• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Laptop know it alls help me out! (1 Viewer)

selurkcin

HSC
N/A
hey all,

just wondering if anyone can look at these specs and post whether or not this laptop is good and worth around 2K.

also is fujitsu a good brand?? K thanks

• 15.4" Wide Super Clarity SuperFine LCD for excellent movie viewing
    • Intel Pentium M Proc 750 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    • 1GB DDR2 533MHz, Max Memory Supported 2GB DDR2 533MHz
    • 100GB Hard Disk Drive, Ultra DMA/100 and S.M.A.R.T support
    • Dual Layer Super Multi DVD Burner
    • 15.4" SuperFine WXGA TFT, 1280x800 pixels, 300nits Brightness, 500:1 Contrast Ratio, 72% Colour Gamut
    • ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 128MB Hypermemory PCI Express x16
    • Realtek ALC203 codec with built-in Stereo Speakers
    • Input AC 100 ~ 240V, Output DC 19V 80W
    • 56K V.922 modem, 100/10Mbps Fast Enet & Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection (802.11b/g) with Dual Antenna, Separate ON/OFF switch for wireless network connection
    • USB 2.0 x 4, VGA (ext display), RJ45 (LAN), RJ11 (modem), IEEE1394, S-Video out, Mic-in, Headphone-out, SPDIF, Power Adapter DC-in
    • Up to 3.7hrs (9-cell Li-Ion 7200mAh)
    • 362mm (W) x 267mm (D) x 39.9mm min (H)
    • Approx 3.4kg (with 9-cell battery & DVD Super Multi Writer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
The specs are decent. What do you need the laptop for? If it's just general productivity, it's fine.

Fujitsu is a decent brand.

As for value, I would say it's average/OK. 2k could get you alot better.

selurkcin

HSC
N/A
Collin said:
The specs are decent. What do you need the laptop for? If it's just general productivity, it's fine.

Fujitsu is a decent brand.

As for value, I would say it's average/OK. 2k could get you alot better.
like??

i will never ever buy dell again, i have had no end of troubles with each of my 2 previous laptops and 1 desktop from them.

fatmuscle

HSC
fujitsu is a good laptop brand.

gf's got one. been really good.

the only downside is, in Australia, they're a bit pricey for their specs.

Collin

HSC
N/A
selurkcin said:
like??

i will never ever buy dell again, i have had no end of troubles with each of my 2 previous laptops and 1 desktop from them.
Bad luck. With 2k I could configure an Inspiron with a T7200 Core2 Duo processor (2GHz), 2GB DDR2-667, WSXGA+ screen & 120GB HD.. which would woop the daylights out of that configuration you have there. But too bad you don't like Dell.

If you're after performance/price, I would undoubtably recommend Dell. If you're after style & reliability, then by all means go for certain models from Toshiba, Fujitsu, Asus, Sony etc. I just never go that direction because I'm not getting best bang for my buck (and rarely do those laptops offer a WSXGA+ option).

selurkcin

HSC
N/A
Ok so im really not worried about gaming capabilities and stuff liek that.

I just want a reliable, but decent laptop that can store heaps of crap, and will play/burn DVDs if i need it to.
would be good if it could play some games something like the sims quality, but not stuff that needs heaps good specs like say warcraft.

kthanx :)

selurkcin

HSC
N/A
well ok, but with macbooks,the other comps in my house are PCs. does this mean i wont be able to network them?

nwatts

HSC
selurkcin said:
well ok, but with macbooks,the other comps in my house are PCs. does this mean i wont be able to network them?
of course not.

it's easier to network macs to pcs than it is pcs to pcs. windows filesharing is a breeze, and sharing an internet connection is incredibly painless.

selurkcin

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
of course not.

it's easier to network macs to pcs than it is pcs to pcs. windows filesharing is a breeze, and sharing an internet connection is incredibly painless.
ok awesome.
just a few more questions

a)Whats so good about macbooks though
b) can i get one with similar specs as that fujitsu for $2K? (ie essentials DVD burner/large HD)

woodwardbrett

HSC
Get yourself a macbook. You will be able to run both windows and mac os so you can have the best of both worlds (thats if you really need to run windows). check out http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebOb...2&nclm=MacBook
for more info. as a student you get a discount, so the base model is only $1,574.10. it comes with 13.3-inch widescreen display, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo1 processor, 512MB Ram, 60GB hard drive and a combo drive (dvd-rom, cd burner), a built in camera (web cam soughta thing, called an isight). The price also includes all software that you will need. They also come with a cool remote control so you can watch dvds etc with it and not have to get up to pause etc. Macs also all come with wireless cards built in and also bluetooth (so you can connect with your mobile phone etc)

you seriously can't go wrong with a mac laptop these days... let alone any other mac. they are well priced and damn they have alot of features. and if for some reason you dont like the mac operating system you can use windows but personally i dont see a reason to not use Mac OS

buy a mac, you shan't regret it ever!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)