Law at Newcastle Uni (1 Viewer)

wyho

HSC
N/A
hi unfortunately i missed out macquarie uni law by 1.X shy of UAI points, my uai 88.XX (i realli wanna go to this one!), i received an offer to study combined law at newcastle, the uai cutoff for this is:
mainround:csp 91, dfee 86
lateround:csp 93 dfee 88

what do u think about this uni? is this uni ok for law as in the employment opportunities? cos i heard from friends that the law firms in sydney mostly employ usyd,unsw,uts,anu,macq people.

if someone knows anything about newcastle uni law please reply thanks

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: law at newcastle uni???

wyho said:
cos i heard from friends that the law firms in sydney mostly employ usyd,unsw,uts,anu,macq people.
I haven't heard much about Newcastle Uni, but that is correct - in particular for larger firms.

HSC

law at newcastle was one of my choices too.. haven't heard much about the law course there.. maybe you can do law there and transfer to ANU, since it doesn't have the minimum 97 uai thingo!

HSC

if i were you, i would do the unsw eco course and achieve at least a 75% average and transfer to monash or anu... if you did the law newcastle route, you probably would have to start first year law again, since the law cirriculumn is different..and unsw looks better in your resume and to the law faculty admissions people (of the various unis u would be applying for)...

felix the cat11

Pirate Love
HSC
ive accepted law at newcastle, and ive only heard good things. pfft to all the people saying it wont look as good on your record. do well enough, and where you studied wont mean shiet.

poopoohead

HSC
Part 2 analyses 30 broad fields of study including law. The quality or otherwise of various law schools was measured against criteria including students’ perceptions of teaching quality, their overall satisfaction with the course, their success in getting a job and their starting salary. According to these measures the Law Schools of The University of Newcastle, The University of Wollongong, The University of New South Wales and Bond University are the best in Australia; at least according to the Good Guide’s comparison of student surveys.
this might help a little. from another post in this forum

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
poopoohead said:

this might help a little. from another post in this forum
As a student of UOW, I don't feel bad saying that whilst it may be 'ranked' as one of the best law schools in Australia according to some student-based measure, it certainly isn't the perception with the top tier firms. And let's face it, it's their perception that we're talking about here. USYD and UNSW crap all over everything in that department and no amount of surveys will change that.

That said, just because top tier firms recruit 'mostly' from the top Sydney unis, doesn't mean that they recruit only from those unis. I know UOW students who have obtained places without having to engage in a sex orgy with the senior partners - I'm sure it's the same case with UNCLE.

WAM > University.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)