Laptop for gaming and uni (1 Viewer)

jebzeb

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm doing a bachelor of arts + master of nursing. So i'll probably only need my laptop to surf the net, watch online lectures at home, do powerpoint presentations?, microsoft word etc. Other than that, ill be using pen and paper.

As the title says, i'm looking for a laptop which is:

- light (less than 2kg would be ideal)
- wont lag when i play fps games e.g CS:GO and RTS e.g warcraft 3
- a decent battery life (more than 4hrs unplugged would be cool)
- under $1.8k
- any OS (but prefer win7)
- could last me at least two years?

The reason why i want a laptop for both gaming and uni is because i'm living away from home (therefore no desktop pc)

At the moment i'm leaning towards a Lenovo laptop (but idk which model?)

Cheers guys ! I'd also like to know what laptop you guys use atm and whether you like it / dislike it.

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
should just get something cheap for uni and a seperate desktop for gaming.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
should just get something cheap for uni and a seperate desktop for gaming.
Same thought at first. I'd just build a nice $1000-$1200 desktop that can beat a $1800 laptop and spend the rest on a normal laptop.

x3mish

HSC
N/A
macbooks pro are good ;)
have had it for 3 years and still works fine
even tho it's not windows os

Jamesrulez1

HSC
You've got to stop contradicting yourself

Gaming + Uni is not advised either Game outside of uni or dont bother going to uni

light (less than 2kg would be ideal) - Ultrabook
- wont lag when i play fps games e.g CS:GO and RTS e.g warcraft 3 - Good luck with that, completely contradicts battery life and weight
- a decent battery life (more than 4hrs unplugged would be cool) - Even more good luck with that with games, completely contradicts the games part
- under $1.8k - can get amazing ultrabooks for less than 1.8k

jebzeb

HSC
ah k sweet guys i guess i'll get a cheap laptop and get a desktop

jebzeb

HSC
Best decision. If you need help in building one, I'm always here for you.
cheers buddy. i'm actually going to use my laptop i got from high school haha! Works just fine.
Do u play any games competitively?

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
cheers buddy. i'm actually going to use my laptop i got from high school haha! Works just fine.
Do u play any games competitively?
I only play lol as competitive game.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In my lecture and tut rooms there are literally power sockets on the desks
Been a while since I was at uni but it was definitely not the case in every room at UNSW. The newer buildings (eg ASB) had it but some others only had a few in each room.

IMO ultrabooks are a great choice for uni and depending how serious you are about gaming, you may be just fine with that.

LongeCrK

HSC
For under 1.8k I'd go with the Asus ZenBook UX303. That thing is pretty powerful despite it's fancy looks. Battery life is about 6.5 hours, should be enough for when you're on lectures. (Source: mobiletechreview)

Specs:

8GB / 256SSD / nVidia GeForce GT840-2GB

Cheapest I could find them was at SE for $1,499. Here's the link to their laptop deals.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Hey, I have that laptop.

It's pretty good. I'm honestly not an expert at computer hardware, but from normal use / school it's great. It's super thin, really light, and pretty. And it's fast. Lenovos are ugly. Also, you will need a case for this laptop as I said it's pretty thin and doesn't look too durable.

However, it's not really a gaming laptop... you'll probably have to get a desktop for that. Because putting games and that on a laptop is going to make it run slower, and you want your laptop fast for school / uni.

Why can't you have a desktop computer if your living away from home??
wut

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Am I wrong?

Whenever my computers have little disc space they run slower than normal and everything is 'laggy'. Like I said I don't really know much about computer hardware.

I only mentioned it because the laptop I was talking about doesn't have a lot of disc space.
You're not wrong - when the computer has less then 5-10% space left on it's main hard drive you'll definitely see performance issues however simply putting games on the laptop won't make it slower as long as you have reasonable space left on it after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)