Kpmg (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
I don't mean to be condescending if it sounds that way, I'm genuinely interested in what people see in cadetships/co-ops etc. Is it because you need the money? Or because you want the experience?

How come simply doing a degree, being apart of a university cohort and getting in as a graduate doesn't appeal to you as much?

turtleface

HSC
Bendent said:
so do we have to be in our second last years of commerce degree at uni to sign up for a vacational program?
No there are things like the CA Achiever program, CPA Passport, NIA work experience; some firms take 2 and 3 out of 5 year degree students

but generally yes

toffee123

HSC
xclo, you cant do both because yea timewise it wouldnt work, and also because under a cadetship you sign a 2 yr contract for full time employment with the firm. something i forgot to mention is that with a cadetship, you work fulltime/study partime for 2 years, then study partime, get paid a study allowance (so we dont have to get part time jobs to survive lol) and then once you finish your degree you're contracted for 2 more years of full time employment, basically in return for getting the study allowance. this 2 yr contract is offered after you have completed the first 2 yrs of full time employment satisfactorily. since you said you only want one year experience to supplement your studies im thinking something like a cadetship prolli isnt for you. did you apply for/get the acturial coop already? i suggest you ask people in the tertiary com/business forum, they'd know alot more about this. :)

turtleface, i chose to do a cadetship because i thought it was an awesome opportunity to gain work experience while studying, and earn a decent amount of money without having to work in crappy fast food or retail. i always knew i'd be destined for a commerce degree and some sort of financial/accounting career, so i figured why not. the extra experience will definitely put us ahead when it comes to applying for other jobs and higher management positions down the track.
plus you gotta love the corporate benefits and booze filled parties

proo

HSC
hey whats everyones timetable like?

what time do your classes start and how many times do u go uni a week?

toffee123

HSC
acc 1a tues 2-4, 4-5
micro tues 5-6, 6-8
QMA thurs 5-6, 6-8

wondering whether i should drop QMA...

proo

HSC
how can u do classes from 2-4?
im doing pretty much the same...think ill keep qma unless it gets to be too much

roadcone

HSC
proo said:
how can u do classes from 2-4?
im doing pretty much the same...think ill keep qma unless it gets to be too much
if your at kpmg you take the afternoon as study leave against one of your many that you are given. depending on your manager and how closely they watch your timesheets you even possibly just charge this time to admin or research and then use your many study days for a holiday at the end of uni exams.

if you are at a firm that gives you leave for uni you just up and leave at lunchtime and charge it to uni.

proo

HSC
roadcone said:
if your at kpmg you take the afternoon as study leave against one of your many that you are given. depending on your manager and how closely they watch your timesheets you even possibly just charge this time to admin or research and then use your many study days for a holiday at the end of uni exams.

if you are at a firm that gives you leave for uni you just up and leave at lunchtime and charge it to uni.
oh mad. i thought i couldnt do that cos when i emailed the hr lady she said that i had to take classes that started from 6 and that i couldnt use my study leave that way.

roadcone

HSC
well ultimately its up to your manager, but if they don't have a problem with it you'll be sweet.

toffee123

HSC
proo are you at kpmg? did she really say we cant use it that way? what would we use study leave for then?

proo

HSC
yeah im at kpmg. im in mma. what about you?

She just wrote:
"You will need to study part time after work hours. Your study leave is for study prior to exams. The UNSW Commerce course offers classes from 6-8pm so that should be fine -"

but as roadcone said, if the managers are okay with it, then things should be easier. ill change classes later if theres problems.

toffee123

HSC
im in aras. just looking at acc1501 classes at unsw, no tutes are offered after 5pm. only lectures go from 6-8pm, so they have to give us time off. only one tute in micro goes from 7-8, and its full. i really hope i dont have to change my timetable, was looking forward to possibly only one day of uni lol. wats your timetable like proo?

Last edited:

proo

HSC
i was also thinking of uni all in one day. but then again i thought it might be too much and also the classes got filled up before i could sign up for it.

mon - micro 4-6, 7-8
wed - acct 5-6, 6-8
thurs - qma 5-6, 6-8

HSC
can anyone give me some tips on the sorts of questions KPMG usually ask during their interviews? i have my first round interview for a cadetship tomorrow and would appreciate any help :)

lilkev161

HSC
Hey hows it goin? I got a second round interview this monday and I was wonderin if any of you had any idea of wat the group exercise, written activity and partner interview would be like! Any help would be appreciated! THANKS!

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
lilkev161 said:
Hey hows it goin? I got a second round interview this monday and I was wonderin if any of you had any idea of wat the group exercise, written activity and partner interview would be like! Any help would be appreciated! THANKS!
When I went through the interviews for vacation work last year, the structure was as follows:

Group Exercise: Small group, 6 or so people. We were given a list of people in need of a kidney or liver transplant. There was only one liver, so we had to debate in a group as to who received the liver. The key here is to make your voice heard, without talking over the top of anyone. Speak up when you have a point to raise, and be sure to listen to what everyone else has to say. If you are confident enough, volunteer to be the "scribe" that writes everything down.

Written Exercise: You're given a stack of emails to read through. The aim is to put together a team of people to complete a task. You need to read all the emails to determine who is available and who is qualified to do the job. You then need to compose an email to the group organising the team.

Partner Interview: My interview was for corporate finance, so it may be different on your end. We just ran through my resume, talked about footy, talked about his kids (a bit strange). He asked me a couple of questions about the market and some deals going through at the time. Nothing to panic about here, its just a chat, they won't torture you.

What they are looking for: Teamwork. Always teamwork. They have to know that not only are you smart enough for the work, but also that you can get along with people. Just be yourself, be confident and friendly. Remember peoples names. Speak clearly and don't be rude.

Thats about all their is to it. You've made it through the first round (hundreds of other people didn't) so you've got something they want. You just need to show it to them.

Best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)