latin tutor? (1 Viewer)

*banaz*

HSC
hi, i'm a new member to BOS and am just starting yr. 12 in a few days. I currently do Latin continuers with the Open High School and am the only person doing it at my school. I've been struggling a bit and i'm really looking for a good latin tutor who would be able to help me. Any suggestions?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Hey, welcome! :)

I don't know many ppl who tutor latin, since it's soooo in demand. Where abouts are you located? Because your likelihood of getting a tutor is greatly enhanced/sullied by this.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*fine, i post again just this once to help*

i dun think you can manage to secure the services of any one of us (uni students) since: a) most of us have managed to forget most, if not all, of our latin by now and b) coz we're simply not good enough for you to pay money for us (well... i'm not good enough for you to pay money for me...) even though most of us got over 90+ in latin.

however, my idea is to secure the services of one of the teachers in a selective/private school that have latin... if you're enthusiastic, i dun see why one of my old highschool latin teachers won't be able to help you... i can't guarantee they will be available - however it never hurts to try...

Mr Mason or Mrs Matsos of Languages dept, Sydney Boys, phone no: 9361 6910. tell them wenhui sent u :p

*banaz*

HSC
hi again,
thanx for your help guys! i used to go to st. george so i might try my old latin teacher and see if she's available, but if she isn't i might take up ringing those other teachers you mentioned. atm, i'm located around chatswood, but travelling isn't really a bother for me. i'll see how things go though. thanx again!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
you're welcome. If that doesn't work, get back to us. :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
romance_junkie said:
hey

i'd be happy to tutor latin! i did HSC Latin in 2004 and got 97. So please email me if interested at amandafoong3000@yahoo.com.au or PM me.

cheers,

amanda
wah amanda that's crazzzy! :p did u get into top 10?

btw, no offence to amanda or anyone, but i personally would highly recommend getting a latin teacher as a tutor. they know their opus back-to-front (the good ones that is) :)

haha no offence taken Frigid...on the other hand, you could always get tutoring from the famous laurie field who got 100 in Latin, topped the course, etc.

oh - i could also recommend my latin teacher - all of us 5 students (lol...small class I know) got band 6 in latin in 2004. If you want her details, PM me.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
romance_junkie said:
oh - i could also recommend my latin teacher - all of us 5 students (lol...small class I know) got band 6 in latin in 2004. If you want her details, PM me.
i have a feeling you're from either abbotsleigh or ravenswood?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
This should really be posted in the buy/sell forum

romance_junkie said:
on the other hand, you could always get tutoring from the famous laurie field who got 100 in Latin, topped the course, etc.
I would highly recommend him.

romance_junkie said:
Not to mention there was the person who came second in state in latin...too bad she's not in Sydney, I'd recommend her too (if she's willing to tutor).

Templar said:
Not to mention there was the person who came second in state in latin...too bad she's not in Sydney, I'd recommend her too (if she's willing to tutor).
haha...of course, my learned classmate - she's really good at tutoring! She helped so many of us in maths last year :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
romance_junkie said:
is my abbotsleigh school pride so obvious?
deduce: northshore, girl, latin, most likely not open high...

not that hard to narrow down.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
romance_junkie said:
haha...of course, my learned classmate - she's really good at tutoring! She helped so many of us in maths last year :)
Whoa, I knew she was good, but I didn't know she was brilliant at maths...

Last edited:

laney

HSC
romance_junkie said:
hahahaha...how do u know?
is my abbotsleigh school pride so obvious?
who are you?
schreuder was a really good teacher! i had her 6 years in a row and it was tops! i got band 5 but that's because i was crap :D

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
What about Tom Geue...
-Acted as Cicero in the 2002 play "I, Clodia" (I acted as his scribe, Tiro)
-3rd in the state for Latin Extension 2003
-Dux of North Sydney Boys High
-After achieving a UAI of 99.95, told national television cameras that he wants to become a Latin teacher
-Now studying in Sydney University, Second Year, to become a Latin teacher

You'd have to ask him if he'd tutor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)