
Lenin was dead or incapacitated by the time the power struggle started. And Stalin was a far smarter politician than Trotsky. Trotsky just liked the ideological work. The politics he couldn't stand.
I will conceed that fate and dumb luck does play a large part in any man's ascension to power. But surely you cannot deny the link that knowledge plays either. Perhaps we can agree to both, and that it is a combination of knowledge and luck/fate which leads to power?
Trotsky was still a key player, probably no2 in the USSR during Lenin's liftetime and thats what I mean by frustrated by him. I don't think Stalin was really know knowlegable, just more driven and ruthless. Whilst neither were good leaders by any stretch I tend to think during the power struggle Trotsky still kind of tried to do a bit of governing between undermining Stalin whereas Stalin pretty much lived to be king of the world.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Hawking = less powerful than other reputable (mobile) academics. The difference is not knowledge.
Powerful in what way?
I would say that Hawking's appeal to the public is much greater than any of his contemporaries, and thus because of his knowledge of how to appeal to the masses, he is a much more influential (and hence powerful) person.

Lex152

HSC
there's a difference between knowledge and skill.

I find orators less powerful if they stutter or have a lisp, but doesn't make them any less knowledgable.

You guys need to define knowledge properly.

By the line of argument that you guys are saying I could state that "all humans need is oxygen" cause oxygen allows plants to grow and animals eat the plants and we eat the animals...

Definitions please.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Ah...but you need the knowledge that smashing someone's face will help you defeat the opposition in hand-to-hand combat.
Touche. 'Knowledge how to' versus 'knowledge that'. Nonetheless, even with knowledge of how to do something it helps to have the physical attributes necessary to carry through the action (i.e. an iron fist / wheelchair?).

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Touche. 'Knowledge how to' versus 'knowledge that'. Nonetheless, even with knowledge of how to do something it helps to have the physical attributes necessary to carry through the action (i.e. an iron fist / wheelchair?).
This argument comes into the luck/chance scenario that I gave credence to, somewhere above.
But the man in the wheelchair would probably have learnt how to avoid such a situation in the first place. Or he could strike back in a territory more suited to his knowledge, such as through legal proceedings.

Equus

HSC
It is not simply knowledge that gives you power, but the proper application of that knowledge, as well as the ability to carry out that application of knowledge, which may lead to power.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
It is not simply knowledge that gives you power, but the proper application of that knowledge, as well as the ability to carry out that application of knowledge, which may lead to power.
But one must know how to use the foregained knowledge in the "proper application". One must have knowledge of knowledge to use the knowledge.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
This argument comes into the luck/chance scenario that I gave credence to, somewhere above.
But the man in the wheelchair would probably have learnt how to avoid such a situation in the first place. Or he could strike back in a territory more suited to his knowledge, such as through legal proceedings.
BoS hypotheticals are so damned entertaining.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Knowledge doesnt mean shit once you're getting nuked or shot.

Weapons are the one true form of power.
You need knowledge to build those weapons in the first place ;)

And you need knowledge to know the most effective place to put your weapons

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol what aweful logic gaypole

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)