Law at MQ vs UTS (1 Viewer)

nallask8r

HSC
Do the double law degrees at Macq hold any credibility within the legal workforce? Can you become a solicitor? For example would Bachelor of Bus Admin/Bachelor of Laws @ Macq be dismissed by employers in favour of a plain Bachelor of Laws @ UTS? BTW i got UAI 96.55

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Re: Law at Macq.

A law degree issued by any of the mainstream universities in NSW, or indeed a diploma in law as issued by the college of law, will fill the academic requirement for registration as a solicitor. Other requirements (such as practical legal training) must also be fulfilled in addition to this, and are usually satisifed through the completion of a graduate diploma in legal practice.

The GDip is part of the program at UTS I believe, and I am not sure about Macquarie. Whether or not it is offered at whichever institution you select is not really of any consequence - although you might still wish to consider it - as most graduates appear to complete the PLT through the college of law anyway.

Regarding the 'credibility' of either institution in the legal workforce, it really isn't a matter worth debating or possibly even considering. They are both good law schools. Run a search in this forum for 'prestige' in the topic title if you want to view further discussion on the subject.

*jellz*

HSC
yes, i wish someone had told me this while i was still in school, would have saved a lot of needless stress. It matters very little; the 'workforce' looks for great marks, involvement in extra curricular activities, community service and especially relevant work experience (i.e. paralegal or legal admin work) while you study. More and more these days, its the calibre of the individual candidate, rather than what law school they got into-- especially considering the whole 'Priestley 11' deal (we discussed this in another thread). In your position, I'd make the decision based on what I wanted to combine my degree with, and have a look at both uni's reputations in those areas (for example, Mac has a pretty good reputation in arts and finance, whereas UTS is better known for science and journalism).

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
*jellz* said:
yes, i wish someone had told me this while i was still in school, would have saved a lot of needless stress. It matters very little; the 'workforce' looks for great marks, involvement in extra curricular activities, community service and especially relevant work experience (i.e. paralegal or legal admin work) while you study. More and more these days, its the calibre of the individual candidate, rather than what law school they got into-- especially considering the whole 'Priestley 11' deal (we discussed this in another thread). In your position, I'd make the decision based on what I wanted to combine my degree with, and have a look at both uni's reputations in those areas (for example, Mac has a pretty good reputation in arts and finance, whereas UTS is better known for science and journalism).
This is completely unrelated to everything you just said (which was all correct for the record), but just six posts in more than two years? Holy crap! Now that's restraint. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)