Laptops (1 Viewer)

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I've just gotten some money from my family and have decided to finally buy a laptop (seeing as I've moved out of home and my boyfriend's computer has a charming habit of freezing every so often). So I wanted to know, who here has a laptop and do you have any recommendations? Like, what places are good to check out, or brands I should stay far away from, what's something I should really get....As you can tell I'm a little clueless as to where to start.

I'm not after anything fancy, just for uni work and wireless internet, and am really hoping to spend not too much over $1500. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great.
cheers
Claire
Ps - Sorry I've been fairly absent the last few months, I've been more busy than usual with work and still getting my new place looking nice:)

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah i just started bringing my notebook during lectures
i can assure you that indeed it is very helpful, but thats just me
um since youre using it mainly on uni work and internet, then you wont need any high power specs, ie for you a centrino or a core duo would be sufficient enough for you, along with 512 mb ram, 80 gb hdd and wireless 802.11/a/b/g
have a look around www.laptop.com.au
www.cworld.com.au, and then just look for whatver one suits your budget/needs

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
MacBook - you can get it cheap through Apple education online

And you can have the best of both Windows (if anything good can be said about it) and OS X - brilliant for presentations etc and very reliable - we have about 5 Apple computers, none of them have ever had a problem

Peartie

HSC
Ive got an Asus - never had a trouble with it, but theyre fairly powerful - might be more than 1500 but i like it - and everyone i know that has one says that theirs is good - i went through the same problem abt 2 months ago trying 2 work out what is good and whats not...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Peartie said:
Ive got an Asus - never had a trouble with it, but theyre fairly powerful - might be more than 1500 but i like it - and everyone i know that has one says that theirs is good - i went through the same problem abt 2 months ago trying 2 work out what is good and whats not...
ive got an asus too
they rock
what model's yours? ive got the w5f...very portable an powerful too :D

Peartie

HSC
Mines from the F3j series - it was the newest - tis pretty powerful...i like it so thats all that matters really.....

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC

ALLLICE

HSC
Luke! said:
I've got an Asus F3f and a Toshiba A100. Both are excellent, but I like the Toshiba better. I use it for running my business/professional use and for playing games- so pretty much everything. Toshiba all the way!

Pfft. Macs are gay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU

For more information, go to...
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
Yay for Toshiba...i got a new Toshiba notebook a couple of weeks ago (a M100/M00) ... it's pretty awesome...reasonably priced too

i agree with macs being crap...(maddox ftw...haha)...apple in general is gay..my old ipod was a piece of crap

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Mac's are not crap. They are quite excellent. Don't be hating.

and don't get an Acer

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
ALLLICE said:
Yay for Toshiba...i got a new Toshiba notebook a couple of weeks ago (a M100/M00) ... it's pretty awesome...reasonably priced too

i agree with macs being crap...(maddox ftw...haha)...apple in general is gay..my old ipod was a piece of crap
Yeah, my iPod Nano sucks too. They say it will hold 2000 songs- it holds about 1000. They say the battery will last 12 hours- it lasts three. They say it "just works"- I say it's just a gay piece of crap.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
My laptop sounds like a rocket engine when its turned on, so no laptop for me in lectures :p

I use to think macs were crap, until I had to start using them this year quite a lot this year (for testing subjects and for research assistant stuff). While I prefer using PCs, Macs are very reliable and most experiments use macs beacuse they rarely crash compared to PC's. Nevertheless, I want to play games, and PC's the only serious choice for gamers.

<3 my ipod though. :)

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
Buy whatever laptop you want, but Acer’s laptops aren’t that bad. I’ve had mine for almost a year and I’ve never had a problem with it. People in my class are always complaining about how they can’t download phonetic fonts on their Mac!

X

xeuyrawp

marchetta said:
Buy whatever laptop you want, but Acer’s laptops aren’t that bad. I’ve had mine for almost a year and I’ve never had a problem with it. People in my class are always complaining about how they can’t download phonetic fonts on their Mac!
There are heaps of phonetic fonts for Macs... I assume you're using IPA?

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
All you haters of Acer eat hairy stools. Yeah thats right you fiends take that!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Good_riceZ said:
All you haters of Acer eat hairy stools. Yeah thats right you fiends take that!
Acer's are cheap for a reason. They use low quailty parts and have shit build quality. n00b.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)