• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

La Trobe Law (1 Viewer)

gaggaz

Gold Member
HSC
N/A
I dont know what u guys would know being a vic uni but how does it rate and are the prospects decent for graduates? Not sure whether to put it down cause most of the talk is bout melb or monash uni for law.

Any help would be great? Cheers!

T

Tom Ruprecht

I think this has been discussed many times before, not La Trobe, but other smaller universities' law programs. Some things need to be said:

- If you are a good student, get an HD average and have a fantastic extracurricular record, you have nothing to fear and should not be disadvantaged by your university.
- Having said that, if two students with the same record as above, but one was from La Trobe, and the other was from Monash or Melbourne, the Monash/Melbourne person would have a huge advantage.
- Law firms usually go 1/3 Monash, 1/3 Melbourne, 1/3 other unis.

If you are thinking of post-grad study overseas, it is easier to gain admission if you did your undergrad at Monash or Melbourne because they are more reputable.

Having said THAT, if you are the university medallist at La Trobe, life will be good for you too. But there is danger if you get say, a credit average or low distinction average at La Trobe.

phrred

HSC
I dont think there would be a prob if u get a high Cr or low D average

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
But the degree is from a a 'lower tier uni' as most rankings put it. Thus Tom is saying you will need high marks to compete with the prestigious degrees from Monash/ Uni melb.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
phrred said:
I dont think there would be a prob if u get a high Cr or low D average
I think pretty much everyone has at least a high credit average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)