laptop help (1 Viewer)

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
need to buy a new laptop because my current one has pretty much shit itself
i don't know much about computer features - is this any good?

dell u560703au inspiron 15" notebook for $598

2nd Generation Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz With Turbo Boost Up To 3.00GHz CPU
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth​
On sale now!​

it won't be for gaming or anything... just general use + uni work.
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/dell-u560703au-inspiron-15-notebook/659305

--
edit: i'm willing to take suggestions i really don't know what i'm doing here. my budget is ~$700

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Will you be taking it around? I bought this laptop:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/computers-laptops/laptops/asus-u31f-1yr-rx132v-13-notebook/647683

But for less than $600 from this store: http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=4884

The store above is in the City at that place where all the Asians go and do their tiny photo things (I forgot the name of the place, Capitol or something)

NEVER EVER buy laptops from Harvey Norman, Dick Smith, JBHiFi etc. They are overpriced.

If you don't game, then buy a less powerful laptop. The more powerful the laptop you purchase and the larger the screen, the lower the battery life.

This laptop has a 13" screen and it is a Core i3. However, it has 10 hours of battery life, which is absolutely awesome. I take it around everywhere I go.

Any excess power will just be a waste.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
but that onlinecomputer.com.au website looks dodgy...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
not too sure whether i will be taking it around. probably not.

i found this one from harvey norman which looks alright
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/asus-a53by-laptop.html
but no stores have it in stock and there is no delivery

the one you linked me too looks alright but a little too small for my liking
but i found this, is it any good?
http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=4917
Are you sure you won't be taking it around? That is what I thought with my first laptop, which I paid 1K for. I instantly regretted getting a powerful laptop (I thought I was going to keep it at home) because the battery life was only 2 hrs max on battery saving mode. I was waiting for it to die and when it finally did, I bought the one I linked you. Works like a charm, very light weight, awesome battery life, not laggy at all (I thought it would be crap because of the lower processor, but it's alright!), can't complain.

The Online Computer one you linked me is a good laptop. Don't go for the Harvey Norman one. It has an AMD processor, which means a smaller L2 cache compared to Intel processors.

However, there are a few negatives about it:

1. i7 processor is VERY powerful for a laptop. If you are not gaming, you absolutely do not need this kind of power. It will also contribute to laptop heating, due to the fact that it's more powerful.

2. 6 cell battery only is quite crap.

3. 15.6" screen is standard, but combined with i7 processor and an optical drive, I'm estimating your battery life to be 2.5 hours tops on power saving mode.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
but that onlinecomputer.com.au website looks dodgy...
You don't need to buy it online. I'm not a fan of big spending online, so I went to their actual store in the City. Like I said before, the store is located in that place where all the Asian chicks go to take their 'luvos' or whatnot.

The customer service there is actually really good, and it's not dodgy at all. It's a proper store etc with all their laptops on display.

EDIT:

macbook pro/air
gtfo.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
Are you sure you won't be taking it around?
The Online Computer one you linked me is a good laptop. Don't go for the Harvey Norman one. It has an AMD processor, which means a smaller L2 cache compared to Intel processors.
However, there are a few negatives about it:
yeah idk not too sure. but at the moment i don't plan on taking it around.
(maybe i'll take it to lectures etc? idk)

ok then i won't. but what does all that stuff mean? :S (i'm stupid with computers)

and ok those negatives make me not want it lol. but its kinda hard to see what else they have because their site is broken.

macbook pro/air
i'm just a poor boy nobody loves me (he's just a poor boy from a poor family)

You don't need to buy it online. I'm not a fan of big spending online, so I went to their actual store in the City.
i don't live in sydney

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
ok then i won't. but what does all that stuff mean? :S (i'm stupid with computers)
Imagine you want to rent a movie. You could go inside the store and look for the movie from scratch, then bring it up to the counter, then hire it.

Suppose this store had a box full of the movies that you hire most often (for quick access obviously). This 'box' is called the 'cache'. The larger the cache, the more movies that you can access quickly.

The movies in this case are programs that you access most often ie: Google Chrome/Mozilla, Microsoft Word, Steam etc.

The CPU (the brain of the computer) keeps a memory of the programs you access the most often, and opens them very quickly, as opposed to looking around several aisles looking for the right DVD.

The two main processors in the market are AMD and Intel. Intel is a bit more pricey than AMD, but it's usually justified since the size of their cache is usually larger.

i'm just a poor boy nobody loves me (he's just a poor boy from a poor family)
I wanted to finish that lol.

i don't live in sydney
Where do you live?

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
Imagine you want to rent a movie. You could go inside the store and look for the movie from scratch, then bring it up to the counter, then hire it.

Suppose this store had a box full of the movies that you hire most often (for quick access obviously). This 'box' is called the 'cache'. The larger the cache, the more movies that you can access quickly.

The movies in this case are programs that you access most often ie: Google Chrome/Mozilla, Microsoft Word, Steam etc.

The CPU (the brain of the computer) keeps a memory of the programs you access the most often, and opens them very quickly, as opposed to looking around several aisles looking for the right DVD.

The two main processors in the market are AMD and Intel. Intel is a bit more pricey than AMD, but it's usually justified since the size of their cache is usually larger.

Where do you live?
oh thankyou wow i should take you computer shopping with me lol

i live in kempsey (on the mid north coast)
near port macquarie/coffs harbour, heard of them?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
oh thankyou wow i should take you computer shopping with me lol

i live in kempsey (on the mid north coast)
near port macquarie/coffs harbour, heard of them?
Ohhhh, bad luck mate. I don't know of any big computer stores there, except the money hungry Harvey Norman, JBHiFi etc.

My friend once bought several hundreds of dollars worth of PC parts from a store in Melbourne, and he had no trouble whatsoever.

If you want to, you can easily order a laptop online. It's not dodgy at all because it generally has good reviews (the Online Computer) and I've personally been to their store, and it's legit.

Would you want to?

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
i can't browse their computers though??

--

i pretty much want a good laptop for under ~$700
preferrably i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd and at least a 15" screen

is that too much to ask for?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
i can't browse their computers though??

--

i pretty much want a good laptop for under ~$700
preferrably i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd and at least a 15" screen

is that too much to ask for?
It's not too much to ask for, but living away from the main part of Sydney or any major city makes it quite difficult.

As much as I hate linking you to one of the money grubs, I have to suggest this one (only because I don't know any other computer places near where you live):

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/comp...-aspire-as5750-2434g64mnkk-15-notebook/654511

It has all the specs that you like, with a 640GB hard drive (The dell one you linked has 500gb only).

Plus, it's under $600 so you'll be saving a bit.

For the mean time, browse this: http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/7dayssale.pdf

The main website is a bit glitched, but if should be fixed by tomorrow. Check it out once it's back to normal so you can have a good browse.

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
It's not too much to ask for, but living away from the main part of Sydney or any major city makes it quite difficult.

As much as I hate linking you to one of the money grubs, I have to suggest this one (only because I don't know any other computer places near where you live):

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/comp...-aspire-as5750-2434g64mnkk-15-notebook/654511

It has all the specs that you like, with a 640GB hard drive (The dell one you linked has 500gb only).

Plus, it's under $600 so you'll be saving a bit.

For the mean time, browse this: http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/7dayssale.pdf

The main website is a bit glitched, but if should be fixed by tomorrow. Check it out once it's back to normal so you can have a good browse.
Except it's an Acer, Acers have some of the worst rates of being brought back to be fixed.

Honestly, it shouldn't make too much of a difference with the processor since most of them will be second gen, first gen you may have lost some battery life but it's not hard to limit it.

But the big thing will be the screen, a smaller screen will save the battery so much more. I have this laptop, which was top end in November 10 but the battery life is shocking, mainly due to the 16" HD screen that it has to power. When connected to a bigger self powered screen it has almost double the life. But really, an i5 will cover him pretty well, but generally go for ASUS, Lenovo or Toshiba, otherwise there will be more problems further down the line.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Acer is the Hyosung of computers. Its hit and miss.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
but anything has to be better than this piece of shit compaq i'm using right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)