Law at MQ vs USYD (1 Viewer)

walshy122381595

HSC
So, I'm having trouble deciding between studying law at Macquarie or USYD. The degree I would be doing is a Bachelor of International Studies w/ Bachelor Laws, which can be done at either uni. I understand that USYD is waaaay more prestigious than MQ, but the two things that are making me lean more towards MQ are:

1) The exchange program seems a lot better, and this is important as at some stage I want to study overseas.
2) The internship program seems better at MQ as well, in that I understand the uni actually helps organise it for you. From what I've been told, USYD isn't so helpful in organising one and they sort of leave you to get it all done yourself, which could be a big hassle.

So my question is, is all of that correct? Are there more positives and negatives that I'm not aware of? At the moment I'm leaning towards MQ because of the reasons above (I also like the campus and atmosphere a lot more than USYD as well, and also the people/planet unit system is really cool), but is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
So, I'm having trouble deciding between studying law at Macquarie or USYD. The degree I would be doing is a Bachelor of International Studies w/ Bachelor Laws, which can be done at either uni. I understand that USYD is waaaay more prestigious than MQ, but the two things that are making me lean more towards MQ are:

1) The exchange program seems a lot better, and this is important as at some stage I want to study overseas.
2) The internship program seems better at MQ as well, in that I understand the uni actually helps organise it for you. From what I've been told, USYD isn't so helpful in organising one and they sort of leave you to get it all done yourself, which could be a big hassle.

So my question is, is all of that correct? Are there more positives and negatives that I'm not aware of? At the moment I'm leaning towards MQ because of the reasons above (I also like the campus and atmosphere a lot more than USYD as well, and also the people/planet unit system is really cool), but is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!
I'm not sure about 1) or 2), but I'm sure someone else can answer that. But, all I know is the annoying reality that if you've got two graduates, one from MQ and one from USYD, with similar marks and extracurriculars, the person from USYD will probably get employed. I'm not an employer and I know that's a huge generalisation, but I'm aware that some firms are drawn more to graduates from the most prestigious universities.

When I was choosing what uni to do law at, I initially had my heart set on MQ because it has an amazing environmental science faculty. I contacted my career advisor and she vehemently recommended UNSW over MQ because it's bigger and more prestigious. Obviously that's a massive generalisation but I understand where she was coming from. She also said that UNSW law teaching was quite unique and modern, and I've really enjoyed the teaching style. So you should definitely research the teaching styles for the other unis if this is an important consideration for you.

I have no idea about internships + exchange programs, but my advice would be to go to the open days, get a feel for each, and weigh that up with what's going to be best for you when you study at uni and in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)