Last minute proofs etc (1 Viewer)

Bunzhou

HSC
Also proof for ellipse/hyperbola where the tangent/normal at a point P bisects the angle it makes with the two focus..(reflective property of ellipse/hyperbola)I hate this proof.. Anyone know an easy way to do it?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also proof for ellipse/hyperbola where the tangent/normal at a point P bisects the angle it makes with the two focus..(reflective property of ellipse/hyperbola)I hate this proof.. Anyone know an easy way to do it?
Is that the one using that weird triangle thing?

Bunzhou

HSC
(ii) P is a point on the ellipse x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2=1 with centre O. A line drawn from O, parallel to the tangent to the ellipse at P, meets the ellipse at Q.Prrove that the area of the triangle OPQ is independent of the position of P.I've tried doing this proof for about half an hour now and I cant get it ><"... I got co-ordinates of Q(asintheta,-bcostheta) and I did (OPxOQ)/2 for area..and nothing cancels..zzz

DW

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
how come it equals zero at the end? its a bit odd..
He showed that . Since is a root of , then that means is also a root, assuming the coefficients are real.

@untouchablecuz: Do you explain the intermediate steps, or do you normally write the working out without explanation. I'm just wondering whether the markers will realise that you understand what you are doing or not.

untouchablecuz

HSC
well, if i feel the steps need explanation, i provide it; but in this proof, it doesn't seem like anything needs any explanation, except for the fact that the co-efficients must be integral (thanks for pointing it out)

Revelrous

HSC
theres a difference between doing an exam and not getting zero for an exam
i believe our friend here didnt do the latter - ha ha :p

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
er

how :S
Well for starters the whole exam was theoretical... There wasn't really any nasty calculations involved.

I rarely use a calculator anyway, I make too many mistakes.

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
wat about the latter part of the mechanics Q

did you do it in your head

The Nomad

HSC
well, if i feel the steps need explanation, i provide it; but in this proof, it doesn't seem like anything needs any explanation, except for the fact that the co-efficients must be integral (thanks for pointing it out)
You mean coefficients must be real, not integral? Or am I mistaken?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)