Languages (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I'm definitely going to USyd or UNSW, but I'm having a hard time choosing what language to do... here's the list

- Arabic
- Chinese
- French
- German
- Hebrew
- Japanese
- Korean
- Latin
- Modern Greek
- Russian
- Spanish

What would be the most useful, considering I am particularly interested in Science, but not Business? I don't intend to move overseas in the future

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ummm... is there anything which will also help with your background?

anyway, i wouldn't do hebrew or latin as i dont think they are spoken much.

i think do something which you can use quite a bit. japanese/ french maybe?

~Dreamer

HSC
i'd say french or german, interesting cultures and would come at an advantage if you plan to work in chemistry based science like cosmetics :p .

inasero

Reborn
HSC
What would be the most useful, considering I am particularly interested in Science, but not Business? I don't intend to move overseas in the future
for once, i have to agree with Keypad...but even so, latin and greek will not help u pull other chicks or guys (look at frigid lol) and is not extremely useful in this day and age...

i reckon chinese (mandarin, not canto) will is pretty useful cos after english, its the most popular language (not in terms of appeal but usage). French is useful but come on, these days all countries in the EU use English so it's kinda a waste of a language, whereas if u learn Chinese I guess that will put you in a good position for communication in China and south-east asian countries

or serios considerations aside, you could always learn korean for the wow factor. I think obsession with everything Japanese (including language) is a bit overboard.

Dingo

Banned
well if u aint going overseas then you look at the Australian population, there's no point learning a language if theres no one to talk to with it.

id say by reflecting the ethnic groups of australia, you should learn any of these:
Arabic
Chinese
Korean
Modern Greek
Spanish

for if you learnt the other langauges on your list, it would be rare for you to find someone to communicate with in that language, where as if you chose one from my list above, you would find quite many people in australia that speak them.

peace^^

~Dreamer

HSC
dont do arabic. its hard...really hard, and you wont use it much, unless you plan to be an interpretur

suz

HSC
Personally I would suggest Japanese, having done it, it is interesting and not too hard compared to Modern Greek which I found boring and extremely HARD, but that's just me

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Well I'm doing Latin for sure, but you're not allowed to major in it so looks like I'll have to major in French or Korean

Thanks everyone

Dingo

Banned
Originally posted by santaslayer
Chinese, Jap and Korean...since the asians will someday take over the world anyway
im mongolian, my great great great great great grandfather genghis khan has already taken over 1/3 of the world during his time. im going to finish off what he started and take over the BOS forums

peace^^

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
depends on which culture ur interested in
if i were u id choose french (out of the 2 to major in) because most of the characters are the same as english so writing and reading will be alot easier

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yeah and French is similar to Vietnamese as well

I did French in yr 9-10 and I was pretty good at it so yeah I'll probably major in that?

David27

Hip Hop is one of USydney's most pestigious courses for language.
UNSW excel in 'westie' english with self defence classes as a complement.
Maquarie have expertise in Chinese Takeaway menu translation.

Dingo

Banned
yall gonna speak chinese
yall gonna wanna be chinese
when yall walk around the city all u gonna see is chinese.
therefore yall gotta learn chinese.

peace^^

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo
yall gonna speak chinese
yall gonna wanna be chinese
when yall walk around the city all u gonna see is chinese.
therefore yall gotta learn chinese.

peace^^
ahh, very true..esp when u live near eastwood and strathfield

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
German is great with science, because they do a lot of research, and it gets great funding, so you get payed well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)