Labor's Future (1 Viewer)

Optophobia

HSC
Iron said:
Shorten has the talent and ability. Make the case against him, or zip it.
How can you make a case on someone that you know nothing about? :eek:

Optophobia

HSC
Iron said:
Hence the zip it
Hence the rejection of those who prophesise that he is going to be Labor's next Messiah. You know nothing about him. You have been thrown a bone, you don't know if its diseased, or from what animal it has come. You just hope to "get lucky" with him, by sitting there, hoping that he will be "the one" who will lead the ALP to victory.

You can continue down this path all you like, but don't complain to yourself or anyone else when the ALP continues to lose at politics.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ok. Firstly, I dont need you to tell me what I know, thanks.
He's certainly a rising star with a national profile, and anyone talking about reforming the factional system is worth listening to. More importantly he's an injection of talent in the party, with a national profile and an essential law degree.

To say this has anything to do with blind chance is utterly juvenile. Talent, ideas and national exposure are all positive things which enhance electoral success.

HSC
Do you know the sheer (sp?) amount of people who fit the criteria you just mentioned? It doesn't account for anything. He has no sparkle. At the end of the day, he can be made of carbon like any other diamond but if he has no sparkle then no woman is going to want to buy him.

You're just hopeful that he is good enough, and that people will see him in this way. Chances are, they won't. If they want any chance of getting into power, they need a leader who 'clicks' with the population. You're jumping ahead and having hope in this guy when you have no basis to, because as far as i know, there has been no demonstration of this guy 'clicking' with the people.

Dude is union leader
Hawke was union leader
Hawke became PM
therefore, dude becomes PM!

eh.. no. He hasn't said anything in my opinion which makes him stand out from everybody else, though i can understand the desperation of ALP officials in wanting to get a new leader. A quote about a drowning man and a straw comes to mind. The only value that could be obtained in having this new guy as leader is that Beazley would be gone. Even then they are gambling on the fact that this guy would 'click' with the people. Its not known with 100% certainty that he would make a good leader.

Edit: Ammend previous posts, replace any infering that Iron felt this way, instead replace with "Labor fetishists", as Iron may not necessarily feel this way and i was merely exposing a group of people, not 'Iron' in particular.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Edit: Ammend previous posts, replace any infering that Iron felt this way, instead replace with "Labor fetishists", as Iron may not necessarily feel this way and i was merely exposing a group of people, not 'Iron' in particular.
I appreciate this, as it does not represent my views. Shorten is talented and has potential. No body contests this. But Labor's problems are deeper than leadership. Latham proved that. The Libs actually have a much bigger pool of experience and talent than Labor could ever dream of having, at this point.

Once upon a time, the Unions were great big things which many people belonged to and believed in. Whenever Labor was in trouble, they could count on talent being drawn from one of the Unions. Widely different occupations/experiences and ideas kept the party fresh and appealing.

Que the decline in unions, subsequent rise in factionism (unions clinging to power) and career politicians - you have a problem.
The Libs recruit anyone. No factions block preselections based on involvement in a group which <15% of Australians belong to. They have top merchant bankers, teachers, cops, lawyers, doctors - people who can appeal to the electorate.

Any functioning democracy needs a strong alternative to the government. The ALP needs huge reform. This cant be glossed over by distractions like Latham. Shorten is not such a distraction.

T

Tom Ruprecht

All you Labor-supporters...

Now you feel the woe that I felt when the Democrats died...

Generator

HSC
N/A
Tom Ruprecht said:
All you Labor-supporters...

Now you feel the woe that I felt when the Democrats died...
The Democrats aren't quite dead yet (till 2007, anyway) and the ALP is far from being in such a state.

Edit: On reflection, it looks as though I was merely trying to oppose your post in its entirety.

The Dems are pretty much dead, but the ALP is far from being in such a state.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Labor MP slams welfare

Labor MP slams welfare
Steve Lewis, Chief political correspondent
June 28, 2006

LABOR should become the party of "self-reliance" and initiative by weaning people off welfare payments, says Opposition MP and policy-reform campaigner Craig Emerson.

Consumers should be able to buy childcare and other essential services as necessary, rather than have them supplied through a central command system.

In a provocative policy foray, the outspoken Labor MP argues the Opposition should take an unconventional message to the next election: "We will get government out of your faces."

He also warns that the growth in welfare spending under the Howard Government will be unsustainable when the national economy slows.

Mr Emerson, a former economics adviser to Labor PM Bob Hawke, argues for modern Labor to "embrace markets, free of unnecessary regulation" - the best way to create prosperity.

And he borrows from the Mark Latham policy handbook, labelling his pitch to middle Australia as "reward for effort".

[continued - see link]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)