Last years test too hard? (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
omg i was looking at last years paper for 3unit and is it only me or is it the hardest test youve ever seen............. i guess its gud for us cause well dat means it should be pretty easy dis year i guess :S

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hey!

I did last year's HSC exam. I didn't finish it though :(
...even though I could have. (Ha! I remember this)

I can tell you that it was a race against time rather than a battle of knowledge.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I agree with Exphate. It's usually impossible to make a judgement or prediction about this year's exams based on that from last year. (I personally wouldn't go off making assumptions that it is hard or easy.)

Oh yeah...if you're going to do a past paper, either before or after it, please read people's post exam-thoughts in 2006.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/693/mathematics-extension-1/

HSC
they won't necessarily make this years test easier, but chances are they might, because there were heaps of complaints about last years test, so everyone got uber scaling.

i remember all the four unit people said it was quite easy and the three unit people said it was quite hard. i think it was because more four unit style questions were thrown into the exam and the four uniters were better equipped to answer them (and i'm not just saying that because generally four unit people are stronger at maths).

P

pLuvia

The exam wasn't that much harder than the other ones, it was quite similar to the 2005 paper. Time was the biggest problem I think. Ah.. too long ago :)

Yip

HSC
It was quite an interesting paper, less routine questions, which was a refreshing change. It was harder than the past papers, though not by a lot. Time was sorta tight though as usual for 3u, I had around 10-15 mins or so left i think

pennypacker

Walking on the moon
HSC
When i did it last year, I found 2006 soooo much harder than all the previous past papers. it was just yuck... i can quite safely say i didn't get any marks in question 6.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
6 of the repliers did the HSC last year....a walk down memory lane.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
make that seven.

its true that time is the biggest problem and that scaling was everyone's best friend after that exam :):)

at my school even some of the 4 unit students found the exam tough (or tougher than usual compared to the kinds of questions which popped up in past papers). i definitely found it to be the hardest of all of my exams but it didn't show in my results thanks to scaling.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hard?! It wasn't very hard in my opinion lol. I was actually surprised that there was an article saying how the exam was too hard...lol

However, I would have to say that a lot of the questions were very "different" to previous years so I guess that's why not many people found it easy especially if they basically live off past paper questions since many of the questions may have seemed so unfamiliar to a lot of people.
For me, the projectile motion question in Question 6 was the only one that stumped me. I was kicking myself when we discussed the solutions because it turned out to be so easy to do, it's just a matter of getting the right starting point (e.g. completely forgot that I could have done dL²/dx for 6(a)(ii) rather than dL/dx, even though we actually covered this trick at school)....lol
Also, an interesting thing I noticed was that the very first question 1(a) for the 2006 paper was almost identical to the very first question for the 2005 paper and the solution to both was exactly the same. The funny thing was that in 2005 it was worth 1 mark, whereas in 2006 the same question was worth 2 marks!

I'm guessing that all this was because someone new was in charge of the exam committee for Mathematics Extension 1 2006, so expect similar style exams in years to come....:p

cuppy

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
For me, the projectile motion question in Question 6 was the only one that stumped me. I was kicking myself when we discussed the solutions because it turned out to be so easy to do, it's just a matter of getting the right starting point (e.g. completely forgot that I could have done dL²/dx for 6(a)(ii) rather than dL/dx, even though we actually covered this trick at school)....lol
lol i can't believe you still remember all the questions etc it feels like years ago to me i can't even recall half the paper. i just remember walking out of the exam thinking "oh crap"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)