Latest IFLR and Legal500 law firm rankings (1 Viewer)

El Misterio

HSC
Frigid said:
meh.

The Lawyer rankings Global 100 rankings

Ranks of Australian firms (by turnover in millions of GBP):

#78 Freehills
#79 Mallesons
#88 Minters
=#89 Cl'Utz
=#95 Allens

no need to discuss.

oh and apparently Blakes is the best firm, while Malles have the best lawyers
That article is hilarious. I don't think you'd find any lawyer in Australia - including those at Blakes - who would really think that it's the best firm.

And turnover is really a meaningless figure.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
El Misterio said:
And turnover is really a meaningless figure.
apparently neither is PEP... coz you got equity partners at the bottom of the lockstep, and then you've got the uber-senior-partners who rake like 100% above PEP...

but anyway, money isn't everything. :p

just wanna enjoy and be good at what i do, have a life etc.

btw, EM, since you did your HSC the year I entered high school, i assume you've gradded law and working somewhere right? how is it?

je2obrien

HSC
It's always interesting to see how the big six compare. Cheers.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i have uploaded the full table from The Lawyer Global 100.

does a higher 'Revenue Per Lawyer' mean more billable hours, so the masters are whipping the slaves for all their worth?

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Frigid said:

does a higher 'Revenue Per Lawyer' mean more billable hours, so the masters are whipping the slaves for all their worth?
It could be. But there are only a certain number of hours in a day. It means their people are worth more per hour. As you probably know the price of lawyers, senior associates and partners vary from 150 an hour to 1200 an hour. How much do you think Alan Fels at ABL or Mr. Leibler from ABL charge an hour for advice?

El Misterio

HSC
Wheredanton, no partner at any law firm in Australian charges $1200 an hour. The top tax partners at AAR might charge around 65% of that. ABL does that well because its lawyers work extremely hard - it's got a reputation in the industry as requiring the longest hours of any firm in the country. There's some truth in your observations, but with all due respect to Gadens Lawyers I don't think you could really say the work they get is of a higher quality than the work Freehills gets.

Frigid, those details are tweaked to protect the innocent, but yes I am working in a law firm and it's great. You're right about PEP being a misleading figure to focus on in isoltation - you need to think about the equity structure behind it. Some firms have a fairly flat structure, under which almost all partners make about the same, while others have a significant range of earnings across the partnership. Freehills is firmly in the latter camp, for example.

Moonlight, I agree that this was clearly Freehills' year, certainly in corporate anyway. Which makes the BDW 'award' all the more baffling.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
El Misterio said:
Frigid, those details are tweaked to protect the innocent, but yes I am working in a law firm and it's great.
do tell us more :)

which firm/which dept/why etc?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
El Misterio said:
Wheredanton, no partner at any law firm in Australian charges $1200 an hour. The top tax partners at AAR might charge around 65% of that. ABL does that well because its lawyers work extremely hard - it's got a reputation in the industry as requiring the longest hours of any firm in the country. There's some truth in your observations, but with all due respect to Gadens Lawyers I don't think you could really say the work they get is of a higher quality than the work Freehills gets.
I heard, somewhere, can't remember where, that Mr Leibler is around the thousand mark to advise on tax. I believe most partners are anywhere between 400 to 900 depending their experience/expertise.

Frigid said:
do tell us more

which firm/which dept/why etc?
I don't think it's a good idea to give away what firm you work for and your identity on the internet.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
I don't think it's a good idea to give away what firm you work for and your identity on the internet.
well, you can always say, one of the top 6, in corporate or something... not like we're gonna do an IP-trace :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)