Votes: 13 40.6%
  • B Business/B Laws @ UWS

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Today I just got an offer for B Arts/B Laws @ Notre Dame. I previously got an offer from UWS for B Business/B Laws.

I am at a dilema of what to choose. I plan to practice law after I graduate so I am wondering which law school of the 2 would probably be better? In some ranking thing done by some melbourne uni it said that the ND law school was better than that of UWS.

Btw, I would prefer to study arts with law as opposed to business with law as I don't particularly favor business and would more so appraciate the diversity of studies that an Arts degree provides.

So what do you guys think would be the best option for my situation? (Please give some evidence to back it up if possible).

THANKS!

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
ari89 said:
Today I just got an offer for B Arts/B Laws @ Notre Dame. I previously got an offer from UWS for B Business/B Laws.

I am at a dilema of what to choose. I plan to practice law after I graduate so I am wondering which law school of the 2 would probably be better? In some ranking thing done by some melbourne uni it said that the ND law school was better than that of UWS.

Btw, I would prefer to study arts with law as opposed to business with law as I don't particularly favor business and would more so appraciate the diversity of studies that an Arts degree provides.

So what do you guys think would be the best option for my situation? (Please give some evidence to back it up if possible).

THANKS!
Well mate its really up to you
its going totally different directions
business
or arts
you gotta look at what you enjoy
don't worry about which is a better uni for now
its what you enjoy
as I've said to you before, you can always transfer to your desired uni after one year if you do well.

Just choose which area you prefer out of business and law and go for that
Sounds like you're leaning towards arts though.
Ask yourself what do you see yourself majoring in in both areas?
for business-accounting, marketing, HR, ecos etc
for arts I have no idea
but its really what interests you...

Good luck with your decision though.

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
Hi Ari,

I agree with goan Crazy, go with the degree that interests you the most and it looks like you like arts over business. Have you done business studies for you HSC? What interests you about an arts degree?

I wouldn't worry to much about choosing between ND and UWS. I don't know much about quality of the ND law course and how prospective employers perceive the course either. All I know is one of the smaller uni's. The main campus is in WA and it recently opened another branch in NSW.

Last edited:

wagga

HSC
Provided you got the required UAI there is a chance u will be able to transfer to a different law course at UWS, e.g. arts law in the first week (well at least thats what macquarie told me)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
wagga said:
Provided you got the required UAI there is a chance u will be able to transfer to a different law course at UWS, e.g. arts law in the first week (well at least thats what macquarie told me)
I have the UAI to do arts/law at uws however it would mean I go to 2 campuses which would be a major hassle.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ hence the reason I went to UWS and then transfered to macq, I was looking at up to 4 campuses, I was willing to do it though because I wanted to do the units.

UND is private which means its not HECS funded

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
^ hence the reason I went to UWS and then transfered to macq, I was looking at up to 4 campuses, I was willing to do it though because I wanted to do the units.

UND is private which means its not HECS funded
They offer fee-help loans with fees being around the same price as a csp place at other unis (however, as fee-help there is the 20% loan fee).

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
I think that report is BS.

The law faculty is the only faculty where they have conducted a survey regarding the perception of quality but don't have any results for actual performance which is more important in my opinion. Their research is thus incomplete.

They have Melb Uni ranked 1 for law
ANU - 2
Sydney Uni - 2
UNSW - 4

If ANU and Sydney are equal second then UNSW should be third not fourth.

Optophobia

HSC
I also think that Melb Uni study is a load of shit.

-----

http://www.nd.edu.au/sydney/index.shtml said:
The University of Notre Dame Australia is Sydney’s newest university and the first private Catholic university on the East Coast of Australia.
*scary music from Jaws*

If you're going to do it at Notre Dame, you might as well do it at one of those heaps legitimate online universities.. the ones where you pay $1000 and they send you a certificate in the mail.

I don't really see how it would be a hassle doing the degree on more than one campus, unless you had a lecture at campus A and then a tutorial for another subject at Campus B on the same day. Other than this, i don't know how it could be an inconvenience.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of sticking with UWS for now. My possible scenarios(all involved me working my ass off to attain a high average):

• Transfering to another law school after first year (Macquarie/notre dame/ or UNSW/USYD if they feel sorry for me?)
  • LLM at Usyd or UNSW after the LLB at UWS?
  • Or just do really well at UWS
Any comments on the plan? Is it reasonable or totally off track?

Btw thanks for your help so far people!

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
are you going to do arts/law or com/law at UWS?

After you mentioned that there is a 20% interest on the loan for the fee paying course at ND Uni I would say hell no, stick with UWS.

HSC
First thing u should do) do well at UWS
2nd thing)Transfering to another law school after first year (Macquarie or UNSW/USYD if they feel sorry for me?) AFTER FIRST YEAR

If I were in your shoes, I would do this! Hmmm, wouldn't transfer to ND because you would have to pay! (not worth to pay sooo much at ND imo).. Isn't Bond the best privare uni??

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
I'm thinking of sticking with UWS for now. My possible scenarios(all involved me working my ass off to attain a high average):

• Transfering to another law school after first year (Macquarie/notre dame/ or UNSW/USYD if they feel sorry for me?)
  • LLM at Usyd or UNSW after the LLB at UWS?
  • Or just do really well at UWS
Any comments on the plan? Is it reasonable or totally off track?

Btw thanks for your help so far people!
One thing to note is that Masters of Law at USyd or UNSW is roughly $17,000 and you can't defer it

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Ok so do it at UWS
then:
transfer into macq
or
transfer into UTS

alot of people from UTS transfer to UNSW
and some UNSW ones transfer to usyd

:(

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I asked Mallesons the question lol

We would consider both Uni's the same. More important would be your academic achievements, your work experiences (legal or non-legal) and any extra curricular activities you have been involved with, whilst at Uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)