LAST MINUTE CRAMMING....HELP W/ K.LEAR- READINGS PLz!!!!! (1 Viewer)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
hey everyone.....my brain has totally stopped right now! can somebody plz tell me about the marxist reading....like who supported it, what its states...? all i know about it is that it explains about how king lear loses power or sumthing about his loss of patriarchy and how natural order is skrewed up but restored at the end.....is it sumthin' like that? and what the hell is the aristotle one about??

HSC
marxism...ok i'll try and help, but i haven't studied my drama/extension history stuff on marxism yet so i hope i'm not way off!! cos i'm doing a marxist reading for king lear as well..~

um basically, marx wrote heapsa stuff concerning the suppression of the working class by the rich people (to put it in simple words). He believed that capitalist society was basically bad and that in order to change, the oppressed people must understand the situation they're in.

sorry..that's like the most simplified version i can get of marx to you!
so to apply it to Lear, basically a politcal + marxist reading would focus on the fact that Lear is a king despite all that family drama. With the film i'm doing, he's basically represented as if he was a tyrant and that all his decisions ultimately affect his kingdom, and its people. The civilians are affected, and they are presented as being really poor etc. See, you know how war breaks out at the end of king lear? That's the consequence from Lear's decision to divide the kingdom and his irresponsibility as a king. So Lear's kingship sort of runs parallel to capitalism (if you look at it in a political/marxist point of view) that this system is unjust and does not work because all the poor people/civilians suffer underneath the person at the very top.

(i know more, but it's all based on the film i'm doing so it's hard for me to explain it here!)
Ok i hope that helps:(!! good luck tomorrow~
-marilia- xoxo

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
yeah thats it. I'm using heaps of examples from the film too (kosintsev's russian production) but here goes..
the marxist reading, in general, focuses on all the political and class inequalities in king lear - and so unlike most productions, it doesnt simply centre on the story of the king and his daughters, but also put great importance on that of the king and his people. An important scene showing this is where he's in the hovel (shelter from the storm) with the poor 'naked wretches,' where he realises his ignorance of the millions of poor people in his kingdom, ("o, i have ta'en too little care of this!") finally sympathising with them, symbolised by when he says 'unbutton me' (taking off the clothes symbolising becoming equal with the poor)..

well thats the best i can do without mentioning the film..

anywho, GOOD LUCK!! =) :uhhuh:

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
ok thanx a bunch u guys!!!! :) the king lear qn waas a bit f#ckd up 2day but yeah i rote all about that maxist reading and all the other readings i knu..so yeah thanx 4 helpin out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)