Late and final round offers, and vacancies - advice to students (1 Viewer)

engineering

HSC
N/A
Always accept your first round offer, even if it is not what you want. You can always drop it later without financial penalty.

You will only get a second round offer if there is a spot available in a preference higher than the one you got in main round (unless you change your preferences). You cannot get a second round offer if you got your first preference in the main round (unless you change your preferences). Hence to maximise your chances in the second round, you should change your preferences, and put the thing you really want as number 1.

V - absolutely guarantees there will be second round offers (if the applicants meet the ATAR cutoff).

No V - offers can still be made. Most unis make second round offers in most courses exept the most popular ones.

Last year Sydney uni engineering made offers in nearly every engineering or it course, even ones not listed as V.

It is also unlikely that unis apply a higher cut off for second round compared to first for most courses.

Strongly suggest anyone hoping to get second round offers should read the FAQ at http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/main-round-offers.shtml

Last edited:

Technoa

HSC
If the ATAR cut-off doesn't decrease but rather increases, does that mean there is no chance to get your first preference if you didn't get it in the main rounds?

engineering

HSC
N/A
It depends what your ATAR is.

Consider the scenario, student 1 has ATAR of 95 , student 2 has ATAR 90.5

For main round both had the same prefs

Pref 1 cut off: 90
Pref 2 cut off: 91

Both get pref 1, but both decide they really wanted pref 2, so they change their prefs to the second degree

Atudnet 1 is likely to get in, student 2 is not likely(but still possible if it hoes down).

As a student, the cutoff decision is something you have no control over, that is the uni's job.

xbonk12

HSC
What happens if I delete the first preference that I got as an offer and replaced it with the one I have, are my second round chances okay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)