Last movie you've seen? (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
I've seen a few forums who've had a *huge* thread that people use to give a quick review of the last film they've seen, prompt some discussion over conflicting opinions, keep track of what you have/haven't seen. Usually a score is attributed at the end of your mini-review. I thought BOS could do with one. :p

I'll kick it off with Mysterious Skin which I hired out tonight. Great film, superb performances from a young cast. I haven't seen any of Gregg Araki's previous films, but this was stunning. It blended very confronting scenes with really restrained performances. It never felt exploitive or overboard, which I had predicted it would, and other films of similar theme have. It is terrible to think that Family nuts here in Australia wanted this banned.

I'll give it a 4.5/5. If I'd seen it last year when it was released, it would have been within the top 10 of films from 05.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
The last movie I saw was Donnie Darko. I am assuming most people have already seen this so I don't really need to give it a review but the ending went straight over my head. I saw the Theatrical Cut though which apparently doesn't explain things as well as the Directors Cut, so I will have to see that one day:).

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Last movie i saw was 'Kinky Boots'. It had its moments. I like typical UK films, full of English wit. They're funny. But the plot is just a little more than weird.
If you like huge black men dressed up as women, then this is your movie. lol the end is a classic!
i'd give it about a 7/10.

icecreamdisco

HSC
good idea for a thread. and glad you loved mysterious skin. araki's previous films are largely awful, although i must confess the doom generation is a guilty pleasure.

last 5 films i watched were...

the five obstructions - 7/10 - often fascinating, though i already knew lars von trier was a sadist.
pride & prejudice (2005) - 8/10 - marries classicism with a timeless youthful exuberance beautifully.
a history of violence - 10/10 - see seperate thread.
vera drake - 8/10 - sometimes i wish mike leigh would structure his films more effectively. otherwise, excellent.
hostel - 5/10 - see seperate thread.

tennille

HSC
Last movie I saw was Firewall. Great movie but I'm just sick of Harrison Ford playing the same type of character in his recent films. I'll give it 8/10.

walrusbear

HSC
capote was sweet indeed
no one could fault phillip seymour hoffman's performance
i find the line between exploitation and empathy an interesting one
not only was the idea dealt with intelligently, it got a strong emotional response

i also learned some weird stuff about capote, like his relationship with harper lee!

4 stars from me! (out of four, like the 'professionals')

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The Seventh Seal (saw this at the filmsoc screening :p) (1957): 8/10
Adaptation (2002): 9.5/10
Pianiste, La (2001): 6.5/10
Full Metal Jacket (1987): 8.5/10
Match Point (2005): 9/10

nwatts

HSC
Syriana was largely good. I'm a bit struck at what people regard as "Clooney's career performance" when, while very good, his work didn't strike me as particularly brilliant. I do think Donnie was better than him (when it comes to supporting actor at the Oscars) for Brokeback. I admired that this film didn't mind crapping America's inherit corruption within business/politics. I think that people will react to the pessimistic conclusion it gives (suicide trip/death of liberal brother) which is perhaps why it hasn't been received brilliantly by a handful of critics. Also it was a tad confusing at times. Overall, 4/5.

Also, Code 46 which is a bit of a favourite. Michael Winterbottom and Frank Cottrell Boyce are an amazing pair of filmmakers. Picked this up on DVD.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Films I've seen this week:

Saturday- Mr Smith Goes To Washington- 7/10

Finally saw this for the first time, and frankly I was disappointed. I guess it was silly of me to have expected it to be something like It's A Wonderful Life. Frank Capra.. James Stewart.. all the ingredients are there right? I was quite enjoying it until the filibuster scene filibustered me into submission. Between Taylor's goons beating up and water-cannoning the boy scouts and the tacked on relationship between Arthur and Stewart I lost much of the enthusiasm I had earlier on... Also I don't think Mr Smith has the same universal appeal of other films about individual courage against corrupt institutions such as say..Good Night, and Good Luck.

Friday- The Wedding Banquet- 8/10

One of Ang Lee's better efforts. Not up there with Brokeback or Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, but still a fine early effort that has all deftness of touch he displays in later, more acclaimed films.

Thursday- Eros (The Hand section)- 10/10

See other thread

Wednesday- The Constant Gardener- 7/10

Ralph Fiennes' character simply wasn't compelling enough to hold together what I think is supposed to a much angrier film.

Tuesday- Crimes and Misdemeanors- 9/10

I must be the only person who saw this after Match Point. Cliff Stern's part makes Crimes as a whole a superior movie to Match Point. Still, I think I would've enjoyed it a whole lot more had I seen it first.

Monday- Walk The Line- 6/10

*Yawwwwn* Jon Stewart was spot on, this is purely Ray for white people. I wonder if this movie would've received any attention at all had it not been for the wonderful performance by Witherspoon.

spiny norman

HSC
_dhj_ said:
You're mad. Eight!? I love Adaptation, but it's in no way a greater film than this. I watched it again last night for having just bought the DVD (and am glad to see Wild Strawberries and Cries & Whispers released - they shall soon be mine) and find it difficult to give it any less than ten.

Also, I caught A History of Violence yesterday. Despite ICD's praise (and pretty much everyone's in that thread), I disliked it quite a bit.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I don't rate movies on the level of "greatness", but rather on how much I can relate to them.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I don't rate movies on the level of "greatness", but rather on how much I can relate to them.
so arent they 'great' if you relate to them??

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
shell said:
so arent they 'great' if you relate to them??
Not necessarily. To say that a movie is 'great' if you can relate to it implies that there are no objective standards to filmmaking, which just isn't true.

walrusbear

HSC
_dhj_ said:
hey was it a big turnout?
i was going to go but ended up far too late. when i rocked up i could hear the movie had started

oh yeah, and norman is right, you're insane if you don't rate that one a 10

walrusbear

HSC
hmm ok
i don't think i've ever been to a screening that big before - but i never manage to make many screenings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)