Votes: 22 28.2%
  • I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

cimbom

HSC
... i'll have my laptop in the library maybe, but i really don't see myself using it in a lecture theatre, it's really silly to think that you'd take more comprehensive notes or something if they were typed. i had my ASUS E1830 *notebook* through y12 and i never took it to school once... but i don't know.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it's not really silly if you type fast. I type at 70+wpm I think. Writing is slow plus you can make some things not neat and appear out of context. When it comes to exams you're often left wondering what the hell your notes mean.

SweetSeasons

HSC
see, it doesn't sink in if i type it up.. I have to hand write all my notes and flash cards.. it's the process of re-writing things out that helps me learn..

I really only use the computer for assignments and at the mo I can't get my laptop to work with my printer, and the wireless internet is not workign, i'll need to g et some one in and fix it

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sweetseason, originally that's what I encountered. However, after a little time you get the same amount of info absorbed - you condition yourself to change your memory patterns.

jrk

HSC
I'm getting this sexyass Vaio for the sole purpose of movies and games (and maybe assignments..) .. its probably not gonna leave my dorm room all year. Can't wait!

cimbom

HSC
stazi said:
it's not really silly if you type fast. I type at 70+wpm I think. Writing is slow plus you can make some things not neat and appear out of context. When it comes to exams you're often left wondering what the hell your notes mean.
yeah i type fast too- it's just that my initial notes, from lectures would be in written form- which i would then convert to typed or whatever for use in tutorials, assessments... it's just the way that some people think, that typing what you hear and think is more effective, meh?

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
if i get in (yay, find out tonight), my parents will buy me a laptop. Not a powerful one, just one that allows me to do wat i need to do, most likely one of those 1000 dollar ones.

but yeah, i've looked at them, and they're not all bad. should be able to install sims 1 on it :p

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm going to buy a PDA before uni goes back... The main purpose of it will to watch downloaded tv shows if I have a long break between lectures but it is also good for notes.

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I'm going to buy a PDA before uni goes back... The main purpose of it will to watch downloaded tv shows if I have a long break between lectures but it is also good for notes.
lol same, especially lost. omg! the monster!

Bob.

HSC
Laptops

Just wondering, do many people use laptops to take notes during lectures? Or do most people just use a pen and paper? Just seeing what would be the easiest way tot ake notes.

pottsy44

HSC
Re: Laptops

Bob. said:
Just wondering, do many people use laptops to take notes during lectures? Or do most people just use a pen and paper? Just seeing what would be the easiest way tot ake notes.
in my course maybe 2 people out of a 100 use laptops. but that might just be my course.

hardly anyone even takes notes haha.

katrea

HSC

Some people go to lectures to sleep man! I've used some to eat my lunch.

To be honest, I'm old fashioned and love the pen and paper. And the laptop isn't worth a one hour lecture.

Affinity

HSC

Laptops work if youu kow how to use them.

depends on your subject,.

Last edited:

pottsy44

HSC

katrea said:
And the laptop isn't worth a one hour lecture.
and what is your reasoning for coming to this conclusion?

1-2-3 hour lectures. i somehow dont think that this will determine if you should use a laptop or not.

goldz

HSC

is it possible like in hSc to use a laptop for exams and stuff??

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

I mainly used my laptop in lectures to surf the net rather than take notes. I used the printed lecture slides to take notes. I really took my laptop to uni to use outside of class, to work on assignments and stuff, and to use when I was tutoring. So yeh, it's really up to you :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)