KORE1000 Korean Beginners~ (1 Viewer)

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
hey!

who else is taking korean beginners this sem?

i am taking it after 3 yrs of japanese study and a half year exchange!! It's gonna be so weird, but i heard the course is fun and easygoing even for a level 1 subject!

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
It's an amazing subject, with amazing seon saeng nim (Evon and Gi-Hyun Shin ROCK).

I took it last year. You'll meet a lot of friends and stuff.

Assuming he's lecturing again this year, Evon might appear to be a prick at first, but he really isn't. You'll grow to like him if you hate him at first. He might seem a bit harsh and picky with some stuff (IT'S EUN NOT UN - you will understand this soon), but it REALLY helps.

Shin is possibly the greatest guy on earth.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Yay! Heyyy!!! I was about to start a thread asking this too!! I'm doing KORE1000 this semester as well... I have no knowledge in any sort of Korean... I'm sort of scared that it might be too hard for me... (since I watched some Korean dramas and found the pronounciation awfully hard and confusing...)

But anyhow, I'm so glad to know there's at least another person besides me doing Korean beginners, heh.

Along with Korean, I'm also doing beginners Japanese, lol, god I hope I don't get these two mixed up half way through :uhoh: Maybe you can help me with my Japanese >D
BTW My name's Rose. :D

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
They'll compliment each other nicely. Don't be too scared of Korean pronunciation - I'm caucasian and started out having extreme trouble and a strong western accent, with the help of Evon and Shin, I now almost scare some Koreans with how well my pronunciation can be.

Sound files are your friend.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
uhawww -> thx! that's good to hear!!! yeah i have heard that korean and japanese grammar resemble each other .. kind of part of the reason i picked korean for this sem~ also i heard that the writing system was basic phonetic not like Japanese with all the kanji ... still the Korean system (hangul is it called???) looks quite difficult too!

soopacow -> hi i'm Kevin~ omg i would be more than happy to help u with Japanese!! i am so scared about maybe forgetting a lot of Japanese now that i am studying another language ... i hv wanted to watch korean drama especially winter sonata!! but never got the chance ... i just like korean music hahah~ oh and i watched this super sad movie called "the classic" a while ago..

which tute did u enrol in?

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
KORE1000 TUT 4602 Wed 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm (1-2,3-12)

^ That's mine. :]

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Wow! I'm so suprised about this thread! There doesn't seem to be much students doing Korean - only 44 last time I checked out of the possible 60.

Korean and Japanese DO resemble each other but I found the Korean alphabet so much harder to learn >< Took me a week to learn the alphabet whereas for Japanese it only took me 3 days >< I hope I made the correct decision in attempting to study Korean as it seems so hard!!

Also, I'm enrolled in that tutorial as well~~ (refer to the above)

Along with KORE1000, I'm also doing JAPN2000 & CHIN3006. Hope I'm not being a little too unrealistic here though =(

Last edited:

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Hi Chiisora!!

And wow you're doing so many languages!!! Although originally I wanted to do French along Jap and Korean... but unfortunately the lectures had clashes... so it was bye bye French :(

I'm actually looking forward to Korean now x] (not that I wasn't before... just more...)

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Actually, that KORE1000 lecture on Wednesday clashed with my EDST1101 (Educational Psychology 1) lecture but I'll be getting the info for that via iLecture so I can attend the KORE1000 lecture even though there's a clash =) Just hope I'll be able to handle it...

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Yeh, the online lecture notes... unfortunately I found that out just a little too late... when the lectures are all already full... but I guess I can always pick up French next year?! :]

By the way, what's your name Chiisora?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Oh I just noticed, I don't think you guys have Evon seon saeng nim? And just Gi Hyun this year. It's a shame if you don't get to meet Evon, but Gi Hyun is awesome anyway.

I've done Ed psych before, I attended three lectures the whole semester and managed to get a D. In your tutes you pretty much cover anything important, and they practically tell you exactly what's in the exam(s).

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Unfortunately due to clashes with some of my core subjects, I can't take 2000 this year. I'll be taking it up again next year though, so if any of you continue to 2000 I'll see you there.

In saying that, I'll be keeping close contact with Gi Hyun and will probably turn up to any of the Korean student dinners that we/KORE3000+ students usually arrange for us all.

Last edited:

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
oops i guess i meant to say which seminar are all u guys in~
cos the wednesday one is the set class time right hehe

class dinners sounds cool .. we never had it in japanese!!

i wanted to do chinese and korean both beginners but the chinese lec clashed with one of the times for the korean class ... kind of a hassle there haha ... i also wanted to do french too but i wasn't in time for the placement test cos i did it in hsc b4

Chiisora -> yeah the whole way of writing and then making compound sounds or whatever seems quite a challenge ... japanese was so much easier if it was just the kana .. but then the kanji comes in and o my gosh~

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
I actually find kanji rather simple... since I know my Chinese... and it's just the same, like they mean the same, they look the same... and even pronounciation of most kanji's are similar to how you pronounce them in Chinese.......

So maybe doing Japanese with Chinese maybe a good combination x]

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Agree with soopacow - kanji is pretty much the same as Chinese characters in general so that wasn't much of a problem xD I still find the Japanese alphabet interesting, though. It's like "cashing" the hiragana in for kanji characters xD

Oh and I'm in the Thursday 10am-12pm seminar as the other seminar, right after that (12pm-2pm) clashes with my JAPN2000 seminar!

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Yeah, haha you guys r so lucky, cos i am not a Chinese background, but still asian so everyone thinks i am~

It's pretty funny though, if something is written entirely in hiragana sometimes it becomes harder to read than if there were kanji in it. I guess over time we all become so familiar with kanji that we expect it to pop up haha ..

I'm in that seminar too~

Was reading the course outline, o my gosh so many assignments ...

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
People say Hangul is really easy to learn... but I'm finding it much more difficult... even more so than Hiragana and katakana........ T.T

And no I still haven't learnt hangul yet... *is trying to...*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)