Law anyone???? (1 Viewer)

patlaw

HSC
I am thinking about doing law at newcastle uni but i don't really know what it's like or what they have to offer.
Is anyone doing law at the moment that i can talk to?

PS. Hipsta jess.... your help with most things is appreciated but don't reply with a hyperlink to the bus/law faculty's website, it isn't very helpful for future students.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
What kind of information were you looking for?

The two first year subjects are Legal System and Method (basically just learning how to communicate as a lawyer, learning about the Constitution, Common Law, Statutory Interpretation, etc.) and Criminal Laws and Procedure (murder, sexual assault, robbery, traffic offences, etc.).

Legal System and Method is considerably boring, but it's not impossible to do well. This year we did a few research tasks, a few essays, and a communications workbook that simply tests your lawyer-client skills.

Criminal Laws and Procedure is difficult, in my opinion. The workload isn't demanding (unless you want to do all your readings), but it's near impossible to do extremely well. Our mid-semester exam, for example, had an average of about 60%.

All in all, I think it's enjoyable. If you don't mind some readings, doing speeches, or writing essays... I think you'll enjoy it too. :p

HSC
I'd like some information on the combined law degrees,
how many hrs law and how many hrs of ur other subject do u do per week?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
8 hours of Law per week:

Legal System and Method (4 hours)
Legal System - 2 hour lecture
Legal Research - 1 hour lecture (this only goes for one semester)
Communication Skills - 1 hour lecture

Criminal Law and Procedure (4 hours)
3 hours of lectures
1 hour tutorial

The remaining hours depend on what you combine law with, but I had 12 hours of Science (6 hours of labs, 6 hours of lectures).

snot

hey i got into law at UNE and was goin to that 4 a year and was wondering if it was possible to transfer to newcastle the year after

HSC
I'm pretty sure u can
but i went to a law info day for newcastle awhile ago and asked the same question and they said it'd probably be easier to get into the course u want to combine law with here and then combine it with law in ur second year
they said all u need to do that is an above credit rating in ur course
but I'm pretty sure u can transfer from une law to here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)