Latin Motto's? (1 Viewer)

E-Dog

Long Member
HSC
Hey all,

One of my biggest regrets subject wise is not doing Latin. Which is funny, because my main motto is "Haud Desiderium" which means "No Regrets". But anyways, if you do have a Latin motto, or even if you don't, post it and it's english tranlation here.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
"Illegitimis non carborundum"

or

"Intra schola, optimus musicus est!"

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Vero Nihil Verius...
Nothing is truer than the truth.
Some family connection or whatever, lol.

Taskan

HSC
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

its the one about "let he who wishes for peace prepare for war"

seano77

Walk On
HSC
“Corruptio optimi pessimum est"
(The corruption of the best is the worst.)

donz

HSC
memento mori - remember your mortality . pretty much.. we all die

henry08

HSC
N/A
"radix malorum est cupiditis"

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
here are all mine;

Curious about all the spells that Harry Potter and his friends learn over the years? Here's a list of the spells and what they do.

Accio
A spell to bring an object back into your hand. It can be used to bring a certain object, such as in Accio Butterbeer.

Alohomora
This spell opens a locked or closed door. The opposite of this is Colloportus.

Avada Kedevra
One of the three Unforgivable Curses, this spell causes death.

Colloportus
This spell locks a door shut. Hermoine uses this to cover their escape at the end of Book 5.

Crucio
One of the three Unforgivable Curses, this spell is the Cruciatus Curse and causes great pain. Umbridge tries to cast this on Harry at the end of Book 5.

Diffindo
The spell used to rip open tapestries and such. Used quite a bit in the computer game based on Book 2.

Expecto Patronum
This spell creates a silvery protective creature, a patronus. Harry's patronus is a stag; Cho's is a swan. Hermoine has an Otter.

Expelliarmus
One of the more simple spells, and the first spell that the D.A. group works on in Book 5. This disarms your opponent.

Finite
A spell to cancel the effects of another spell. Lupin uses it on Neville to get him to stop dancing at the end of book 5.

Flagrate
A form of fire spell, Hermoine uses this to mark an "X" on doors in the Mysteries area in book 5.

Flipendo
A simple spell that flips something over.

Impedimenta
This spell causes a person to freeze for about a minute.

Imperio
One of the three Unforgivable Curses, this allows a wizard to take total control of another person.

Impervius
A spell to cause an invisible wall to form. Quidditch players use this to keep the rain off their faces at times.

Incarcerous
Umbridge tries this on the centaurs in book 5 - to wrap ropes around them - but the centaurs easily shake them off.

Incendio
A spell to cause a fire to burn.

Legilimens
A spell to extract memories and feelings from another person, to in essence look through the memories another has.

Levicorus
A nonverbal spell to hang a person in the air by one ankle.

Locomotor
The locomotor spell causes something to move in a given direction. For example, to move trunks along with you, you would command Locomotor trunks. To cause someone to freeze stiff, you use Locomotor mortis.

Lumos
This spell causes the wand tips to glow and give off light.

Morsmordre
A dark spell that causes a dark mark - the sign of Voldemort - to appear.

Muffiato
A spell that fills the ears of anyone nearby with buzzing, so that conversations are not overheard.

Nox
A spell to cause darkness, the opposite of Lumos. Interestingly, the name of a fun computer RPG.

Obliviate
A memory erasing charm that Professor Lockhart was extremely fond of.

Petrificus Totalis
A spell to cause someone to freeze completely. It seems there are several different spells that cause this same effect :)

Portus
The portus spell creates a portkey that allows people to move from one destination to another easily.

Protego
A spell of protection, to ward off magical attack. Harry uses this at the end of Book 5 to keep a sphere that another is casting "Accio" on.

Reducto
An assault spell, reducto causes damage to what it is fired at. The students use Reducto to blow apart bookshelves at the end of Book 5.

Reparo
A simple spell to repair an object that is broken.

Riddikulus
An anti-boggart spell, that causes the boggart's scary shape-changing ability to be mediated. Mrs. Weasley has trouble with this one at the beginning of Book 5 when a boggart torments her with sights of her family dead.

Scourgify
A cleaning spell, James uses this on Snape when they are young to clean Snape's mouth out with soap.

Silencio
A spell to cause something (or someone) to become silent. As Hermoine instructs Ron, this spell is done with a sharp jab of the wand, not a wave.

Stupefy
This spell should freeze an object in place, but when Umbridge tries to use it on an escapee firework, it explodes instead.

Tarantallegra
A Death eater uses this dance-causing spell on Neville during the final battle in Book 5.

Wingardium Leviosa
Harry uses this to levitate tentacles away from him at the end of book 5.

Miffstaa

HSC
Triple777ER said:
here are all mine;

Curious about all the spells that Harry Potter and his friends learn over the years? Here's a list of the spells and what they do.

Accio
A spell to bring an object back into your hand. It can be used to bring a certain object, such as in Accio Butterbeer.

Alohomora
This spell opens a locked or closed door. The opposite of this is Colloportus.

Avada Kedevra
One of the three Unforgivable Curses, this spell causes death.

Colloportus
This spell locks a door shut. Hermoine uses this to cover their escape at the end of Book 5.

Crucio
One of the three Unforgivable Curses, this spell is the Cruciatus Curse and causes great pain. Umbridge tries to cast this on Harry at the end of Book 5.

Diffindo
The spell used to rip open tapestries and such. Used quite a bit in the computer game based on Book 2.

Expecto Patronum
This spell creates a silvery protective creature, a patronus. Harry's patronus is a stag; Cho's is a swan. Hermoine has an Otter.

Expelliarmus
One of the more simple spells, and the first spell that the D.A. group works on in Book 5. This disarms your opponent.

Finite
A spell to cancel the effects of another spell. Lupin uses it on Neville to get him to stop dancing at the end of book 5.

Flagrate
A form of fire spell, Hermoine uses this to mark an "X" on doors in the Mysteries area in book 5.

Flipendo
A simple spell that flips something over.

Impedimenta
This spell causes a person to freeze for about a minute.

Imperio
One of the three Unforgivable Curses, this allows a wizard to take total control of another person.

Impervius
A spell to cause an invisible wall to form. Quidditch players use this to keep the rain off their faces at times.

Incarcerous
Umbridge tries this on the centaurs in book 5 - to wrap ropes around them - but the centaurs easily shake them off.

Incendio
A spell to cause a fire to burn.

Legilimens
A spell to extract memories and feelings from another person, to in essence look through the memories another has.

Levicorus
A nonverbal spell to hang a person in the air by one ankle.

Locomotor
The locomotor spell causes something to move in a given direction. For example, to move trunks along with you, you would command Locomotor trunks. To cause someone to freeze stiff, you use Locomotor mortis.

Lumos
This spell causes the wand tips to glow and give off light.

Morsmordre
A dark spell that causes a dark mark - the sign of Voldemort - to appear.

Muffiato
A spell that fills the ears of anyone nearby with buzzing, so that conversations are not overheard.

Nox
A spell to cause darkness, the opposite of Lumos. Interestingly, the name of a fun computer RPG.

Obliviate
A memory erasing charm that Professor Lockhart was extremely fond of.

Petrificus Totalis
A spell to cause someone to freeze completely. It seems there are several different spells that cause this same effect :)

Portus
The portus spell creates a portkey that allows people to move from one destination to another easily.

Protego
A spell of protection, to ward off magical attack. Harry uses this at the end of Book 5 to keep a sphere that another is casting "Accio" on.

Reducto
An assault spell, reducto causes damage to what it is fired at. The students use Reducto to blow apart bookshelves at the end of Book 5.

Reparo
A simple spell to repair an object that is broken.

Riddikulus
An anti-boggart spell, that causes the boggart's scary shape-changing ability to be mediated. Mrs. Weasley has trouble with this one at the beginning of Book 5 when a boggart torments her with sights of her family dead.

Scourgify
A cleaning spell, James uses this on Snape when they are young to clean Snape's mouth out with soap.

Silencio
A spell to cause something (or someone) to become silent. As Hermoine instructs Ron, this spell is done with a sharp jab of the wand, not a wave.

Stupefy
This spell should freeze an object in place, but when Umbridge tries to use it on an escapee firework, it explodes instead.

Tarantallegra
A Death eater uses this dance-causing spell on Neville during the final battle in Book 5.

Wingardium Leviosa
Harry uses this to levitate tentacles away from him at the end of book 5.

oh. thanks for that

god will this turn into a harry quote thread?
...ok! :)

"have you ever wondered why voldemort cannot touch you? Love Harry. Love"

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
Inspirational Harry Potter Quotes Book 1

Below you will find some of my favorite Inspirational Quotes from the first Harry Potter book. Enjoy! “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.” Dumbledore, page 214

“Always the innocent are the first victims,” [Ronan] said. “So it has been for ages past, so it is now.” Page 253

“There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it…” Quirrell, page 291

“…to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” Dumbledore, page 297”

“The truth.” Dumbledore sighed. “it is a beautiful and terrible thing, and therefore should be treated with caution…” page 298

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, just as much to stand up to our friends.” Dumbledore, page 306

Return to the Harry Potter Quotes page

I'll post more later.
I know you want more

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Sirius Black

• [On being asked if dying hurt] Dying? Not at all. Quicker and easier than falling asleep.
  • My whole family have been in Slytherin...maybe I'll break tradition.
  • See ya, Snivellus!
  • We are part of you. Invisible to anyone else.
[edit] Amycus Carrow

• [In response to "Where do vanished objects go?"] I dunno, do I? Shut it!
[edit] Monsieur Delacour

• [referring to the razor he gives to Harry for his birthday] Ahhh...This eez a rather clever device, and et shaves you quite smoothly. But you'll 'ave to tell et ex'ctly where you want et to shave, ow'therwise you will find a lot less 'air where you don't want et.
[edit] Fleur Delacour

• (disguised as Harry with Polyjuice Potion) Bah.. Bill, don't look at me - I'm 'ideous.
  • 'Arry, you saved my sister's life, I do not forget.
  • (awkwardly attempts to break the embarrassment caused by Percy Weasley's appearance) So... 'ow eez leetle Teddy?
[edit] Aberforth Dumbledore

• You bloody fools!
  • [after being thanked for saving Harry, Ron, and Hermione's lives]] Look after 'em, then, I may not be able to save 'em a third time.
  • [To Ron] Brains like that, you could be a Death Eater, son. Haven't I just proved my Patronus is a goat?
  • [To Harry, Ron and Hermione] Secrets and lies, that's how we lived, and Albus - he was a natural.
  • There's only one way in, now. You must know they've got all old secret passageways covered at both ends, Dementors all around the boundry walls, regular patrols inside the school from what my sources tell me. The place has never been so heavily guarded. How you expect to do anything once you get inside, with Snape in charge and the Carrows as his Deputies ... well, thats your lookout, isn't it? You say you're prepared to die.
  • [referring to the Patronus] It's a goat, idiot!
[edit] Albus Dumbledore

• Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
  • It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it.
  • I loved them, I loved my parents, I loved my brother and my sister, but I was selfish, Harry, more selfish than you, who is a remarkably selfless person, could possibly imagine.
  • Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that make it any less real?
  • [Last words to Lupin and Kingsley] Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.
  • That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to understand. Of house-elves and children's tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.
  • Power was my weakness and my temptation.
  • (when Harry asked why he made the journey so difficult) I am afraid I counted on Miss Granger to slow you up, Harry. I was afraid your hot head would dominate your good heart. I was scared that, if presented outright with the facts of those tempting objects, you would seize them as I did; at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons. If you laid hands on them, I wanted you to possess them safely. You are the true master, because the true master does not run away from Death. He accepts that he must die and knows that there are far, far worse things in the living world then dying
  • [planning his death] I admit I am vain enough to prefer a quick, easy end, rather than the prolonged, messy affair it is likely to be if, say, Greyback is involved... or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it.
  • I ask this one great favour of you, Severus, because death is coming for me surely as the Chudley Cannons will finish bottom of this year's league.
  • Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living. Above all pity those who live without love. By returning you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed and fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say goodbye for the present.
  • [To Harry] If he could only have understood the precise and terrible power of that sacrifice, he would not, perhaps, have dared to touch your blood... but then, if he had been able to understand, he could not have been Lord Voldemort, and might never have murdered at all.
  • "To Harry when he was infront of the mirror of Erised" It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest most desperate desire of our heart.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.

[edit] Dudley Dursley

• [To Harry] I don't think you're a waste of space.
  • Why isn't he [Harry] coming with us?
[edit] Hermione Granger

• [Responding to Scrimgeour's question of why Harry's birthday cake is shaped like a Snitch] Oh, it can't be a reference to the fact Harry's a great Seeker, that's way too obvious, there must be a secret message from Dumbledore hidden in the icing!
  • Imagine losing fingernails, Harry! That really puts our sufferings into perspective, doesn't it?
  • [To Ron, mirroring a line in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone] Are you a wizard, or what?
  • Always the tone of surprise.
  • [Punching Ron after each word] You - complete - arse - Ronald - Weasley!
  • [Punching Ron after each word] You - crawl - back - here - after - weeks - and - weeks - oh, where's my wand?
  • Merlin's pants!
  • [After transforming into Harry by the Polyjuice Potion] Harry, your eyesight really is awful.
  • You could claim that anything's real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody's ever proved that it doesn't exist!
  • Mudblood, and proud of it!
  • [Crying, begging for Ron to stop from pursuing Death Eaters after Fred's death] We will fight! We'll have to reach the snake! But let's not lose sight now of what we're supposed to be d-doing! We're the only ones who can end it!
  • Wands are only as powerful as the wizards who use them. Some wizards just like to boast that theirs are bigger and better than other people's.
[edit] Griphook

• You are an unusual wizard, Harry Potter.
  • If I believe there is a wizard that is not to his own good, that will be you, Harry Potter.
  • So young, to be fighting so many.
[edit] Kreacher

• [hitting Mundungus Fletcher with a pan] Perhaps just one more, Master Harry, for luck?
  • Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!
[edit] Viktor Krum

• Vot is the point of being an international Quidditch player if all the good-looking girls are taken?
  • [Greeting Hermione at The Burrow] You look vonderful.
[edit] Lestrange, Bellatrix

• Harry Potter! Your death approaches.
  • [Last lines] What will happen to your children when I've killed you? When Mummy's gone the same way as Freddie?
[edit] Longbottom, Neville

• (To Voldemort) I'll join you when hell freezes over! Dumbledore's Army!
  • Thing was they bit off a bit more than they can chew with Gran. Little old witch living alone, they probably thought they didn't need to send anyone particularly powerful. Anyway, Dawlish is still in St. Mungo's and Gran's on the run.
  • (To Harry) Everyone in this room has proved they're loyal to Dumbledore - loyal to you.
  • (About rebelling against the Carrows) It got more difficult as time went on. We lost Luna over Christmas and Ginny never came back after Easter, the three of us were sort of the leaders. The Carrows knew that I was behind a lot of it so they came down on me hard.
  • (a graffiti sign) Dumbledore's Army-Still recruiting!
  • [To Harry, Ron and Hermione] You didn't hear her, you wouldn't have stood it either. The thing is, it helps when people stand up to them, it gives everyone hope. I used to notice that when you did it, Harry.
[edit] Lovegood, Luna

• Daddy, look- one of the gnomes actually bit me!
  • Thank you so much Dobby for rescuing me from that cellar. It’s so unfair that you had to die when you were so good and brave. I’ll always remember what you did for us. I hope you’re happy now.
  • I think the answer is, a circle has no beginning.
  • [Agreeing to cause a distraction] Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!
  • [After McGonagall says Lord Voldemort is attacking] Ooh! We can say that name now?
  • [On Ravenclaws reaction to unconscious body of Alecto Carrow] Oh, look! They're pleased!
[edit] Lovegood, Xenophilius

• Are you refering to the symbol of The Deathly Hallows?
  • How wonderful! Gnome saliva is enormously beneficial!
  • You may have been gifted by the Gernumbilies!
[edit] Lupin, Remus

• I am sorry too. Sorry I will never know [his newborn son]... but he will know why I died and I hope he will understand. I was trying to make a world in which he could live a happier life.
  • [On Potterwatch] I'd tell him [Harry] we're all with him in spirit, and to follow his instincts, which are good and nearly always right.
[edit] Ollivander, Mr.

• [To Luna] You were an inexpressible comfort to me in that terrible place.
  • The wand chooses the wizard, that much has always been clear to those of us who have studied wandlore.
[edit] Potter, Harry

• [The trio are arguing about who should and shouldn't break into the Ministry] Fine, I'll stay here. Let me know if you ever defeat Voldemort, won't you?
  • [To Ron and Hermione kissing] OI! There's a war going on here!
  • [Amycus Carrow spits in Professor McGonagall's face and Harry pulls off his invisibility cloak] You shouldn't have done that. [Using Crucio] I see what Bellatrix meant, you need to really mean it.
  • I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest.
  • She's seeing someone. Jealous type. Big bloke. You wouldn't want to cross him. [In response to Krum upon his interest in Ginny]
  • [19 years later, to his son] Albus Severus, you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew.
  • Then we'll have nothing to do but find Horcruxes... it'll be like a holiday, won't it?
  • [To Voldemort, right before they duel]] So it all comes down to this, doesn’t it? Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does ... I am the true master of the Elder Wand.
  • [To Rufus Scrimgeour] Interesting theory. Has anyone ever tried putting a sword into Voldemort? Maybe the Ministry should get some people onto that, instead of wasting their time stripping down Deluminators or covering up breakouts from Azkaban.
  • [To Remus Lupin, after Remus says that he doesn't want his son to meet him] I'd never have believed it. The man who taught me to fight Dementors - a coward.
  • I don't want anyone else to try to help. It's got to be like this. It's got to be me.
  • Nobody. There are no more horcruxes. It's just you and me. Neither can live while the other survives, and one of us is about to leave for good.
  • The (Elder) wand's more trouble then it's worth. Quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a life time.
[edit] Potter, James

• Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart!
[edit] [Professor] Flitwick, Filius

• You'll do no more murder at Hogwarts!
  • [When Harry asks him about the Diadem of Ravenclaw] A little extra wisdom never goes amiss, Potter, but I hardly think it would be much use in this situation!
[edit] [Professor] McGonagall, Minerva

• CHARGE!!!!!!!!
  • [On Harry using Crucio on Amycus Carrow] Potter, I - that was very - very gallant of you.
  • [To Severus Snape] Coward! COWARD!
  • [Telling the students of Snape's departure] He has, to use the common phrase, done a bunk.
  • [In response to "Where do vanished objects go?"] Into non-being, which is to say, everything.
  • [To Horace Slughorn] If you wish to leave with your students we shall not stop you, but if any of you attempt to sabotage our resistance or take up arms against us within this castle, then Horace, we duel to kill.
  • [To Horace Slughorn] The time has come for Slytherin House to decide upon its loyalties.
  • [When Argus Filch complains about students being out of bed] They're supposed to be, you blithering idiot! Now go and do something constructive. Find Peeves!
  • [About Snape after Slughorn comes panting into the room and after Snape jumps out window] (gesturing to broken window) Our headmaster is taking a short break.
[edit] [Professor] Sprout, Pomona

• Tentacula. Devil's Snare. And Snargaluff pods ... yes, I'd like to see the Death Eaters fighting those.
[edit] Riddle, Tom (Lord Voldemort)

• I have been careless, and so have been thwarted by luck and chance, those wreckers of all but the best laid plans.
  • Is it love again? Dumbledore's favourite solution, love? Which he claimed conquered death? Though love did not stop him falling from the tower and breaking like an old waxwork. Love? Which did not prevent me stamping out your Mudblood mother like a cockroach, Potter. And nobody seems to love you enough to run forward this time and take my curse. So what will stop you dying now when I strike?
  • It matters not! It matters not whether Snape was mine or Dumbledore's, or what petty obstacles they tried to put in my path. I crushed them as I crushed your mother, Snape's supposed great love. Oh, but it all makes sense Potter and in ways that you do not understand. Dumbledore was trying to keep the Elder Wand from me. He intended that Snape should be the true master of the wand. But I got there ahead of you little boy. I reached the wand before you could get your hands upon it. I understood the truth before you caught up. I killed Severus Snape three hours ago and the Elder Wand, the Death Stick, the Wand of Destiny is truly mine. Dumbledore's last plan went wrong, Harry Potter.
  • [Mockingly] Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived.
  • I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour.
  • (Chasing Harry while flying) Mine!
  • [Last words] Avada Kedavra!
[edit] Snape, Severus

• Hide them all, then. Keep her - them - safe. Please. (In reference to the Potters)
  • I wish...I wish I were dead...
  • (In reference to Dumbledore saying he should kill him) Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
  • [To Lily] He fancies you, James Potter fancies you!
  • Always...
  • [Last words] Look... at me...
[edit] Shacklebolt, Kingsley

• [In the form of his lynx Patronus] The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming.
  • [On Potterwatch] I'd say that it's one short step from 'wizards first' to 'purebloods first' to 'Death Eaters'. We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.
[edit] Weasley, Ronald

• BLOODY HELL
  • IF WE DIE FOR THEM, I'LL KILL YOU, HARRY!
  • [Punching Draco Malfoy from under the Invisibility Cloak] That's the second time we've saved your life tonight, you two-faced bastard!
  • Always the tone of surprise.
  • [On Harry's birthday present] It's not for my mother's eyes.
  • How in the name of Merlin's pants have you managed to get your hands on those Horcrux books?
  • [On being told that his soul would remain whole if Hermione stabbed him] Which would be a real comfort to me, I'm sure.
  • No, brutal triple murder by the bridegroom's mother might put a bit of a damper on the wedding.
  • Brilliant, I’ll go and get one of our other ancient goblin-made swords and you can gift wrap it
  • [To his children, Rose and Hugo] If you're not in Gryffindor, we'll disinherit you, but no pressure.
  • [Referring to Draco Malfoy's son] Make sure you beat him in every test, Rosie. Thank God you inherited your mother's brains.
  • And are they getting married in my bedroom? No! So why in the name of Merlin's saggy left -
  • [After kissing Hermione during the battle] It's now or never, isn't it?
  • [To Hermione] You're a genius.
  • All's fair in love and war, and this is a bit of both.
  • [With regard to Peeves singing his victory song.] That really captures the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?
  • I knew Ginny was lying about that tattoo.
  • Blimey, Neville, there's a time and a place for getting a smart mouth.
  • And what in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y fronts is so important?
  • -because it's the first time for all of us!
  • [When all the kids are staring at older Harry on the train] Don't let it worry you...It's me. I'm extremely famous.
  • "It hasn't exactly been a picnic, mate."
[edit] Weasley, Fred

• Thirteen of us against one bloke who's not allowed to use magic, we've got no chance.
  • Pathetic, pathetic! With the whole world of ear-related humour before you, you go for holey?
  • [Referring to Voldemort on Potterwatch] The fact remains that he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted by shampoo when he wants to.
  • I'm George, can't you even tell us apart when we're Harry? I'm only yanking your wand, I'm Fred really.
  • For instance, this new idea that You-Know-Who can kill with a single glance from his eyes. That's a Basilisk, listeners. One simple test, check whether the thing that's glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it's safe to look into its eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that's still likely to be the last thing you ever do.
  • [last words] “You actually are joking, Perce. . . . I don’t think I’ve heard you joke since you were—“
  • [in reference to looking like Harry] Well, none of us really fancy it...Imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as specky scrawny gits forever!
[edit] Weasley, George

• [Upon Fred's question about whether he was right in the head] I'm holy, holey Fred, geddit?
  • Why aren't Ron and Bill huddled round my sickbed?
  • [After losing an ear] Ah well, you'll be able to tell us apart now, anyway, Mum.
  • [After Fred praises Harry's speech] Yeah, 'ear, 'ear.
  • [To Fred about both looking like Harry] Wow - we're identical!
[edit] Weasley, Ginny

• [Talking to Harry after she learns he is going to search for the remaining horcruxes] So then I thought, I'd like you to have something to remember me by, you know, if you meet some Veela when you're off doing whatever you're doing.
  • There's the silver lining I've been looking for.
[edit] Weasley, Molly

• [After Bellatrix aims a Killing Curse at Ginny] NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!
  • [To Bellatrix] You — will — never — touch — our — children — again!
[edit] Weasley, Percy

• I was a fool! I was an idiot, I was a pompous prat, I was a - a -
  • I'm sorry, Dad.
  • [Duelling the Minister of Magic] Hello, Minister! Did I mention I'm resigning?
  • No - no - no! No! Fred! No!
  • [Avenging Fred's death] ROOKWOOD!
[edit] Other

• Peeves- We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one, And Voldy's gone moldy so now lets have fun!
  • [Engraved on Dobby's grave] Here lies Dobby, a Free Elf.
  • [Engraved on the Potters' grave. Taken from the Bible] The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. (1 Corinthians 15:26)
  • [Engraved on Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem] Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.
  • [Engraved on Ariana and Kendra Dumbledore's grave. Taken from the Bible] Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matthew 6:21)

[edit] Dialogue

Albus Dumbledore: "No," agreed Dumbledore. "You are a braver man by far than Igor Karkaroff. You know, I sometimes think we sort too soon..." He walked away, leaving Snape looking stricken...
[Hermione says] "Harry, I'm sorry, but I think the real reason you're so angry is that Dumbledore never told you any of this himself."
"Maybe I am!" Harry bellowed, and he flung his arms over his head, hardly knowing whether he was trying to hold in his anger or protect himself from his own disillusionment. "Look what he asked from me, Hermione! Risk your life, Harry! And again! And again! And don't expect me to explain everything, just trust me blindly, trust that I know what I'm doing, trust me even though I don't trust you! Never the whole truth! Never!"
His voice cracked with the strain, and they stood looking at each other in the whiteness and the emptiness, and Harry felt they were as insignificant as insects beneath that wide sky.
"He loved you," Hermione whispered. "I know he loved you."
Harry dropped his arms. "I don't know who he loved, Hermione, but it was never me. This isn't love, the mess he's left me in. He shared a damn sight more of what he was really thinking with Gellert Grindelwald than he ever shared with me."
Harry picked up Hermione's wand, which he had dropped in the snow, and sat back down in the entrance of the tent.
"Thanks for the tea. I'll finish the watch. You get back in the warm."
She hesitated, but recognised the dismissal. She picked up the book and then walked back past him into the tent, but as she did so, she brushed the top of his head lightly with her hand. He closed his eyes at her touch, and hated himself for wishing that what she said was true: that Dumbledore had really cared.
Lily Evans [to Severus Snape]: I can't pretend anymore. You've chosen your way, I've chosen mine.
Remus Lupin: "Support Harry Potter" parties are unwise in the present climate.
Lee Jordan: Indeed they are, Romulus, so we suggest that you continue to show your devotion to the man with the lightening scar by listening to Potterwatch!

Albus Dumbledore: Don't be shocked, Severus. How many men and women have you watched die?
Severus Snape: Lately, only those whom I could not save.
Severus Snape: Well, if you'd rather be brawny than brainy...
Sirius Black: Where are you hoping to go, seeing as you're neither?
Lord Voldemort: Why doesn't it work for me, Snape?
Severus Snape: My-my Lord? I do not understand. You-you have performed extraordinary magic with that wand.
Lord Voldemort: No. I have performed my usual magic. I am extraordinary...
Ron Weasley: He must've known I'd run out on you.
Harry Potter: No...he must've known you'd always want to come back.
Harry: Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?
Dumbledore: Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
George Weasley: Yeah, she just told me my ears are lopsided. Old bat. I wish Uncle Bilius was still with us, though; he was a right old laugh at weddings.
Hermione Granger: Wasn't he the one who saw a Grim and died twenty-four hours later?
George Weasley: Well, he went a bit odd towards the end.
Fred Weasley: But before he went loopy he was the life and soul of the party. He used to down an entire bottle of Firewisky, then run on to the dance floor, hoist up his robes and start pulling bunches of flowers out of his-
Hermione Granger: Yes, he sounds a real charmer.
Ron Weasley: Never married, for some reason.
Hermione Granger: You amaze me.

Mrs. Weasley: How do you feel, Georgie?
George Weasley: Saint-like.
Fred Weasley: What's wrong with him? Is his mind affected?
George Weasley: Saint-like. You see...I'm holy! Holey, Fred, geddit?
Fred Weasley: Pathetic. Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humour before you, you go for holey?
Ron Weasley: No, I mean we should tell [the house elves] to get out. We don't want any more Dobbys, do we? We can't order them to die for us -
[Hermione kisses him]
Harry Potter: (weakly) Is this the moment?
[Ron and Hermione don't stop kissing and hug more tightly]
Harry Potter: (annoyed) OI! There's a war going on here!
[Ron and Hermione stop kissing, but continue to hug each other] Ron Weasley: (as though a bludger has hit him) I know, mate, so it's now or never, isn't it?
Harry Potter: You've sort of made up for it tonight. Getting the sword. Finishing off the Horcrux. Saving my life.
Ron Weasley: That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was.
Harry Potter: Stuff like that always sounds cooler than it really was. I've been trying to tell you that for years.
Percy Weasley: I was a fool! I was an idiot, I was a pompous prat, I was a – a --
Fred Weasley: Ministry-loving, family-disowning, power-hungry moron.
Percy Weasley: Yes, I was!
Fred Weasley: Well, you can't say fairer than that. (holds out his hand)

Luna Lovegood: [Rushing to greet Harry, who is disguised by Polyjuice Potion] Hello, Harry!
Harry Potter: [confused] Er – my name’s Barny.
Luna Lovegood: Oh, have you changed that too?
Harry Potter: How did you know -?
Luna Lovegood: Oh, just your expression.
Minister Scrimgeour: You may wear that scar like a crown, Potter, but it is not up to a seventeen year-old boy to tell me how to do my job! It's time you learned some respect!
Harry: It's time you earned it.
Albus Dumbledore: If she means so much to you, surely Lord Voldemort will spare her? Could you not ask for mercy for the mother, in exchange for the son?
Severus Snape: I have – I have asked him –
Albus Dumbledore: You disgust me. You do not care, then, about the deaths of her husband and child? They can die, as long as you have what you want?
Severus Snape: Hide them all, then, Keep her – them – safe. Please.
Albus Dumbledore: And what will you give me in return, Snape?
Severus Snape: In – in return? ... Anything.
Severus Snape: You're...you're a witch.
Lily Evans: That's not a very nice thing to say to somebody!
Lily Evans: Does it make a difference, being Muggle-born?
Severus Snape: No. It doesn't make any difference.
Severus Snape: Are you intending to let him kill you?
Albus Dumbledore: Certainly not. You must kill me.
Severus Snape: ...Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?
Severus Snape: If you don't mind dying, why not let Draco do it?
Albus Dumbledore: That boy's soul is not yet damaged beyond repair. I would not have it ripped apart on my account
Severus Snape: And my soul, Dumbledore? Mine?
Albus Dumbledore: You alone know whether it will damage your soul to help an old man avoid pain and humiliation.
Kingsley Shacklebolt: I’d say that it’s one short step from "Wizards first" to "Purebloods first," and then to "Death Eaters." We’re all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.
Lee Jordan: Excellently put, Royal, and you’ve got my vote for Minister of Magic if we ever get out of this mess.
Severus Snape: I want your word!
Albus Dumbledore: My word? My word, Snape, that I will never reveal the best of you? Very well.
Hermione Granger: You come back after weeks - weeks - and you think it's all going to be all right if you just say sorry?"
Ron Weasley: Well, What else can I say? Hermione Granger: Oh, I don't know! Rack your brains, Ron, that should only take a couple of seconds-"
Albus Dumbledore: After all this time?
Severus Snape: Always...

Albus Potter: What if I'm in Slytherin?
Harry Potter: Albus Severus, you are named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew.
Harry Potter: My father died trying to protect my mother and me, and you reckon he'd tell you to abandon your kid to go on an adventure with us?
Harry Potter: You won't be killing anyone else tonight. You won't be able to kill any of them, ever again. Don't you get it? I was ready to die to stop you hurting these people -
Voldemort: But you didn't
Harry: - I meant to, and that's what did it. I've done what my mother did. They're protected from you. Haven't you noticed that none of the spells you put on them are binding? You can't torture them. You can't touch them. You don't learn from your mistakes, Riddle, do you?

[edit] Narrator

• The letter was an incredible treasure, proof that Lily Potter had lived, really lived, that her warm hand had once moved across this parchment, tracing ink into these letters, these words, words about him, Harry, her son.
  • "It doesn't mean defeating death in the way the Death Eaters mean it, Harry," said Hermione, her voice gentle. "It means... you know... living beyond death. Living after death."
    But they were not living, Harry thought: they were gone. The empty words could not disguise the fact that his parents' mouldering remains lay beneath snow and stone, indifferent, unknowing. And tears came before he could stop them, boiling hot and then instantly freezing on his face, and what was the point in wiping them off, or pretending? He let them fall, his lips pressed hard together, looking down at the thick snow hiding from his eyes the place where the last of Lily and James lay, bones now, surely, or dust, not knowing or caring that their living son stood so near, his heart still beating, alive because of their sacrifice and close to wishing, at this moment, that he was sleeping under the snow with them.
  • Ron stared around the room as though he was bidden to memorise it. [Awkward moment between Harry and Lupin]
  • Luna had decorated her bedroom ceiling with five beautifully painted faces: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville. They were not moving as the portraits at Hogwarts moved, but there was a certain magic about them all the same; Harry thought they breathed. What appeared to be fine golden chains wove around the pictures, linking them together, but after examining them for a minute or so, Harry realized that the chains were actually one word, repeated a thousand times in golden ink: friends...friends...friends...friends... Harry felt a great rush of affection for Luna.
  • There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet.
  • Then he heard a terrible cry that pulled at his insides, that expressed agony of a kind niether flame nor curse could cause[...]
  • The world had ended, so why had the battle not ceased, the castle fallen silent in horror, and every combatant laid down their arms?
  • Finally, the truth. Lying with his face pressed into the dusty carpet of the office where he had once thought he was learning the secrerts of victory, Harry understood at last that he was not supposed to survive.
  • People were moving around, trying to comfort each other, drinking, kneeling beside the dead, but he could not see any of the people he loved, no hint of Hermione, Ron, Ginny or any of the other Weasleys, no Luna. He felt he would have given all the time remaining to him for just one last look at them; but then, would he ever have had the strength to stop looking? It was better like this.
  • But he was home. Hogwarts was the first and best home he had known. He and Voldemort and Snape, the abandoned boys, had all found home here...
  • The night wet and windy, two children dressed as pumpkins waddling across the square, and the shop windows covered in paper spiders, all the tawdry Muggle trappings of a world in which they did not believe.
  • The green eyes found the black, but after a second something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, blank and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more.
  • The images of Fred, Lupin and Tonks lying dead in the Great Hall forced their way back into his mind's eye, and for a moment he could hardly breathe: Death was impatient...
  • "NO!"
The scream was the more terrible because he had never expected or dreamed that Professor McGonagall could make such a sound.
  • And Harry, with the unerring skill of the Seeker, caught the wand in his free hand as Voldemort fell backward, arms splayed, the slit pupils of the scarlet eyes rolling upward. Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality, his body feeble and shrunken, the white hands empty, the snakelike face vacant and unknowing. Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse, and Harry stood with two wands in his hands, staring down at his enemy's shell.
  • [Last line] The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)