Latham will reverse HECS increase and abolish full-fee (1 Viewer)

Jezzabelle

Mark Latham, interview on Channel 7 Sunrise, 2nd September 2004

MAL: Lot of talk about HECS fees. You're concerned about universities charging more than $100,000 a year. What's your plan to avoid this?

LATHAM: We're going to reverse the Government's 25 per cent increase in HECS. We don't want the next generation starting out as a debt generation in life. That would make it so much harder for them to get into home ownership so we'll be reversing the 25 per cent increase in HECS and abolishing the full-fee places. I don't want $100,000 university degrees around the country – let's have affordable higher education and expand the system. We've also got plans for 20,000 extra university places and extra resources for universities so we can do it the Australian way, which is about affordable education and it says to our students and parents, if kids work hard at school and they get the results, they can go on to their best chance in life, a university education, without being scared away by financial reasons.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Latham Latham Latham Latham Latham Latham

God damn it I want to vote.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Labor and their popularist political promises... fat kids, gst, hecs, forests... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
too late to roll back the GST, he can only change hecs increases for the 2006

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
and I love the interest rate guarantee... :rolleyes:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Maybe we should vote him in first and do angry student rallies later....he's the only one offering an ounce of hope for students at least...sure you could vote green, but why throw away your vote? (unless labor is your second preference)

Jezzabelle

its supposed be an election on trust. i dont trust John Howard. for many obvious reasons.

I say we should give Lath a go. We know for sure we cant trust Howard, but we cant say for sure about Lath.

I have faith in him, even if its only cos i think he's less likely to cark it

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Hmm, and i was going to put in a donkey vote...
I think id actually like to vote Latham now... Howard's 25% HECS fee increase is proposterous. I almost feel ashamed that my uncle is good friends with him...

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
there were good economics decisions for the increase in interest rates in the late 80s.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
the government doesn't decide the interest rates, the reserve bank of australia does. and the reserve bank of australia determines the interest rates by looking at the business cycle fluctuations. the question is whether the economic policies of the two governments are really that different that under a labor government interest rates would skyrocket by the amount howard is telling us (for the slow ones, the answer is no)

frenchie

HSC
Asquithian said:
there is no basis for stating that under a lathamgovernment interest rates would go up

stats simply show that the liberals go the rates on the way down...no one seems to mention the time when interest rates skyrocketed under the fraser government when Howard was treasuer :rolleyes:

Yes it was a pleasure to watch kerry o'brien basically say to john howard much of the economic success he boasts about came from reforms instituted by Labor under Keating etc. and that Howard has a similarly bad record on interest rates. He actually said words to the effect of 'yes that is true, but still i did good things aswell'. So in one breath he paints Labor as evil evil evil with the shit about interest rates, yet when pressed admits that he can't take much of the credit for our 'strong economy'.

I will vote Labor despite being disappointed more times than not . Let's just say the much lesser of two evils. Asswipe Howard will get his. Self-proclaimed 'war time' leader...hahahaha....i laugh. It just erks me how when a man takes our nation off to assist in the occupation of a foreign country he is allowed to proclaim himself a man of moral clarity, a strong leader capable of leading us through a war on terrorism. I guess the idea is keep the electorate afraid and then label yourself Almighty Protector hoping people will be afraid to change leadership. Let's hope people see past that.

Rorix

HSC
frenchie said:
Yes it was a pleasure to watch kerry o'brien basically say to john howard much of the economic success he boasts about came from reforms instituted by Labor under Keating etc. and that Howard has a similarly bad record on interest rates.
Because if Kerry O'Brien says it, it must be true! :rolleyes:

Many of Howard's economic policies which would boost economic performance have been blocked in the Senate e.g. second and third wave of labour market reforms. 1991 still haunts Labor's economic management credentials.

Latham's interest rate stunt is BS as is Howard's scare campeign on interest rates.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Its a fact...Liberal economic policy is far superior to that of the Labor Party. Any economist can tell u that...well thats what my Economics teacher said...and he's a greeny!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Its a fact...Liberal economic policy is far superior to that of the Labor Party. Any economist can tell u that...well thats what my Economics teacher said...and he's a greeny!
No economist would tell you that, since they are all pinkos.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
this is some funny stuff
love election times lol

it's a race to see who can make the most believable BS

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
this is some funny stuff
love election times lol

it's a race to see who can make the most believable BS
Isn't that what politics is all about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)