kyoto ratification (1 Viewer)

mattfoo

HSC
hate to beat the dead horse but,
do you think Australia should have ratified the Kyoto Protocol?
it seems as if theres nothing but praise in the papers, am i the only one who thinks its a pile of crap?
i'm all for reducing greenhouse emmisions, but i don't think the kyoto protocol is the right way to go. now Australia has to rush into short term/unnesscary ways to ruduce emissions that won't do jack shit to slow that global armageddon. how about investing in nucelar power or solar technology that we keep shipping overseas?
we're going to look like fools when we miss the targets.
thoughts?

ccc123

HSC
mattfoo said:
hate to beat the dead horse but,
do you think Australia should have ratified the Kyoto Protocol?
it seems as if theres nothing but praise in the papers, am i the only one who thinks its a pile of crap?
i'm all for reducing greenhouse emmisions, but i don't think the kyoto protocol is the right way to go. now Australia has to rush into short term/unnesscary ways to ruduce emissions that won't do jack shit to slow that global armageddon. how about investing in nucelar power or solar technology that we keep shipping overseas?
we're going to look like fools when we miss the targets.
thoughts?
No.

I think its a load of crap. The targets prescribed are unrealistic and economically unsustainable. Case in point: New Zealand, which is largely agricultural and cannot possibly cut any more on emission is facing sanction for not meeting the targets.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What Schroedinger said.

I am tentatively in favour of Kyoto, but recognise it as a political stunt more than anything, and am annoyed at the lack of pressure people place on the biggest environmental hazard in the world (China) compared to places like America or Australia.

That is: the pressure isn't misplaced, it's just unacceptably selective.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Signing Kyoto is good in that we are now accountable for our actions in regards to emissions. We HAVE to cut them, else face repercussions. I guess my only qualm is that - if what has been thrown around is true - we will face fines because we have no hope of cutting emissions by the required rate in time for the deadline (2010?)
Are you fucking kidding me? you are a fool if you think we will face any serious repercussions.

Really we don't HAVE to do anything. Kyoto isn't really all that great, and Australia as a nation contributes shit all green house emissions on the global scale. We could own 20 hummers each and run them all on idle 24 hours a day and still not even approach the green house emission output of larger countries like Germany.

Do you really think cutting Australia's allready paultry green emissions will make a difference on a global scale? get America to half their emissions then we can talk about it.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Let's say, in a few years time, global warming ends up being over exaggerated and scientists finally realised it's just weather patterns, not man made crap. Imagine being stuck with a contract this silly Labor government signed that would probably become void in the future. LOL

boris

Banned
HSC
I'm not sure how true this is, but apparently there is a fucktonne of oil just south of South Australia, in the bite, and coz we signed some bullshit back in the 70s we cannot access this oil. Which is why we're being held to ransom by these Arab motherfuckers.

Dunno.

But anyway, fuck Koyoto and fuck hippies. They smell. I don't care how much of a limited resource water is, TRY BATHING IN IT REGULARLY.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
boris said:
I'm not sure how true this is, but apparently there is a fucktonne of oil just south of South Australia, in the bite, and coz we signed some bullshit back in the 70s we cannot access this oil. Which is why we're being held to ransom by these Arab motherfuckers.

Dunno.

But anyway, fuck Koyoto and fuck hippies. They smell. I don't care how much of a limited resource water is, TRY BATHING IN IT REGULARLY.

What? The Arabs have some kind of control over Australia's oil? WTF? :(

boris

Banned
HSC
chicky_pie said:
What? The Arabs have some kind of control over Australia's oil? WTF? :(
No, they don't control our oil. They control their oil.

We have our own oil, we just can't touch it.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
boris said:
No, they don't control our oil. They control their oil.

We have our own oil, we just can't touch it.

That's just silly, we can't touch it I can't believe it, pfft what government was running in 70's gave it a ok to do that, Labor? :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)