Last Resort. =/ (Subject Selections) (1 Viewer)

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, bare with me, subject selections are due in a week's time and i'm still inconclusive on what subjects to pick. Here were my first ideas based on
  • My strengths
  • My interest in the subject
  • subjects that will not stress me out for the next 2 years
  • keeping a broad range of career/university opportunities
  • im not too fussy about scaling, i mean, any combination of subjects can get you 99.95 atar, correct?
  • advice from teachers, parents, family who have graduated (1st. generation australian) and peers.

Line 1 - Adv. English (Teacher is disappointed that im not pushing myself to do ext.)
Line 2 - 2U Mathematics (Same as english, i'm doing quite well in 5.3 w/o tuition for most of my schooling life [2 terms @ pretty crappy tutors])
Line 3 - Business Studies (Blitzing commerce)
Line 4 - Modern History (General interest in history)
Line 5 - Physics (general interest also)
Line 6 - Economics (Interest and blitzing commerce)

The problem is that my school offers the extensions in Line 3. So the questions i'd love answered and your valued opinions are

- Is business studies a prerequisite in any university courses relating to finance?

- Will i be disadvantaged in MX.1 because i do not have tutoring? (many people who do have tutoring have already selected MX.1)

- Does this keep a broad range of opportunities in my later schooling life?

- Also, teachers are concerned that all my subjects are theoretical/academic based, should i consider a subject such as D&T (On line 6)?

Thanks in advance,
DforDANNY.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say if your blitzing commerce and you think you like it then yeah why not business. But like, can you do business in another line? Im sure you can do 13 units in yr 11 unless your school doesn't let you.
The other thing is that tutoring is not necessary. I only get tutoring for reassurance that I am learning things in the right way and im exposed to a wide range of techniques in answering questions before I develop my own ways. Remember this however, if you good at maths and your doing 2u because its conflicting with business well then take up the extension. Business is a poor scaling subject. I mean if your at the top of your cohort in maths and enjoy it equally as much as business well you should be aiming to do extension. At the end of the day if you get 95 in hsc for both MX1 and business well MX1 will scale up a tad, business down a bit. Besides, your also taking eco so you should get some commerce aspects coming through. I was in a similar position, I was good at science but my history was better. I spent 2 days in bio and I was like this is not for me and switched to ancient and haven't looked back since.
Don't worry about what your teachers say, you have a nice balance going there with humanities, science and maths.

de__locke

HSC
Also, teachers are concerned that all my subjects are theoretical/academic based, should i consider a subject such as D&T (On line 6)?
Why would this affect you? If that's want you want and you want a high atar, don't worry about practical subjects. My school doesn't offer any practical subjects in year 11 and 12 and we do fine.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
- Is business studies a prerequisite in any university courses relating to finance?

- Will i be disadvantaged in MX.1 because i do not have tutoring? (many people who do have tutoring have already selected MX.1)

- Does this keep a broad range of opportunities in my later schooling life?

- Also, teachers are concerned that all my subjects are theoretical/academic based, should i consider a subject such as D&T (On line 6)?

Thanks in advance,
DforDANNY.
- No. It is not a prerequisite. Few university courses actually have prerequisites.
- No. I didn't go tutoring in Year 10 and I was in the top Maths class. I was better than 90% of the grade. I go tutoring now, and I am better than 99% of the grade, because I study smart.
TUTORING DOES NOT HELP YOU GET THE GRADES - YOU DO. It's about your exam technique, your understanding of the content and your performance in the exam.
- not exactly, however, keeping a range of courses from different subject areas may help you decide which career field you are geared towards
- NO!! It does not matter. You choose what you like. Most of my subjects are content based. Do teachers care? No.

maths94

HSC
- No. It is not a prerequisite. Few university courses actually have prerequisites.
- No. I didn't go tutoring in Year 10 and I was in the top Maths class. I was better than 90% of the grade. I go tutoring now, and I am better than 99% of the grade, because I study smart.
TUTORING DOES NOT HELP YOU GET THE GRADES - YOU DO. It's about your exam technique, your understanding of the content and your performance in the exam.
-

+ 1, the tutor can help you yes. But you are the one who has to put in the effort. Your tutor aint going to do your homework or your test or study for you. Your the one who has to do this.

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say if your blitzing commerce and you think you like it then yeah why not business. But like, can you do business in another line? Im sure you can do 13 units in yr 11 unless your school doesn't let you.
The other thing is that tutoring is not necessary.
Thanks clintmyster. The only other line business studies is on is line 4, which conflicts with physics. And i am not sure if im able to do 13 units, i will ask my careers advisor/head teacher on monday.

I 100% agree with you ninetypercent,
I was trying to say that because that i will not have a general understanding of content such as logarithms and polynomials in comparison to those who have learnt this from tuition (This is from my perspective, however true it might be) i'd be at a disadvantage. & yes, i do usually do better in my exams than most of those who do have tuition.

Why would this affect you? If that's want you want and you want a high atar, don't worry about practical subjects. My school doesn't offer any practical subjects in year 11 and 12 and we do fine.
Again, another kinda mis-wording from myself. A teacher recommended doing D&T as it is easy to gain marks towards your atar. He told me one of his previous student, who recieved a UAI of 99.XX had done d&t and came third in the state. I know this is rather unlikely, but impossible is nothing, right?

Again, i highly value your input and experiences and if theres anymore, please, take 2minutes to post.

DforDANNY.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Frankly, most teachers only care about the subjects they themselves teach and couldn't give a damn about any of the other subjects you have.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know you very well dFORdanny but I assume your in a state of ambivalence. Try English EX1 and Maths EX1 (most likely able to do cope figuring you show high levels of competency in the subject and evident because the teachers are telling you to push forward with it) and if you can't cope dispose of the subjects later on. If I recall my vivid imagination, once a upon a time this student that I seldomly know was doing well in English and Maths, still is and is definately my academic rival. Even though I beat him and vice versa, the game is to figure out who that person is. I'll give you a hint his name starts with "D". People do repimand our school, yes I do agree its not the greatest school especially the environment (doesn't cater for the more talented students) but I'll be content to finish my senior years here instead of Hurlstone or Fort Street, when will the letter come? I find myself in the same predicament as him, well specifically in the case of line 6 which contains Economics - which I would like to study and Ancient History. Yet to decide.

The subjects that I have chosen are:

* Maths Extension (Slaughtering Mathematics 5.3, understanding the concepts thoroughly)
* English Extension (Slaughtering Advanced English, still need to enhance comprehension)
* Chemistry (Still abit perplexed, not sure if I can grasp the concepts promptly)
* Physics (Passionate about it, hope that will boost my determination)
* Economics (low on students, class may not run without Principal's approval) or Ancient History (I do well in History however the class might contain students that disrupt my learning)

FML :\

Last edited:

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know you very well dFORdanny but I assume your in a state of ambivalence. Try English EX1 and Maths EX1 (most likely able to do cope figuring you show high levels of competency in the subject and evident because the teachers are telling you to push forward with it) and if you can't cope dispose of the subjects later on. If I recall my vivid imagination, once a upon a time this student that I seldomly know was doing well in English and Maths, still is and is definately my academic rival. Even though I beat him and vice versa, the game is to figure out who that person is. I'll give you a hint his name starts with "D". People do repimand our school, yes I do agree its not the greatest school especially the environment (doesn't cater for the more talented students) but I'll be content to finish my senior years here instead of Hurlstone or Fort Street, when will the letter come? I find myself in the same predicament as him, well specifically in the case of line 6 which contains Economics - which I would like to study and Ancient History. Yet to decide.

The subjects that I have chosen are:

* Maths Extension (Slaughtering Mathematics 5.3, understanding the concepts thoroughly)
* English Extension (Slaughtering Advanced English, still need to enhance comprehension)
* Chemistry (Still abit perplexed, not sure if I can grasp the concepts promptly)
* Physics (Passionate about it, hope that will boost my determination)
* Economics (low on students, class may not run without Principal's approval) or Ancient History (I do well in History however the class might contain students that disrupt my learning)

FML :\
Omnipotence, you seem very competitive with this 'rival' of yours. Does it go to the extent of sport or do you do any particular sports? Basketball, or rugby maybe? You also seem to like the 'underdog' (by this your point of staying in a government school i presume instead of those prestigious names such as fort street) status.
& i applaud your verbose language, although i hate taking out the thesaurus just to decipher what you're trying to say. You must have great staff at your "less that great" school & good luck to you and your studies, i hope you can achieve beyond the boundaries that people are believed to be set in government and or non-selective schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)