Lat. Cont. and Lat. Ext.: HSC 2007 (1 Viewer)

HSC
I still think they're trying to murder us with Classics.
Whyyy must they stick Ext English and Ext Maths on the Latin days? D:

My commentary learning tends to be a very last minute flick through of the books in relation to style/references/context and the hope I remember them >.> It's worked pretty well so far.

HSC
@RoadRage: Bahahaha that's funny, are you friends?! How big is your Latin class anyway!?

The only good thing about Pymble in my opinion at the moment is that it offers classical greek, otherwise I'm not impressed with the school at all.
The school's ethos completely contradicts itself and there appears to be more pride in sport and the aesthetic appearance of the school than academics. We only get acknowledged in Classics if we do something amazing, otherwise we get pushed back, now that I think about it sporting achievements get prioritised over academic achievement (like in assembly the refused to hand out our awards and medals for the ACLS because apparently swimming medals were more important) when academic achievement is mainly the only reason why parents enrol their girls at the school. Other than that, I find the environment incredibly superficial, from school policy to the types of people you encounter. The school doesn't care about the students, it cares about it's image and I honestly can't wait to get away. They encourage us to be our own individual and independant but they oppress our rights of exerting all that.

So yesh, greatest apologies for the long rant, but I generally hate my school! XD

Yeah that does help! Your way seems really simplistic and the more simplistic the better for me!!! I normally just go in and pray that I know something...I look at my notes incredibly briefly, but I check techniques more because I can't bullshit them. I'm a lazy English student, this is no different.

For once in my life I did context homework last week, so I think that will help me significantly. Otherwise I generally go on what I pick up in class because before assessments I'm too busy cramming the translations, but hopefully I'll leave myself enough time to actually look over stuff this time, but I generally pick up stuff as I go, which is BAD.

I'm no where near half way through any of my texts yet, so the next week or so is going to be incredibly stressful. Meaning a lot of no internet and general solid studying for hours on end. I hope to do the whole of Greek continuers tomorrow and make a significant start on Homer, and then the rest of Latin and Latin Extension will be done on Sunday. This is highly ambitious of me, but I'm determined to do it and not be up until 3am the night before. Luckily the extensions are easier to learn.

Ki: The organisation skills of our school have can be shoved up their arse. If they really cared about us as students they would have accomodated us better. Don't they get that Latin and Greek are scaled highly for a reason? They are hell for us to study and man the results gotten give the school a good rep. They've been incredibly cruel and they don't respect us until after the HSC which by then is too late. Seriously. Plus Exts are Exts for a reason...they're harder! They should give us a break before we explode. I. Really. Hate. Our. School.

You have a good memory my dear, mine is off with the fairies! But I do generally do what you do! I just have to remember what I did for the commentary I actually did really well in...it was some Virgil one... I'm scared shitless for Greek though...really need to finish that off tomorrow. T_T:bomb::bomb::bomb:

I'm sorry all, the ungodly hours of the night inspires the ranty part of my brain to get to work. :burn::wave:

HSC
D: It wasn't even Swimming MEDALS that Classics got skipped for. It was so the Cross Country team could all have their name read out and stand up in front of everyone before they actually competed.

Mmmph timetabling hell. At least they're nice and spread out for the pop quiz.

Latin Ext was surprisingly fast to learn - I found I remembered the general gist of most of it :D (Well, Lucy at least. Haven't attempted Cissy yet. Baha.)

D: Lots of Thucy to do tomorrow. Otherwise I think I'm on top of Classics (there will be stress, but not death-causing amounts.) It's Ext Maths with the freaking Latin that's the problem D:

HSC
My pop quiz is quite irritating though. Latin Cont. Eng. Eng. Chem. I think it goes!? That's quite gross!!

That gives me confidence! Yeah I looked over the first couple of sentences of Ext Latin and I remembered them so I was really happy. So I'm hoping to get Lucy under control in the next couple of days or two.

I'm stressed about Classics more, but I feel majorly screwed for Ext English, because I haven't managed to work out how to end my story and because I need to make sure my ideas fit around all my texts and that I have a decent amount of info to write, but luckily enough I know V for Vendetta, Electra and High Noon substansially, so the only text that will have to look over properly will be Medea...so I'm hoping to hell and gone that 2-3 hours of studying will be enough for that bloody sujet.

I KNOW THUCY WORDS NOW...YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAAYAYA...I really need to do good in that assessment...worried about the essays but I'm getting what's going on so that's ok...I have no clue about techniques though!!!

hannah_ryan

HSC
Hello,

Latin cont. student here - this thread is suprisingly active.

Just wondering what the general vibe is on the syllabus vocab - are you attempting to know it all by the exam or have you given up?

Where do you go for context info?

Have fun studying!

HSC
Royally and utterly caved. I'm just hoping I pick up all the vocab from the prescribed texts by the HSC...baha!

Um for context I go to my yellow book or notes my teacher gives me (or I make), otherwise I use the blue book if I'm desperate or go in and pray.

Yay Latin will have to be done in about 6 hours tomorrow night...I can't wait I'll be here until midnight 1am for greek...yay!

HSC
The Blue books are our set text books, while our yellow (virgil) and turquoisey (livy) booklets are these work books made up by some teacher somewhere that we got with the trannies, vocab and comment areas.

Man I hope I don't screw up Lat cont as much as Greek cont.

Fakhri

HSC
hey,

btw my name is Zara...

roadrage: so it wasn't a comparrison??? but still on both texts???
I really hope our ext questions involves no thought and no preparation cause haven't started studying and its on thurs...oh well..its in the afternoon..will study tomorrow..hopefully wil be able to learn everything by then...

Does everyone else find that they forget translations really quickly.??..i know i do cause i studied during the hols all my cont latin stuff and learnt all of it and couldn't remember when i was going over it yesterday really annoying...

Well...now i am down two only 2 exams...very happy both are my ext classics...thats much better than continuers...

hope everyone is going well for their exams...good luck

lots of love

zara

HSC
Zara, you know I ish the Queen of forgetting translations really quickly...I'm really worried about Ext Greek right now!

Trust me, in about 5 mins time will be the first time I've picked up Ext Latin pretty much at all and I need to get that done at a decent hour so I can study for Ext English a tiny bit...man I'm so uberly fucked. Comment will be absolutely bullshitted from me...I'll just go over their styles and remember their philosophies otherwise they can all DIE.

YAY 3 exams left and only one night more of OMFGIMSOSCREWDWANNAGOTOBED!!!!!!11111!!!!

Fakhri

HSC
Don't worry you are not the only one...i haven't touched ext latin since our last class..haven't learnt anything for it since..um...the last assessment...so i am stuffed..too completely...totally and i have again as usual nothing to write for an essay..it better be a comparrison..and Dr EB better give us only Lucreitus passage and just tell us to compare the style or something...or like two passages and tell us to compare what they are saying...something really really really easy...otherwise i am stuffed..

I wish i finished today..i really don't think i can handle another day of going to school and attempting to right bull-shit cause thats all my exams have been....

But really good news..I saw mrs brunning and she said that my latin cont was looking good...happy..but apparently i have typo's....of like 'the's' and stuff..oh well will have to work on my typing before the HSC...or i am doomed...

HSC
That's so good that Mrs B said good stuff about your latin!!!

I'm so glad EXT LATIN IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I never want to do that again...oh well at least we have a week to study for it in the HSC!

Bahahahaha how funny was the essay question I was like GEEZE!!!

"Lucretius believes the soul is immortal?" O_O

ANYWHOS! YAY NO TRIALS!

Gwendoline Marr

Special
HSC
Sorry for being retrospective but, They're thinking of scrapping grammar?

Why, oh why, did I do the HSC this year. If I'd accelerated Italian and decelerated Latin I wouldn't even have any exam clashes! :angel:

But moving on, what uni courses can we actually use Latin for? I'm having serious UAC-guide issues at present. And is it wise to base your judgment of a university on the complexity and cadence of the Latin in its motto? Yay for ''All'ultimo Lavoro'' is all I can say. And that "sidere mens eadem mutato" beats "manu et mente" any day.

nemoser15

HSC
Latin and Latin ext. are pretty much the worst subjects ever. Latin is a waste of time and as soon as i walk out of that exam november 9th i'm never ever going to have to use it again.

It's not hard and it's not rewarding it's just one big memory test of who can remember their seen's the best and screw up the unseens the least.

HSC
Well, no kidding?

###

Anywhos, Sheepy, they did scrap the grammar for Greek and I can't remember who (probably my tutor at Greek summer schooh) that they're thinking of doing the same for Latin as there's no point to it really.

Latin in uni...science and law. Well my barrister cousin is always bitching at me about NOT doing latin at school and how that's a BITCH for her.

anthropoestin

HSC
nemoser, why the hard feelings?
shall we, perhaps, compare latin with the other HSC courses available?

hmmm how about Business Studies? Now there's a subject which really pushes you to think! Oh yes, no rote remembering of syllubus points required, and it's not as if you don't learn the entire course in three weeks at uni in a commerce degree, is it? Wait, it is.

Geography? Because the large majority are really going to even need to know the subtelties of vineyard growth and suburban growth is interesting but hardly practicable for our careers. And again - makes you think or makes you remember? Obvious one.

What else....hmm how about Physics? Well physics certainly makes you think harder doesn't it? But in the end, it's rote learning and memorising of laws and formulae and regurgitating it for the examiners' will.

The one thing you CAN say for latin, is that it pushes you to think, and it has done over the past four or so years. It's a giant logic puzzle which needs working out AS WELL as combining essay skills with commentary to create an exam which is both logically demanding like maths as well as analytically assessed like english.

And if you don't think it's useful, well i disagree. it's loads more useful than PD ever will be, and it's HARD.

HSC
Yes, I think it's good to remind ourselves and others that do Latin is that considering the skills required for some other subjects out there, we're always going to have a much harder time as we're challenged and require a much higher and harder level of skills to be successful at our subject. That's the beauty of Latin, and although we may feel down about it sometimes, we must remember that Latin is scaled the way it is for a bloody good reason. XD

That's what keeps me going!

:wave:

Gwendoline Marr

Special
HSC
So, here I am, sitting around waiting for my Italian speaking exam to rear its ugly head, idly (desperately) searching for tips in the Italian forum - but, you won't believe it, Latin students talk more than Italian students (I'm talking about years, here)...

And Holy Oxen Off The Sacred Waterfall, we have a rival thread! :jaw:

Though by the looks of it Steph, it isn't really on par eh? Horrible latin composition there, folks. Makes me want to post samples from a little-known story authored by such (here-to unknown) classical authors as Zero, Zairy and Zyl.

But I feel guilty already; I re-downloaded MSN yesterday (my version was so old it couldn't work), today I am on BoS, tomorrow.... I won't be writing in tricolons anymore.

So for now, ciao ciao - it's back to the world of the living Italian language for me :ninja:

...oh, and Steph, I just got an idea for our next story, after "Quintus Fracta Est"... "Homo Solus, Duo Gladii" - or "Veni, Vidi, Vici Toro"??

But, I'll see you bright and early tomorrow morning - third last Latin extension class ever! :hammer:

Gwendoline Marr

Special
HSC
p.s. Ki and I tell you to go study Greek, so it will scale for the Pymble cohort to high heaven, plus all 21 greekies in the state can get 100.

p.p.s. We also tell you to study Greek because you're really good at Classics so it will help your UAI! XD

p.p.p.s. All Latin students, I hereby declare a state of emergency - study your other subjects, especially Greek, Math and English, because then Latin will scale enormously!! Go you good things, and use your one great advantage over the rest of the state: that the classics cohort is the most collectively brilliant there is...and don't bother with Extension because it scales depending on Continuers XD

p.p.p.p.s. Love you Stephie :wave:

p.p.p.p.p.s. Oh alright, the rest of you study too. But do well in English!

LivC

HSC
how did everyone find it? I thought it was pretty fair

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)