Labelling co-ordinate axes (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

Probably the most basic question that I should've asked in Yr8, but in the HSC, is it necessary to label the axes (1,2,3,4......)? Coz I find that in the exam it's just a waste of time. Is it sufficient to leave the lines blank, label X,Y and then just write the necessary points?

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
i normally mark several ordinates onto the axis ... usually the most necessary pts

pcwizz

Last edited:

clerisy

HSC
I agree.

On a similar topic, are we supposed to stick arrows on our graphs to show that it goes on in that vein for infinity (that is, on those that do)? I always have, but I noticed the other day that nobody else in my class do, and neither do the textbooks. I don't thiink it really matters-- they're obviously not going to mark you down for putting arrows on (or not putting arrows on)-- but I need to know the truth! What is supposed to be done?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
dont bother drawing lines for each coordinate.. eg : 1,2,3,4,5,6, blah blah

just mark the important pts... and label those parts on the axis ...

and u shud always have arrows on ur graphs..... and label the x and y axis... as a habit

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
dont bother drawing lines for each coordinate.. eg : 1,2,3,4,5,6, blah blah

just mark the important pts... and label those parts on the axis ...

and u shud always have arrows on ur graphs..... and label the x and y axis... as a habit
so does it matter if ur graph doesn't have a particular scale along the x or y axes?

would u get marked down for:
a) not laying out the axes properly i.e. not labelling etc.
or
b) not having arrows etc....?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well considering 95% of the time it says sketch you shouldnt need to mark the points (and when it says sketch you dont have to have a very accurate scale)

Arrows and labelling the axis x and y should become a habit.

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
so does it matter if ur graph doesn't have a particular scale along the x or y axes?

would u get marked down for:
a) not laying out the axes properly i.e. not labelling etc.
or
b) not having arrows etc....?
as for having a proper scale... i dont think it matters too much.. as long as it doesnt affect the shape of ur graph dramatically ...

as for arrows n stuff.. no i dont think u wud lose a mark... but still, do it anyway ... mayb some markers are bitchy in 2u and are less leniant.. i dunno

but say u had to draw a graph y=2cos(2x-pi/2) ... if u had no idea... and just drew the axis.. u wouldnt get any marks at all ..

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Xayma
Well considering 95% of the time it says sketch you shouldnt need to mark the points (and when it says sketch you dont have to have a very accurate scale)

Arrows and labelling the axis x and y should become a habit.
with the arrows....are these the arrows at the end of the axes or at the end of the curves? .... if so, u'd only put arrows on a continuous curve wouldn't u?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Put the arrows on the axes, and on continuous curves, and always label the curve with its equation.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I think you only need to put the arrows on one end of each axis as well

kpq_sniper017

ok..
i've always labelled graphs/axes etc.
but i've never put arrows on the end of curves...i guess i should get into the habit of it now.

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
should it be to scale? cause if u only mark important points then it wouldn't be to scale

Actuarial Boy
HSC
for continuous curves it is not really required to put arrows on the ends of the curve...

as the hsc solutions don't ... well that's what i heard from somebody anyway ...

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
for continuous curves it is not really required to put arrows on the ends of the curve...

as the hsc solutions don't ... well that's what i heard from somebody anyway ...
ok.
one other thing....with a graph like tan<sup>-1</sup>x + tan<sup>-1</sup>(1/x), would u be marked down if u forgot to draw open circles on the y-axis at the end of each horizontal line?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
ok.
one other thing....with a graph like tan<sup>-1</sup>x + tan<sup>-1</sup>(1/x), would u be marked down if u forgot to draw open circles on the y-axis at the end of each horizontal line?
I would, because it suggests that y = tan<sup>-1</sup>x + tan<sup>-1</sup>(1 / x) is defined for x = 0, which it isn't, and furthermore that it isn't a function, which it is.

On the wider question, exact scales aren't necessary, but all should keep diagrams roughly to scale, and also have approriate features. For example, when sketching y = sqrt(4 - x<sup>2</sup), the sketch should appear vertical at the x-intercepts, horizontal at the y-intercept, and it should appear symmetrical about the y-axis (ie. even).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)