Laptop's 4 uni? (1 Viewer)

dezzy

HSC
Are they essential for lectures etc?

Do many people have them?

Whats better- use folders or a laptop?

Hmmm...if i need a laptop, i better start saving :confused:

ben7

wat ever u get make sure it is a 'known' brand and has a very good warrenty, laptops always break down. and i dont think u will use laptops in lectures (everyone i know at uni doesnt). im plannin on gettin just a pc, much cheaper.

HSC
Are they essential for lectures etc?

No. I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone use a laptop productively in a lecture. I have seen people play games and watch anime on them though, which seems fun, but probably isn't very useful :)

Do many people have them?

Some, from what I've seen that depends a bit on faculty (As you may expect). In Informatics they're relatively common, but seem a little more thinly spread elsewhere.

Whats better- use folders or a laptop?

Personally I take notes on paper in lectures, it's far easier than messing around with a laptop, and in a crowded lecture it's far more convenient this way (For me at least). I purchased a laptop for uni because I travel quite a bit to get there and back each week, and where I stay isn't terribly secure when I'm not around so purchasing a desktop machine and leaving it there is not an option.

For me it's just more convenient. If you do decide to purchase a laptop, you may want to consider buying used in order to cut the price significantly. As ben7 said, 'known' brands, are generally a good idea.

I've had a laptop for I guess around two years now which I purchased used, it's nothing flash, but is more than adequate for word processing and uni work while I'm away. So far I'm yet to experience any break downs with it, so being used doesn't necessarily translate to poor performance.

The price on a lot of new notebooks does look rather daunting, but it's important to remember that if all you really want it for is uni type stuff, and maybe to play some music or some stuff like that, you won't need one of the top of the line $3000+ laptops (As nice as they would be to own:) )

Good luck with it, post again if you need any more help and I'm sure someone will help you out.

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
i think a laptop would be easier as u can get ur notes down faster nad its organised and compact. a good choice for a laptop (if u do decide to get one) would be hp. i have the tablet model which u can turn teh screen to face up when u close it. and ur able to write on it. its kind of like a laptop and folder in one

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
From my experience those who use laptops are generally pegged as wankers (first year law anyway). I really don't think its necessary in the first couple of years anyway, handwritten notes are just easier

HSC
The 'only' benefit would be being able to bring your assignments to uni and finish them there... imo

If you get a centrino with all the wireless stuff then it would be more worthwhile cos u could access the network/internet at uni. Regardless, not many people have them and they aren't essential.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Ms 12 said:
From my experience those who use laptops are generally pegged as wankers (first year law anyway). I really don't think its necessary in the first couple of years anyway, handwritten notes are just easier
not in engineering, lol

but having one does significantly decrease productivity.

most lecture notes are in electronic format anyway. just practice writitng during the lectures
so your writing speed will be up to standard by finals.

santaslayer

HSC
I'm going to buy one at the end of this year, but not for uni. :p

Laptops are beneficial if you live far away from uni and your on the train. If your planning on doing assingments then it's easier to go to one of the computer rooms instead. :)

suz

HSC
I have a laptop but I find it easier to write my notes down. As someone said earlier in a crowded lecture it's just more easier, but I guess it depends on what you're quicker at, writin or typin
Plus if your lecturer talks heaps fast, writin is good practice for exams lol

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
In commerce and arts, they aren't essential and to a certain point still carry a stigma of wankerness for those who carry them into lectures and type their notes...

They're not needed generally but they'd definitely help at the unibar for trivia if you can get the net on it... that would be very plush.

santaslayer

HSC
I know five people in the Computer degree area who have laptops...maybe they need it more..?

Information Communication Technology
Internet Science, and
Computer Science...

doe

HSC
N/A
i have a laptop but i dont take it to uni. you dont need it, but it may be convienient. the people who bring laptops to uni are just trying to impress (but i do comp sci so its full of nerds who think laptops are impressive)

if you get one for uni i would reccomend

small
quiet
lightweight.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
doe said:
i have a laptop but i dont take it to uni. you dont need it, but it may be convienient. the people who bring laptops to uni are just trying to impress (but i do comp sci so its full of nerds who think laptops are impressive)

if you get one for uni i would reccomend

small
quiet
lightweight.
Watching anime while eating nachos impresses me.

If I had a laptop, I'd be doing just that.

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
I was planning to get a laptop for uni, until a friend of my mentioned the high lapftop theft rate... which got me a bit worried, considering I'm pretty forgetful already. I don't think I will trust myself with a laptop... the comp rooms will just have to do for me :D

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I don't even use the computer labs let alone a laptop... the only use I could think of would be purely for internet 'research' for unibar trivia... thats about it.

And yes polok, I have no doubt you'd be eating nachos and watching anime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)