• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Latham - education (3 Viewers)

astro

HSC
I don't see why elitist, $15,000 a year schools get such exorbitant funding from the government. They build music coverservatoriums, auditoriums, grandstands, Olympic sized swimming pools amongst other things when there are schools which have to sell off part of their land just to build a library. And then there are schools, such as mine, which had a classroom collapse because there wasn't enough money to fix it.
Where's the fairness in giving so much money to those filthy rich private schools...

Last edited:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
astro said:
I don't see why elitist, $15,000 a year schools get such exorbitant funding from the government. They build music coverservatoriums, auditoriums, grandstands, Olympic sized swimming pools amongst other things when there are schools which have to sell off part of their land just to build a library. And then there are schools, such as mine, which had a classroom collapse because there wasn't enough money to fix it.
Where's the fairness in giving so much money to those filthy rich private schools...
I agree with you in principle, but Private Schools "still deserve a piece of the pie".

astro

HSC
not much less...and i'm referring to Not-so-bright's argument...private schools don't receive that much less than public schools....
and thorrnydevil, i'm not saying they dopn't deserve any, it's just that they should get less that what they get now

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
1. Labor is not anti-choice. You can still send your kids to a private school if you have the money. The amounts they are taking off each of those top schools aren't that much really compared to what those schools would rake in each year. They aren't trying to cripple private schools, they are just trying to make things more equitable. A large proportion of the money they are taking off these big schools is going to smaller private schools and Catholic schools as well, not just public schools.

2. Some of you private school kiddies are missing out on some things that no amount of government funding will ever teach you and that is quite apparent by the things you post, particularly in this thread. Once again I bring up John Howard's point that private schools teach values.... one just has to question whether they are the best values to be teaching....

3. As I kid I used to think my school was pretty good.... but when I was doing the HSC and trying to compete with these schools essentually, and especially now after moving to Sydney and seeing the facilities that these private, and even some of the public schools, I have come to the realization of how unjust the distribution of government funding is, and how comparatively disadvantaged my school, and other schools in the area I am from, are.... this is in terms of resources, because I had some great teachers etc and the quality of your teachers in state schools doesn't really depend on funding... but still, the system needs to be made fairer because frankly it kinda sucks right now.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
1. Labor is not anti-choice. You can still send your kids to a private school if you have the money. The amounts they are taking off each of those top schools aren't that much really compared to what those schools would rake in each year. They aren't trying to cripple private schools, they are just trying to make things more equitable. A large proportion of the money they are taking off these big schools is going to smaller private schools and Catholic schools as well, not just public schools.

2. Some of you private school kiddies are missing out on some things that no amount of government funding will ever teach you and that is quite apparent by the things you post, particularly in this thread. Once again I bring up John Howard's point that private schools teach values.... one just has to question whether they are the best values to be teaching....

3. As I kid I used to think my school was pretty good.... but when I was doing the HSC and trying to compete with these schools essentually, and especially now after moving to Sydney and seeing the facilities that these private, and even some of the public schools, I have come to the realization of how unjust the distribution of government funding is, and how comparatively disadvantaged my school, and other schools in the area I am from, are.... this is in terms of resources, because I had some great teachers etc and the quality of your teachers in state schools doesn't really depend on funding... but still, the system needs to be made fairer because frankly it kinda sucks right now.
I agree with you that schools need way more funding, but if they're gonna take it off all the big private schools, why dont they take it off the smaller ones and Catholic Schools.

Personally, I think they should keep there funding, but public schools should get theres increased...big time.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Yes, braindrainedash put it best...compared to syd and the other urban centres regional aus has got crappy facilities and things. i remember at my school in syd you could win a holiday for bali in the school raffle - here it was something like a 20 dollar book voucher, whoopee - and we had art shows going on just about every weekend in syd, big prestigious artists. I know that probably isn't the best thing to back this argument but nevertheless. it's atrocious, we're learning things in yr 9-10 that I learnt in yr 5 in syd. regional aus deserves its funding, when the hell is it going to get it?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Yes, braindrainedash put it best...compared to syd and the other urban centres regional aus has got crappy facilities and things. i remember at my school in syd you could win a holiday for bali in the school raffle - here it was something like a 20 dollar book voucher, whoopee - and we had art shows going on just about every weekend, big prestigious artists. I know that probably isn't the best example to back this argument but nevertheless. it's atrocious, we're learning stuff in yr 9-10 that I learnt in yr 5 in syd. regional aus deserves its funding, when the hell is it going to get it?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
Yes, braindrainedash put it best...compared to syd and the other urban centres regional aus has got crappy facilities and things. i remember at my school in syd you could win a holiday for bali in the school raffle - here it was something like a 20 dollar book voucher, whoopee - and we had art shows going on just about every weekend, big prestigious artists. I know that probably isn't the best example to back this argument but nevertheless. it's atrocious, we're learning stuff in yr 9-10 that I learnt in yr 5 in syd. regional aus deserves its funding, when the hell is it going to get it?
Yeah, well our school needs more funding but I doubt we'll get it...were in a "Nationals Blue Ribbon Seat".

Also, if your refering to me in your sig, then the 15 people who repped me for it disagree with you.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Yeah, well our school needs more funding but I doubt we'll get it...were in a "Nationals Blue Ribbon Seat".

Also, if your refering to me in your sig, then the 15 people who repped me for it disagree with you.
no, I was refering to a certain other news and current affairs forum lurker.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Oh yeah...who?
your little girlfriend. i don't insult anyone unless they insult me first. and anyway she copied me, go to the link.

Mumma

HSC
Trust the labor party and Mark Lathem to come up with an absurd education policy!!
Now thats a pretty fucked up thing to say. And what, the current policy isnt absurd?
Have you seen schools like Arthur Philip and Holroyd or other piece of shit schools like that? Arthur Philip is basically a brick hole teleported in from the 1910s.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
your little girlfriend. i don't insult anyone unless they insult me first. and anyway she copied me, go to the link.
I went to the link...what about it???

astro

HSC
cherryblossom said:
...compared to syd and the other urban centres regional aus has got crappy facilities and things. i remember at my school in syd you could win a holiday for bali in the school raffle - here it was something like a 20 dollar book voucher, whoopee - and we had art shows going on just about every weekend, big prestigious artists. I know that probably isn't the best example to back this argument but nevertheless. it's atrocious, we're learning stuff in yr 9-10 that I learnt in yr 5 in syd. regional aus deserves its funding, when the hell is it going to get it?
I've gotta agree with you there, regional schools are pretty backward...they deserve a whole lot more funding

Last edited:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
astro said:
I've gotta agree with you there, regional schools are pretty backward...they deserve a whole lot more funding
I agree with that too, going to a regional school and all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)