• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Language certificates and alternative entry to BSc? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello,

I have not done the HSC, and I am not yet mature age. I would like to do a BSc at Macquarie and also study Russian and Mandarin. I'm guessing because they are not covered in a BSc program, I must do them as non-award subjects in addition to my BSc. Is this how it works?

Anyway, what is my best alternative entry route? Am I eligible to do non-award language courses even if I have not completed the HSC? The website is not very informative. The language courses don't mention a specific ATAR requirement.

Could I use those non-awards to apply for a BSc, or would they only let me do a BA?

Thanks in advance.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Surely you could just take them as electives?

HSC
I assume that in doing a science degree, taking up two languages with multiple courses makes it difficult to pursue a science major.

Anyway, what do you think on alternative entry? Am I elegible to do non-award language courses? There's really no info on the site about who is elegible.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Well i think you should make sure the more simple ways of taking the languages are actually unavailable instead of just assuming they are. Have you had a look at the requirements for a B Sci? What were you planning to major in and how far were you intending to go with your languages?

Last edited:

HSC
Well major is a bit far away since I haven't even enrolled but I'm most interested in earth sciences. I don't understand what you mean by 'how far I wish to go'. I wish to go until fluency, I suppose?

X

xeuyrawp

ah ok, it's just a lot of people only want to learn the basics of languages (god knows why). Have you had a look at this?

Bachelor of Science - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University

From a quick glance at the major requirements it does look as if you will have enough elective credit points to take a few languages.
Yeah absolutely. Most of those majors look like you could do a full stream of a language in them as electives.

I would never, ever do non-award if you're not using it as a pathway. Even if you were doing a BSc and didn't have enough electives to do a language (which seems unlikely), you could pick up a Diploma or Certificate in Languages, or even a BA. There's really no reason to pay for non-award.

HSC
Ok, but in any case, I'm considering doing the non-award as a pathway to my degree program.

Is it at all possible to get into the non-award program without any certificates beyond the SC? Any way to display my aptitude for the units I'm applying for? The form only leaves two small spaces to write about why you want to do the non-award study and why you think you're suitable.

HSC
Macquarie University - Undergraduate Studies

For those interested, this basically lets you do a certificate of languages, transfer to a diploma, then transfer to a BA. That works out well because you get to study full time one language, recieve your credentials, and then start a BA doing whatever you want. However, I want to study languages and a BSc, so I'm not sure how helpful it is to me. I'd have to start my BA and then transfer after a semester to a BSc.

HSC
It seems the main two other options are studying at Open Universities Australia or sitting the SAT test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)