Laptop Advice Toshiba NB200? (1 Viewer)

Topazkick

HSC
I'm thinking of getting a laptop for university..so any good recommendations?

Looking for:
- word, powerpoint, internet browsing
- light to carry (under 2 kg?)
- can play flash and xvid files eg. tv shows or films at good quality and doesn't lag or overheat
- battery life 3.5+
- budget: preferably under $1000 but max $1300
- screen size 10 - 15 inches

(*I don't need it for video editing or gaming)

I was thinking of getting a Toshiba NB200 but I wasn't sure if it could handle playing high quality, long video files.

or

an Acer Timeline 3810T (but it was sold out at my local Harvey norman)

but I'm still looking, any advice is good ^ ^

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
You can save a bit of money on the office utilities by downloading Open Office and installing it since it is a free alternative to Microsoft Office and the saving will give you a couple of hundred dollars for something else

Topazkick

HSC
You can save a bit of money on the office utilities by downloading Open Office and installing it since it is a free alternative to Microsoft Office and the saving will give you a couple of hundred dollars for something else
Lol I already have open office on this computer but thanks for the tip ^ ^

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Don't buy acer. They feel like they're going to fall apart at a moment's notice

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't even need to get one with Office on it now anyway. Just download Office 2010 Beta which is free to use until July and then you can always go and buy the full version if you love it (or go with good ol' Open Office).

My recommendation is the Toshiba, as others have said.

K

khorne

So it looks like you're heading down the netbook way? I would recommend going down to a store which sells them, and practicing typing on the keyboard. In most cases a keyboard and make or break a netbook, as a poorly spaced one will just be rubish. Most netbook specs are very similar there days (apart from removables, like HD and RAM, as well as expansion slots).

However, I would recommend the Toshiba too, however, make sure to seek the 5800mAh, six-cell battery upgrade (It'll push the price up 100-190). With the six cell battery, I believe it adds about 200 or 300g weight, but the battery life (without power saving, while playing vids) is close to 6 hours (5 hours and 50 minutes).

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
So it looks like you're heading down the netbook way? I would recommend going down to a store which sells them, and practicing typing on the keyboard. In most cases a keyboard and make or break a netbook, as a poorly spaced one will just be rubish. Most netbook specs are very similar there days (apart from removables, like HD and RAM, as well as expansion slots).

However, I would recommend the Toshiba too, however, make sure to seek the 5800mAh, six-cell battery upgrade (It'll push the price up 100-190). With the six cell battery, I believe it adds about 200 or 300g weight, but the battery life (without power saving, while playing vids) is close to 6 hours (5 hours and 50 minutes).
This is only running Windows 7 I believe... and it also depends on the brand of the computer. From my 6-cell battery running on Windows XP, I pull 4 hours and 15 minutes, usually (running a few applications here and there).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)